PDA

View Full Version : negative rotations

Gemini
03-18-2003, 01:52 AM
hey, so i got some rotation problems. for some reason, my right arm insists on rotating negativley while the left is positive. even the local rotation axis rotates backwards. i don't understand. maybe it was the way that i duplicated it.

i basically duplicated from the 1st neck joint(which included the arm), and then i just scaled it in neg x. just a little parenting fix-up and i thought i was home clear. then this stuff. i would love to hear if you guys have any ideas. thanks.

kmp3d
03-18-2003, 05:40 AM
I'm not totally sure how you mirrored your joints but I'd advise using the mirror joint options under the skeleton menu. When you mirror you'll probably want to select orientation and not behavior. And when you mirror don't pick a joint on the spine, pick the first joint that is off of the spine that is connected to the arm. Does that make sense????

:bounce:

MasonDoran
03-24-2003, 10:49 AM
there is an expression you can use for when this happens if you are using control objects to rotate the joint...you just create an expression that inverses the rotation of the control object to the joint

Gemini
03-24-2003, 07:22 PM
that is actually what i ended up doing, and it is fine. thanks for the help.

michaelcomet
03-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Any time you scale an axis negatively you will start to get reverse rotation issues, which is why I dislike scaling joints personally. I prefer to use some sort of joint realign script, something like Jason Shleifers DVD jsOrientJoint command etc to fix orientations on joints, mirrored or not. That way I can set my local axis up however I need to for each side explicitly.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.