PDA

View Full Version : Deformable eyes

Ramteen
06-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey folks. I need some help. I`m currently busy with some character setup of mine. what I need to know is how to make the eyes of the character with squash and stretch deformation. In fact I want the eyes to be moved (deformed) by the mesh which is the head in this case. So when ever I either squash or stretch (or any other kind of deformation) the head geomery, I have the same deformation for the eyes as well. That`s what I really need to know. Hope you`ve got my exact point. Thanks guys.

S. J. Tubbrit
06-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Hi,

How do you 'currently' achieve head deformation ?

It's hard to answer your question without first knowing what you currently do, to see if I can think of a way to fit something into your pipeline ?

Few ways off hand,

1. parent eyes to head geo, will now do whatever the head does

2. parent eyes to head geo, ' and ' connect head scale to scale on 1st eye, then scale on second eye - may deform 'too' much for your liking though ?

3. Put both head and eyes geo into a lattice.

Hope this helps ?

cagebee
06-09-2007, 03:05 AM
hai s.j.tubbrit,

The method u says looks good..but when we squesh or stretch the eyeball...the inside of the eyeball (the black part) shouldnt squesh ..how do u tackle this...

we faced a similar problem sometime ago..

and we solved it like this...

we had two meshs for eye the white part (sorry dont know the correct name of it ;) ) which will seesh and stretch and the other is black which will be inthe same shape.

then we used some constraints so that the black slides over the white, so the eye had squesh and stretch and also the blacked remained same...

is it correct or u got some better solutions?

am i clear or too confusing?

Ramteen
06-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Thank both of u guys. let me make something clear. I`v used lattice deformation or wrap deformer already and I`v even tried to combine several technics together to achive a proper eye deformation. but the main deal is the eyes target. what if I wanna move the eyes target and I want the eyes to keep looking at it all the time, even though the character is moving some how. In your ways (your suggestions) if we move the eye target controller, it`s fine, means the eyes get rotated perfectly. but if we try to move the character (or deform the character) we`ll see that the eyes will look straight instead of keep looking at the controllers. I hope I could`ve explaned it properly so you can help me to figure it out. :)

thank you friends :)

Remi
06-15-2007, 06:59 PM
How are you're eye constraints setup? And if you want to use geo/normal constraints you'll have to set those up correctly or you'll get some weird things happening. I just got done setting something like this up on one of our cars here and what I did was this.

I created 2 locators, geo/normal constrained them to the geo I need the pupils to stay attached to. I then parented the pupil geo to those locators. Now, this wasn't on a sphere shape but a flat windshield shape, so I didn't aim constrain this setup to the target curve but I connected translations through the connection editor. You could use an aim constraint if they are spherical shapes though and it should work fine. Then you can use the lattice/wrap deformation combo and things should deform fine without deforming the pupil geo. If you want the pupil geo to deform just add it to the deformer via the membership tool. You can also use non-linear deformers on this as well and those work fine too. Not sure if this is helpful or even made sense, but it worked here, perhaps you could post up an example scene so we could see what kind of issues you're having.

Ramteen
06-15-2007, 07:40 PM
All right guys. I gusse I need to explane it in another way.

here I`v uploaded a "ma" file (atteched to this post). it`s simple but having the essential controlers for the eye brows. you can move them to see the deformation of the eye brows. and an eye target also. I need you to rig the eyes in a way that keeps the eyes looking at the controler all the time, while we can have eye deformations with the eye brows translations. even though we move the head geometry.

Use any techniqe and please let me know how you`v done that. I appreciate that.:thumbsup: thank you friends :)

Remi
06-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Sorry, i'm not using 8 (7.5 here), otherwise I would help out. But i'm guessing you have something messed up in your hiearchy.

Ramteen
06-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry, i'm not using 8 (7.5 here), otherwise I would help out. But i'm guessing you have something messed up in your hiearchy.

oops. I gusse to be able and open the file, you should change every codes to maya 7( in word pad or any text editor enviroment). It`s "ma" file ;)

and by the way every thing is fine in hiearchy, it`s not an error, I`m just trying to find a way and achive the effect I`v been looking for. :)

Remi
06-15-2007, 11:45 PM
See if this works on your end. Hope so. Works here.:buttrock: I uploaded an unsaved version. Re-download for a new version. Sorry about that.

Ramteen
06-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks a lot Remi. you`v helped me a lot. much more than any one ever. That`s pretty good actualy. We can move the eye controler and the head as well while the eyes are looking at the eye controler. that`s cool. But if we deform the eyebrows (and either move the targets or the head), the shape of eyes will explode and deforme as if there is something wrong.

but thanks very much Remi. I gusse we`re achieving there.:)

Remi
06-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Ahhh...now I see what you're saying. Sorry. Yea, that's going to be a problem when moving the head geo. You could do the setup on seperate geo and the use a blendnode to drive the actual geo that will be moving. Otherwise, you'll be getting double transformations on the lattice. That should work. I think:)

Remi
06-18-2007, 11:32 PM
This file should be what you're wanting. Let me know if that works for you.

I needed to have two lattices that deform two different sets of eyes, one is wrapped and then blends into the other lattice that's parented to joint1, it's what deforms the eyes that are tageted and won't have double transformations as before.

Ramteen
06-19-2007, 05:00 PM
This file should be what you're wanting. Let me know if that works for you.

I needed to have two lattices that deform two different sets of eyes, one is wrapped and then blends into the other lattice that's parented to joint1, it's what deforms the eyes that are tageted and won't have double transformations as before.

Wow.Thank you a TONE. You did it finally. that`s what I`v been looking for man. Thanks. I`m gonna see what you`v done and play with it around to find out new things :)) he he he .

See ya .:scream:

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2007, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.