PDA

View Full Version : Digital Elevation Maps

normac
06-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm using Vue Espirit 6. I'm attempting to work with Digital Elevation Maps. I am aware of three way to work with this. 1) Import DEM 2) Picture option in Terrain Editor. The third is the method I'm trying to use. According to 3d World Magazine #91 it is the best...

I have only owned Vue for less than a week... That being said I'm using the function editor to load a tiff file of a DEM. I have created a textured projection map; however, simply clicking OK to accept he map does not confer the texture to the terrain object I created.

If someone could be so kind as to explain to me how to appropriately set a tif file to terrain object using the functional editor I would truly appreciate it.

The magazine calls out Infinite but I'm using Espirit. I'm guessing that it should work with my program as well.

Thanks in advance!

SovereignKnight
06-03-2007, 06:02 PM
I tried to use that technique with VUE and it doesn't work they way it's written in the magazine. Loading the .tiff into the function editor as a textured projection map just results in lots of spikey towers, and doesn't resemble the terrain at all. I tried lots of variations on the article too, but still nothing.

I thought if I got the file from the 3d World website and de-constructed it I could figure it out, but all it does is crash VUE every time. I gave up.

Sorry, I know that didn't answer your question. I hope someone can come up with something.

normac
06-03-2007, 08:23 PM
I tried to download and use the files as well, but they would eventually crash.

Thanks for the SovereignKnight.

BernieStafford
06-04-2007, 07:29 AM
As far as I recall, the DEM image they used wasn't included in the download files, which was why it didn't work.

Download your own DEM files (the method used in the mag works as well as any) and then follow the procedure as described. It works just fine, and is definitely the best way of getting DEM data into the programme.

Just noticed that you are using Vue Esprit. Does that have the Function Editor that Infinite has? If not, then you won't be able to use this method.

normac
06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I did eventually get it to work. Actually my problem was not with having DEM file. I did follow those instructions to get one of my own. The problem was my understanding of the node based functional editor. I've never used a node based anything. By connecting various nodes together that eventually get to the altitude node I could see some results.

Again, thanks for all of the help.

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.