PDA

View Full Version : Compositing Paint Effects with MR -problem

deltaindigo
06-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi,
I try to make an exterior scene and I need large surfaces covered with grass and trees.Because of RAM and huge render time I can't render those stroke with mentalray, insted I chose to render the basic geometry(the buildings) with MentalRay and the Paint Effects with MayaSoftware in 2 steps:
1. I rendered the scene with MR and Z depth - image format IFF
2. I rendered only paint effects with Maya Software - image format IFF- providing the Z depth from the previously rendered image ,and let Maya do the compositing.
As you can see in the image below Maya don't seem to understand alpha or Zdepth from MentalRay and strokes are visible only outside the alpha.

If I render the geometry with Maya sw ( at step 1) everything works well.
Can anyeone help?Thanks

techmage
06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
I found the composite paint effects with z buffer function in maya software to be completely useless. Even if you do get it to interpret the zbuffer information correctly, it's not going to correctly anti alias the edges where paints effects goes behind a wall. The only way to do this is to put the useBackground shader on everything you rendered in mental ray and then composite it in something else.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2007, 09:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.