PDA

View Full Version : Meta Cloud alphas?

Rumpus King
06-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Does anybody know if meta-clouds show up correctly in the alpha channel when enabled? I haven't been able to find anything out about it in the docs. :shrug:

Thanks!

Wabe
06-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Nope, they are not. They are seen as part of the sky/background.

BUT, i think I vaguely remember that I have read somewhere that you can try to do a multi-pass renderer with each object as separate layer. Then you seem to get it.

Rumpus King
06-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks! That's what I thought.

Boy, that'd sure be useful to have, wouldn't it? Anybody from E-on read this forum? Can I make a feature request here and now? :)

Wabe
06-06-2007, 06:52 PM
It IS requested, believe me.

But I found now the information to a sort of workaround for this problem.

Enable Multi-pass and check the option "object masks". And when the information is true you will get the mask for the metacloud.

Rumpus King
06-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I've tried Object Masks (Layer Masks too) and I get black frames. Is Vue picky about the file format? I'm writing .tga's, but it defaults to .bmp. Maybe I should just stick with that?

But it should work! I get the feeling I'm missing something stupid, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is...

Wabe
06-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Do you get black frames with other objects too?

And yes, I would try several formats to see if it is a problem with a specific file format or not. If you do not find a working case I would report it to e-on technical support. It could be a bug.

Rumpus King
06-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Plants and terrain show up fine in the alpha channel, but I haven't tried them in the multi-pass.

And on second thought, I don't think it's a file type issue. They don't show up in a render to screen either.

It's not a bug, it's a feature! :)

Wabe
06-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, an old supprt engineer told me once - 95% of the problems sit in front of the monitor!

Nah, seriously. I tried it and here it works - i enclose a screenshot.

All I did was to select multipass and object masks. I let all save as separate files into a folder, all bmp. But even the render to screen gave me the option to display the related mask, as you can see in the screenshot.

The question now is how much sense this mask makes because what it is in fact is the mask of the spheres that define the cloud, not the cloud itself. You can see it when you select the metacloud color image, the speres are cut out, not only the cloud.

Rumpus King
06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Well, an old supprt engineer told me once - 95% of the problems sit in front of the monitor!
:) Oh I'm an outstanding idiot, there's no denying!
Nah, seriously. I tried it and here it works - i enclose a screenshot.

All I did was to select multipass and object masks. I let all save as separate files into a folder, all bmp. But even the render to screen gave me the option to display the related mask, as you can see in the screenshot.
Which I did too and it didn't show. But I'm still not ruling out random stupidity on my part.
The question now is how much sense this mask makes because what it is in fact is the mask of the spheres that define the cloud, not the cloud itself. You can see it when you select the metacloud color image, the speres are cut out, not only the cloud.
Yes. So that matte is pretty much useless for any actual work.

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.