PDA

View Full Version : Transfert Maps (Maya 8.5)

smoluck
06-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Does anyone have used the Transfer Maps tool on Maya 8.5 ?

I've model 2 mesh (an HD and a LD) but when I want to bake the Ambient Occlusion from the Hd to the LD mesh, I got my LD mesh occlude some part in the image, that generate a faceted AO map. (I already tried to turn off primary visibility tag on the LD mesh, but there is still the same problem in the intersect area between the 2 mesh.

hakanpersson
06-05-2007, 05:12 PM
perhaps check the settings first, try a default setting, it should be working properly despite low-q. Also try changing in advanced settings, surface normals/geometry normals. And make sure the scale/rot/location of the high and low matches. Check the model, clean-up. Try surface front and surface back in the settings.

And if nothing of all mentioned above works, bake occlusion down into a texture on the highpoly and transfer the texture over to the lowpoly.
But really it should work straight off, without hiding one or the other mesh, or chaning their renderstats or anything like that.
/håkan

techmage
06-05-2007, 07:47 PM
I never figured out how to make transfer maps produce non-faceted AO transfers. The best I can tell, the feature was designed to transfer the maps of super hi poly models in the millions from zbrush, or displacement mapped meshes, which in such a case being faceted wouldn't matter cause the mesh is just so dense.

You can use the FG occlusion with some high sampling settings as a work around. The FG occlusion does take normal smoothing into account.

If your gonna be doing alot of baking and map transfering, look into turtle, most comprehensive baking system I've seen yet.

JamesDeschenes
03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
I know that this thread is pretty old by now, but I just thought I would post a workarround to the initial problem, since I always find myself searching old threads and finally finding someone else experiencing my problem, only to have no solution.

In anycase, I was having the faceting problem, and I was able to remove it by smoothing my target mesh (not the hi-res source mesh) a few times before performing the transfer. Aftwords the map showed no facets and displaced properly.

Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2008, 02:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.