PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave PC to Mac issues?

MellowFellon
06-04-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm moving over to a mac system, and I was wondering if there are certain sandpit's I can be expecting in terms of performance or bugs, or plugins?

jayezon
06-08-2007, 02:22 AM
Yes there can be problems with moving over from PC to Mac with Lightwave. Particularly with third party plugins. You are also limited in what is available with a Mac as some really useful freeware plugins and tools only exist for PC.

I have encountered problems with .mdd files that were created on the PC and opened with a Mac also. That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Things may have changed since v9 came out though. I haven't had the chance to use anything higher than 8.5 at this stage.

All the best and I hope your transition is a smooth one!

Jase.

Bytehawk
06-10-2007, 08:26 AM
If there 's a plugin you desparately need, you can always dual boot winXP. Macs have the advantage now they too can run windoze if really neccesary...

jayezon
06-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Ah yes you can dual boot. Still sounds like a dream.

Not sure what the performance is like as I haven't tried it...

That was NOT a cue to start debating.

Enjoy your 3D anyway you like it!

Cheers.

Rabbitroo
06-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Wouldn't recommend it. LW is not UB yet, so Intel-based Macs underperform (yes, I know Newtek is working on it.)

Reliability on a Mac (as LW user of close to a decade) is generally an up and down affair.

Plugins come and go. Unfortunately many plugins just aren't available on the Mac.

fPrime/SaS and the Worley stuff is not at its best on Mac.

Overall, if you're running LW, you're better off sticking to a PC. If you transition to Mac, you may want to look at other alternatives.

-K

miurajiro
08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Is this still the consensus with the current version? Better to run on PC because of available plugs and stability/performance? What about boot camp or parallels? I'm considering buying a new Imac.
Thank you.

manji312
08-23-2007, 10:45 PM
The 9.3 UB version runs quite well on my mac pro and is pretty stable so far. Yeah many plugins aren't available, but I rarely use plugins anyway. It also runs pretty solidly under windows via bootcamp. I have it installed both ways.

miurajiro
08-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info Manji.
I'm pretty certain i'm going with LW and i think they
are great for having both mac/window versions in
their box.

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2007, 07:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.