PDA

View Full Version : wiring parameters

supasye
06-05-2007, 12:31 AM
hi,,

when i insert a wiring parameter for the rotation of object a to affect object b, on pressing the connect button object b rotates slightly, so the starting point is different, also, when i then rotate object a, object b rotates the opposite direction.. how can i avoid this?

thanks..

wamo
06-05-2007, 07:05 AM
at first, better using zero_out
alt+right click the choose freeze transform.
then use wire parameters.

...maybi works

Isia
06-05-2007, 11:07 AM
as wamo said, the objects have garbage values in the rotation channels. I found that adding a rotation list, then a second euler rotation can help too, just wire the second set of euler rotations instead of the first.

as for the objects rotating in opposite directions, that sounds like an orientation issue, which is easily fixed just by changing the expression in the wiring to negative. (by adding a - at the beginning of the expression).

Hope that helps

PEN
06-05-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure that it is fair to say that the values are garbage values. That is leading them to believe that the values are not needed.

Read up on my site in the tuts section about rotations and it will give you a better idea of what id going on.

Here is a brief idea of what is happening. Every objects transform is based off the parents transform. So we will assume that object B is linked to object A.

If B is aligned to A in orientation the rotation of B will be [0,0,0]. If I rotate A, B will rotate as well since it is linked to it. So if I rotate A to a value of [90,0,0] and then check on the value of B it will still be at a value of [0,0,0] as it is still aligned to its parent. If we were to create object C now and rotate it to a value of [180,0,0] and then wire the rotation of B to C, B's rotation would snap to a value of [180,0,0] but compared to its parent which has been rotated to [90,0,0]. What this would give you is a world rotation value of [270,0,0] for object B. It would not be aligned to C be cause it is also inheriting the rotation from A.

Using list controllers you can create zero values for objects that already have rotations, positions or any other value in any other track. When you use the Freeze Transforms option in the Alt+rc quad you are adding another layer of controllers. The first controller will hold the value that the object was currently at (This was refered to as the garbage value) the second controller is additive so it will start at a value of [0,0,0].

Isia
06-06-2007, 08:25 PM
The term garbage values was probably the wrong term to use as you stated PEN, so my apologies for that. I did not actually realise that the wiring inherits both the wired object (in your example, object C) and the parent.

(Maybe I am not quite ready to start helping others yet ;) )

So thank you for correcting me and clearing that up :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2007, 08:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.