PDA

View Full Version : Rig importing

juako
06-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Hi I'm using MAX , and i cant import rigs or merge them to new files. I always have problems with some part of the rig.
In a pipeline production how do you handle this problem?, making complex rigs with scripts that don't break up when you merge them all together.

Any advice or tip would be great :)

S-S
06-11-2007, 09:27 PM
First thing is to give meaningful names to objects. Then give each rig / character / object prefix. Char1_* Car1_* - for each part of each object.
This way you can easily merge as many rigs as you need to into same scene, even if they are identical.
Another thing is to take care of script controllers. You have to use variables, do not use "hard coded" object names in scripts. This way changing object names doesn't ruin the link to nodes you want to point to. This is not problem with wires, but it's long time since i have used wires.

Hope this helps!

juako
06-11-2007, 09:55 PM
thanks S-S , but how do you use variables to refer to objects. For example i have an ik fk switch , in my script i use $Box21 to refer to objects but when i imported in a new file twice both scripts refer to the same object.

S-S
06-12-2007, 10:12 AM
In that case, you would first create the script controller.
Lets say you have it in z position of teapot.

First add "Float script" controller.
Then, in the float script UI, there is a "Create variable" button. Insert a name, "myBox" for example. Click create.
Then Press "Assign track" to browse a channel like position or rotation, of selected object. Or in your case, you could just point to "Box21" object (select Assign node instead)
In the code of the script, replace "$Box21" with "myBox".
Try it. Further information can be found in 3dsmax / scripting forum, just do a search. I hope this helps!

PEN
06-12-2007, 06:46 PM
$Box21...you have to be kidding? This is the first lesson, name every thing with definining names line $Fred_Control_Rhand.

Second, using names directly in code means that if that names changes or is duplicated in a scene it will not know what object to perform the operations on.

Read up on the usage of script controllers in the help or get my DVD's. The part on the new script controllers is at the end of the forth DVD where I do updates for Max 7,8.

EricDLegare
06-13-2007, 12:16 AM
$Box21...you have to be kidding? This is the first lesson, name every thing with definining names line $Fred_Control_Rhand.

Quoted for truth :D

juako
06-14-2007, 03:26 AM
thanks S-S!!

I know i should name everything according to what it does, but am really lazy i know its a horrible habit but it was a test to make an ik fk switch only with the arm. Anyway thanks for the info about the dvd.
I would try to be more carefully in the future about naming objects.

Sorry for the delay :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2007, 03:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.