PDA

View Full Version : what software to use to create avi?

erwin1978
03-18-2003, 03:05 AM
So what software do I use to create a movie from the rendered images I have? Is it a compositor like Shake? What's the difference between a compositor and what Adobe Premiere can do? Don't they both do the same thing?

Chris
03-18-2003, 03:54 AM
They'd probably handle a task such as that about as good as each other. There are some freeware apps around for that matter that will do as good a job.

Its only going to be when you start putting together a 180 layer 3d composite with chroma keying, rotoscoping, objects tracked to video etc that a video editor like Premiere will start looking pretty limited. ;)

However, if you just want to cut up some clips & add a couple of transitions, a video editor is going to fly through it compared to a compostor

beaker
03-18-2003, 10:11 PM
>>So what software do I use to create a movie from the rendered images I have?

For just making images into a movie you can use any app that handles video like Premiere or Afterfx. Shake can do it too, but it isn't really made for that kind of job.

>>What's the difference between a compositor and what Adobe Premiere can do?

Premiere is an editor like avid products, final cut pro, etc... It is for cutting together pieces of video in a sequence that you see on the screen. Kind of like a layout program for video. Shake, afterfx, combustion, Digital fusion are compositors for adding effects to the shots. You can use shake to edit and premiere to add effects, but that is like putting a square peg in a round hole. Right tool for the right job.

dg
03-18-2003, 11:54 PM
Just adding a few things to what Beaker said
Premiere is a editing application, editing app have realtime playback, more tools for cuting and trimming and have a better support when dealing with audio, and you also have the option of capturing your video and send them back to tape (requires a specific hardware).

So a simple video production pipeline will be something like this:

--- EDITING
1 - Scene selection
2 - Capture
3 - Pre edit
4 - Send some scenes for composinting
--- COMPOSITING
5 - Compositing
6 - Send them back to editing
--- EDITING
7 - Final edit
8 - Export to tape

Of course this will change a lot depending in which type of video work you are dealing with. In some cases the editing happens before and the movie is finalized in compositing.

I was almost forgeting for turning frame sequences in video you can use QuickTime PRO is cheap and handles the work fine, without having to learn another complex tool. With 30 bucks your problem is solved

I hope that helps,
See Ya! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.