PDA

View Full Version : mi_car_paint_phen + bump map?

foggyball
06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
How do you add a bump map to the car paint shader?

bwheels02
06-07-2007, 11:54 PM
My version on Maya right now wont open so, this is straight from memory. In the mental ray nodes of the hypershade scroll down to textures tab. Create a mib_bump_map or mib_bump_map2 (..map2 might be easier) and you'll have to also create a mib_texture_vector to connect your file that's creating the bump for 3d. then you somehow (haha) connect these nodes together to get your car_paint_phen to have a bump. Hope this helps you figure it out. :)

wizlon
06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Here's another answer, hope this helps.

You can use a mib_bump_map2 node. It will let you assign a color (car_paint) and a tex where you load your bump map (mental_ray texture node is created).

This is to avoid the network using mib_bump_basis and remaps, etc. I've been using this to add bump maps to mia_*, misss_* ...

wizlon
06-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Can I do this with a Maya procedural texture instead of a file texture?

eddgarpv
06-08-2007, 03:24 PM
You can try p_maya_shadingengine ( http://www.puppet.cgtalk.ru/shaders_p/docs/p_mayashadingengine.html ). This will let you connect any procedural/file to any mr/maya shader. It's compiled for windows but the source code is available (I've got it compiled for linux64).

It that one doesn't work for you, then try using the mental ray setup described here: http://www.highend3d.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=166385&hl=bump+map

bgawboy
06-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Use misss_set_normal to convert maya bump map shaders into the form used by mi, such as mib_bump_map2. So it should work to put your procedural maya bump into misss_set_normal, then that into whatever uses a bump in mi shaders such as mib_bump_map2, mia_material, misss_fast_sss_maya, etc.

wizlon
06-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks all for your help, but I really need to apply the procedural bump on mi_car_paint_phen. which has no bump slot.

Cheers.

eddgarpv
06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
The p_maya_shadingengine includes a bump slot, there you override the normal information from the shader you're using... this means you don't need to have a bump slot in car_phen shader :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2007, 03:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.