PDA

View Full Version : Fur volume tile seam

Fathom
06-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi guys,

i'm having to render out a field of grass. I'm having some pretty good speeds with the fur volume renderer. The primitive option was way to slow. But I'm just having some quality issues. There seems to be a tile seam across the scree space. It seems to be related to the render task size. Is it possible to improve or remove this artifact. I assume it's related to how mr is rendering the volume. I tried changing the task size but it seems to have no affect. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

hakanpersson
06-07-2007, 12:44 AM
cant give you a clear answer on your problem, as it was eternity since i used fur last time. But the problem probably comes from the texture rescaling and compression. The fur map that contains the information where the pelt it (baldness?), probably gets heavily scaled down when its saved. This process blurs out the texture-seam and it will be clearly noticeable.

You can probably use larger textures, or in worst cases download an iff reader to photoshop and rettouch the baldness map yourself, or you can just continue to curse maya fur for all the pain it can deliver to its users;)

Seriously, its probably good once you learn it, but I never really got the hang of it. Problems like those you have, plus many more made me quit using it.

/Håkan

hakanpersson
06-07-2007, 12:46 AM
on the other hand I wasnt reading too well:) I guess your problem can be something completely different. Btw, my experience is that maya software renders alot faster than mr, with better result too.

Fathom
06-07-2007, 12:57 PM
In my current experience I am finding maya software renderer kicks mr butt except for one thing: fur casting shadows onto objects. But for self shadowing fur maya sw is much faster.
I have chosen to go mr primitives with raytraced shadows. The new mac pro we're using seems to be able to render at a semi-decent pace, 15 minutes per 2 k frame. It'll do. Have you used Joe Alters Shave yet? We had a trial but didn't get to run in on a production.

Ash-Man
06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
what Vr of Maya you are using ?

also that could be comming from the light shadows...

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.