PDA

View Full Version : CG Short film: The Battle of Backyard

theflash
06-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I am creating this animated shortfilm called "The battle of backyard" in my summer quarter as a personal project. But since I want to finish this in summer quarter (around 3 months) and I feel that my script is too ambitious for myself right now, the only place I thought to get help and work on team is here.

So I have my script almost ready (it is in the final drafting versions). And I have some concept drawings ready, along with half of the storyboard.

I am looking for a short team of people to work on this short film. I am open to ideas and for number of team members.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/maulik13/battleofbackyardmain50.jpg

synopsis:
It's a story about a father and his son. Son is probably around the age of 6. He desperately wants to play with his father. But his father is kind of shy and reserved to play pirates dressed in a costume and playing around. He thinks that he would really look funny and fool playing that. But his son is really determined and he tries to convey his father in different ways. After lots of efforts father realizes that he can play and in the end they go to the journey of pirates in an imaginary world.

For title: The father kind of struggles in playing pirates with his son and that he also faces a battle inside him. Also they are playing in their backyard. Hence I came up with this title.

Basically story is simple, but I chose this because I find that we can show a lot of emotions and acting in this story. And the end of the story is more of imaginative and can be really creative.

Current status:
Script : In final stage
Concepts : Almost finalized, need more critiques
Storyboard : 60% done

Right now I would love you get suggestions and ideas on how to go about this film. Probably I can share the script I have with people who are interested. Let me know.

theflash
06-04-2007, 10:53 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/maulik13/Battle%20of%20Backyard/Picture002_resize.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/maulik13/Battle%20of%20Backyard/Picture003_resize.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/maulik13/Battle%20of%20Backyard/Picture004_resize.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/maulik13/Battle%20of%20Backyard/Picture005_resize.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/maulik13/Battle%20of%20Backyard/Picture006_resize.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/maulik13/Battle%20of%20Backyard/Picture007_resize.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/maulik13/Battle%20of%20Backyard/Picture008_resize.jpg

theflash
06-04-2007, 11:03 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/maulik13/Battle%20of%20Backyard/initialchars.jpg

These are three different concepts for the son's character. I like the 2nd one and mostly it's going to be the final one. But let me know your views guys.

TheFreak
06-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Hey There,

Nice to see another collab on board. Just thought I would pop in and say hello and good luck with this. I am pretty busy with "Fetch" at the moment but if I have any spare time I will try and help you out with modelling.

However in an attempt to help you drum up some interest it might be an idea to flesh out exactly what it is you are looking for and what you yourself are doing on the short.

Are you just the writer and storyboarder?
Do you specifically need Modellers/Animators/Riggers/Matt Painters etc
What software is the animation being completed in (this will help with animators)
What are your plans for the short (doesn't usually bother me but people like to know)

This might help you get some more people in.

The story sound interesting but I can't really see whats going on in it, but then again I would probably need a full script to see what you are seeing :)

Have a look at some of the larger collabs on the forum (Shirowproject, Minus Thirith, Fetch, Hardwired etc) and you will get an idea of how they started and pulled people on board.

BTW I like characters 2 & 3. The shape of 2 (maybe reduce the ears) and the eyes on 3

If you are will to texture I will definitly be able to throw you some models. Texturing is my nemesis at the moment. I am working on it but it slows things down quite a bit and Fetch has my main head as far as collabs go, but I am always willing to help other projects if I can.

Good luck with this.

theflash
06-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Hey thanks theFreak, am glad somebody asks questions because I did not know exactly what others might be looking for. Anyways here is more elaboration on what you asked.

I am a scad animation student. I would be helping in most of the phases mostly modelling, texturing, rigging but mainly animation. I have never 3d character animation before (though I have done a project where I did till rigging) I am no pro, but I have a strong desire to make something good and that's why I feel I will be able to pull the quality to high level.
Since project is just starting up, I will need all kind of people from modellers ro riggers and probably some concept ideas for props and environment.
Software I know is 3dsmax and I think that learning Maya for this project would take ages for me (I don't like its UI at all).
I am planning this shortfilm for the portfolio piece and to get more experienced and ofcourse have fun :)
Character designs are in the final drafts, for the boy yeah I need to tweak the 2nd choice a bit and I can make the final character sheets. I think father's character design is final, but I still have to work on mother's characer designs.

I know it might be still not clear what's the point of the story because there are lots of things I would prefer not to disclose right now. May be once people get interested and team grows I can discuss it further.

I have already been keeping watch on Fetch and it is coming really great, congo to the team and especially omar. I am really inspired by that effort and so I decided to put my project as collab.

Thanks for your offer, I would love to have you on the project, but since you are also busy with Fetch and it is coming along so nice I can understand your situation. But hey I will definitely ask you for some help on texturing :)

garrison3285
06-10-2007, 02:13 AM
I'd be happy to do enviromental/non-organic art for the project. I haven't really attempted anything on the cinematic side yet but I've been wanting to for along time.

theflash
06-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi Jordan, warm welcome. Glad you showed interest in the project. And I like your work too.

Sorry for being absent for 2 days I didnt have internet access.

I would love to know about yourself like what kind of work you do or would like to do and stuff. If you would like to see the current script let me know Jordan.

First of all I would like to do some brainstorming as to how to setup the whole project to make the execution easier. Should we first develop concept drawings more and see what works and what now or we want to just jump in directly. I think both methods have some pros/cons so it depends on how team wants. So I will be waiting for more people to join. Meanwhile I will keep working on the story and concept drawings.

garrison3285
06-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Do you have MSN, Xfire, Yahoo, any messenger?

Nicoone
06-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Just like the Freak im working also on fetch but I might be able to help you too, organic modeling is not my strong point, so eviroment and objects are nice, but I can try organic also, I love a challenge.

Ill hear it when you need me.

Cheers

garrison3285
06-12-2007, 12:39 PM
I feel we should develop more Concept Art, the Theme/Mood of what you are looking for hasn't really been set yet. Storyboards would also help.

I'll stop by the hobby shop and pick up some more sketch pads and some new pencils after work today, If you wanna send me a copy of the script that would be cool.

nookienick
06-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Heya, I'm currently lookiing for a project to get involved in (exams finish tomorrow woohoo!) but I'm not sure if my skill level is what you're looking for (my first and only short is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcgEwNwVNxk ). I will have plenty of time on my hands now and I want to focus it all on 3d, at the moment im interested in any aspect of it (except concept, I'm not very good at drawing)

On another note, looking at the kid concept he looks kinda old for a 6 year old in my eyes, personally I think concept 2 above is the best, but the ears and chin not so sharp, his forehead is a little too high and I'd also give him slightly rounder/wider cheeks in proportion to the rest of his head, will also make him cuter hehe. Guess in the end it depends on the overall style you want.

Good luck with it all!

theflash
06-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Jordan, here is my msn account maulik_ar13[at]hotmail.com Let me know when you add me...
And yeah I agree about more concept drawings, I was thinking that myself. Between to your what address should I send the script?

Nicoone, that's great. I will let you know when I have a list of things to be modelled ready. Thanks :)

Hi nookitnick, thanks for showing your interest. You can surely get invloved. I have not much preference for current skill level, my only concern is the output quality. Even myself is not done much in 3d but targetting quality work will make us push our skills so. I am trying to figure out how to plan the whole project and am still looking for more responses to discuss the plan.

garrison3285
06-14-2007, 12:47 AM
I have added you,

garrison3285@yahoo.com is the email I check the most.

theflash
06-14-2007, 01:28 AM
E-mail sent! go through the script and let me konw what do you feel.

Nicoone
06-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey the flash,

could you sent me the script too? I like too see it, and maybe i have some usefull comments.
You can send it to: nielsmedemblik@hotmail.com.

Thx

garrison3285
06-15-2007, 12:57 PM
flash you should spice it up some. Remember this is CG, right now you could shoot the whole script in realtime just using a camera. I could do some revises and send you an example if you'd like.

theflash
06-16-2007, 12:33 AM
yup jordan I completely agree with you, I havent added the end part where there would be extensive utilization of 3d medium. Initial part would be more of acting and dialogues. So the story has both parts acting and utilization of 3d medium.

You can edit and send over if you want. No problem at all. Or if you have got any idea you can send over too.

I know I am kind of slow right now on this project, but I just need some ideas to click in my mind to get rolling.

theflash
06-16-2007, 12:36 AM
Hey the flash,

could you sent me the script too? I like too see it, and maybe i have some usefull comments.
You can send it to: nielsmedemblik@hotmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/nielsmedemblik@hotmail.com).

Thx

Sure nicoone, more comments better it is for improvement. Email sent! Remember this is not the finished script, I still have to add end in the story.

Nicoone
06-16-2007, 02:02 AM
Ill read it as soon as possible and ill comment on it, you must keep in mind its your script not ours;) (So, dont take every comment that i'm probely gona yell seriously:P)

theflash
06-18-2007, 04:26 PM
hehe I understand that nicoone :) But thanks anyway. Any help is appreciated.

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2007, 04:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.