PDA

View Full Version : Dual DDR ?

Schwinnz
03-18-2003, 02:25 AM
Hi !

Am I better to use 2x 512mb ddr 266 in dual DDR or 1x1gb ddr 266 in single DDR ? Will the performance gain be really noticeable ?

Valkyrien
03-18-2003, 02:37 AM
2x512. If one stick goes bad, you can still run your computer while waiting for a replacement;)

Schwinnz
03-18-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Valkyrien
2x512. If one stick goes bad, you can still run your computer while waiting for a replacement;)

Not stupid but the question was more : Does it take 2 DDR modules (2x512) to make DualDDR work or only one (1x1024) ?

Also is the speed difference significant (%) ?

Tellerve
03-18-2003, 03:49 AM
It takes two modules of ram, so 2x512 to make it work. As for the benefit, I don't know of the top of my head the % but it is there, how significant considering you need a new motherboard is up to you. If you already have the ram and everything and can sell your motherboard then the upgrade might not be too much at all and worth it. Assuming your using the amd ala Nforce2 chipset you'll probably see some improvement because it is a great chipset. If your using dual Xeons with the e7505 chipset well, more memory bandwidth is never a bad thing :)

Tellerve

Schwinnz
03-18-2003, 04:00 AM
Ok, but is for a P4 on a E2705 chipset..

I'm buying a completely new computer so I just wanted to be sure before I order everything. I'll order everything before the end of the week and wish it'll be all shipped before the end of the next week. :applause:

Valkyrien
03-18-2003, 04:07 AM
"Dual DDR?" Elaborate...

Schwinnz
03-18-2003, 04:30 AM
oops I mean Dual-channel DDR

elvis
03-18-2003, 04:45 AM
dual-channel DDR is exactly that: two channels controlling two separate chips asynchronously and independantly. the advantage is that while one channel is waiting for ram to recharge or is gathering data, the other channel can still access the other stick of ram independently.

so long story short: yes, you do need two physically separate sticks of ram to use dual-channel DDR.

is it worth it? if you are doing some heavy multi-tasking, or memory bandwidth intensive work, then yes. i'd say just about anyone browsing these forums would see some sort of advantage from that type of setup based on the work we all do.

GregHess
03-18-2003, 04:49 AM
PC2100 DDR bandwidth 2.1 Gigs/sec

Dual Channel PC2100 DDR Bandwidth 4.2 gigs/sec

The math is pretty easy to follow. These of course are theoretical maximums. You won't actually have that exact bandwidth, but it'll be close.

You'll also note that Dual Channel PC2100 gives about the same bandwidth as PC800 Rambus...which is widely known as one of the best performing ram combinations with the pentium IV. The more bandwidth the P4 has, the faster it goes. This is why intel is moving to an 800 FSB, and to 400 megahertz DC-DDR. Just that increase in bandwidth is showing a 10-15% improvement in a multitude of scores.

The Asus E7205 Manual clearly states that if you want to use DC-DDR, you'll have to use identical dimms (same type and size) if you want to make use of DC-DDR. Thus it would be in your best interest...if you want maximum performance from your new system (and it'll be a big difference due to the P4 being quite a bandwidth hungry cpu), that you purchase two 512 meg dimms, instead of 1 1024 meg dimm.

You can download the asus manual, or other e7205 manuals from the manufactureres websites.

elvis
03-18-2003, 10:57 AM
good quality ram also helps. two sticks of nanya ram may well work, but if you care about your ystsem stability it's worth the extra for some corsair.

Sieb
03-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Corsair sells dual sticks of matching ram especially for DC-DDR.
These being their XMS TWINX series: http://www.corsairmicro.com/xms/xms_modules.html

Schwinnz
03-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info - but Corsair is so much expensive, and Munchkin (something like that ;) ). Are Micron, Crucial and Samsung good sticks ?

elvis
03-18-2003, 10:53 PM
crucial is quite good in my experience. i'm quite a kingmax fan for medium level pricing and performance also. i've had some bad experiences with samsung in the past, but i know others who have done well with it. might just have been a bad batch that i was unlucky enough to get. :shrug:

Sieb
03-19-2003, 12:47 AM
I have had good and bad experiences with Crucial, have also heard good and bad. But generally they are acceptable, but I would take Corsair or Mushkin over Crucial. Crucial uses Mircon chips.

Schwinnz
03-19-2003, 01:32 AM
ok, so I'll take micron memory. Corsair and Mushkin are way out of my budget ! :hmm:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.