PDA

View Full Version : Animation Mentor Short - SHEEP

Dan_Segarra
06-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey! Thought I'd post a link to my short here for viewing.

SHEEP (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wmpQVzdHFBo)

Animation Mentor Interview (http://www.animationmentor.com/newsletter/0307/shorts_sheep.html)

It's such a struggle to finish something you've been spending so much time on. So I wanted to say congrats to all of the other animators who've posted there work in this forum... and other forums. It's an inspiration to me when someone takes something from beginning to end and I hope mine could be an inspiration to others. So keep animating! :)

bawhabmw
06-02-2007, 08:03 PM
very nice. loved it.

cgmadvin
06-02-2007, 08:15 PM
very nice animation, the characters are apealing and the animation is complete with a nice backing track.
nice to see excelent character animation, well done.

HEKTOR
06-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Hello!

It is great! I very like the characters they are very believable. And the story is beauty! Animation it's too very nice!

P.S
Sorry for my English!

mattmos
06-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Lovely short Dan. Can't fault the animation and character that you've given these guys.

Definitely an inspiration for those of us still struggling with the short film classes!

picolo
06-02-2007, 11:27 PM
great animation work a bit sad that the rendering has not the same level ;)

liquidik
06-03-2007, 12:31 AM
tadaaaaa, lovely touchin short film. Lot of sensibility.

Great work my friend!

Gian

GoldenCamel
06-03-2007, 12:52 AM
The good,
simple story with good story telling, continuity and direction. nice readable silhouette on the final shot, well done animation with the cane.

The bad,
animation on the guy lacked belivable weight, some arc issues on the lamb, like wise lack of weight on some hops. the take on the guy could be stronger, animation didnt have enough contrast, everything happened on the same note.

The ugly,
None.

Good job overall

MonteCristo
06-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey Dude!

Very well done! i like it!

Keep Up the Good Work!

-Monte

richardoud
06-03-2007, 10:02 AM
What a nice story.. I love the animtion on the sheep, it's perfect!

lord_yupa
06-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi Dan!
I love your short!!!
What I like best is staging, characters and color scheme.
Congrats!

-Emanuele

Dan_Segarra
06-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the comments and feedback guys! :)
All are MUCH appreciated.

ivanisavich
06-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Good stuff man!

AjaBogdanoff
06-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Nice Dan! Congrats again on finishing it! :)

Darknessseeker0
06-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Hey Dan,

It's great to see your film finished and rendered out. Everything looks really beautiful! I hope you're very proud of what you've accomplished. :D

RobertoOrtiz
06-04-2007, 03:20 AM
Hey! Thought I'd post a link to my short here for viewing.

SHEEP (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wmpQVzdHFBo)

It's such a struggle to finish something you've been spending so much time on. So I wanted to say congrats to all of the other animators who've posted there work in this forum... and other forums. It's an inspiration to me when someone takes something from beginning to end and I hope mine could be an inspiration to others. So keep animating! :)

Great work!
plugged.
-R

GoldenCamel
06-04-2007, 04:20 AM
On the second thought, I think quoting scripture at the end of the film was not a good choice. Simply becasue in this case, the film is comunicating your message very well through moving pictures.

In effect you're telling your audience that "I dont think youre smart enough to get my message by watching the film so i have to make sure to drill it into your head with quoting scripture at the end"

lutonomy
06-04-2007, 04:29 AM
Well done Dan! I think your film is beautiful, as do my friends who I showed it to. Congrats on some awesome work!

WyattHarris
06-04-2007, 04:48 AM
In effect you're telling your audience that "I dont think youre smart enough to get my message by watching the film so i have to make sure to drill it into your head with quoting scripture at the end"

I think your overthinking that way too much.

Very well done and congratulations on finishing. Sometimes thats the hardest part of all.

Lamster
06-04-2007, 05:15 AM
Hey man,

I find that it is amazing that a simple story like this can evoke such emotion :). Thanks for your clip. It is very nice indeed.

I think that the render and animation quality all hold second fiddle to the message that this clip delivers.

At this age where amazing computer graphics and special effects have become mundane, what truly stands out from the dross of mediocrity are those works that have a strong story and perhaps a well delivered message.

You've got it right for this clip man :)

Terence

Gaudy
06-04-2007, 05:29 AM
At this age where amazing computer graphics and special effects have become mundane, what truly stands out from the dross of mediocrity are those works that have a strong story and perhaps a well delivered message.

^ What he said ... ^

Reallyt nice story telling simple emotive , the music makes u feel good , and quoting at the end is pretty ok in my opinion .

Cheers.

Vexona
06-04-2007, 05:50 AM
That was so awsome man.
Not just the craftsmenship, but I find the best
thing is the fact that you are using the skill
God gave you for his glory. Praise God for that.

XTitan
06-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Top notch, great work. I loved every part of it, great characters and great timing. Very well animated.

amannin
06-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Really nicely done! I saw this at the end of the Winter '07 demo reel for AM and always wanted to see it -- glad i finally got the chance. I love the idea of him chasing after this little energetic sheep, looks good all around.

just a thought:

when he first goes after the sheep, it might have been better to show him run into the frame just before he climbs up, rather than already walking up to it -- would help communicate how tired he already is before he starts to climb. (he's a shepard, so i imagine he would be fairly use to walking long distances, but not running, which is why i think you should have shown just a little bit), otherwise, i'm not entirely convinced that he is worn-out, or should be, to say the least.

aesir
06-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Only real crit is that I wish you'd rendered some shadows underneath the characters. It would have placed them on the scene a lot more strongly.

ninjadodo
06-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey Dan, this is still one of my favourite AM shorts. Nicely told compact story and great animation. The only thing is I have to agree with GoldenCamel that you should have let the story explain itself. The short works on many levels, including a non-religious one, and the line at the end was a turn-off for me...

Blusoul
06-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Great work Dan, congrats on your shortfilm:)

BUK
06-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Fantastic.

I think the scripture at the end was more credits than message.

Well done bro.

exigolight
06-04-2007, 10:11 AM
i just saw ur movie and it's so cool.. simple and nice!. wel done.

djlane
06-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Really liked the short, quoting scripture left me feeling cold though.

Dan

CarlRiver
06-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Wow. Nice touching story and really good animation. I really liked the end.

GoSsS
06-04-2007, 10:52 AM
All is really cool ! Animation, music, idea ...
The end is both funny and touching !

benytone
06-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Congratulations, very nice. 5* :thumbsup:

Nice Dan! Congrats again on finishing it! :)

hey Aja Bogdanoff
you've got a awesome portfolio :thumbsup:

Dan_Segarra
06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Ha!!! Crazy! Thanks for the plug Roberto, pretty sweet! :)

So many differing opinions... wow! Thanks for your comments.
I'll try to respond to you guys after work.

RobertoOrtiz
06-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Ha!!! Crazy! Thanks for the plug Roberto, pretty sweet! :)

So many differing opinions... wow! Thanks for your comments.
I'll try to respond to you guys after work.

Do you have production images online?
Or better yet, could you talk a bit about your workflow?

Anyway I think it is a great short.
Great work
:)
-R

sculpter21
06-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Congrats to you , bruno and the others for making front cover. Good luck in NY!

Alex

KP
06-04-2007, 03:22 PM
I thought it was great overall, I remember seing this on the best of video that came out a while back. I was itching to see it then, so I am glad I get to see it now. Awesome animation work :D

ThomasMahler
06-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Very nice job! Of all the Animation Mentor films that are flurrying around right now, I think this one was the best. Short, to the point and a story well told!

At what Res did you guys render this out? I'd love to see a higher Res version, even though it's not about visual quality here, but I'd put it into my lib.

achavero
06-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Dan, I loved this short since i saw it in the preproduction.

Congratulations all your hard work really paid off and I just wanted to add that the movie really make me sigh of emotion. =D

Awesome work overall.

sanjoant
06-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Great work .Very good layouts and story telling great but simple cuts.great job.
:eek:

Drake83
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Great, I loved it :)
This sheep is so cute! Just seems like he's bounding a little bit too much, but the overall animation is perfectly done. Great job hey!

Slythis
06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
awesome man, loved it. Nice use of just music, no dialouge :)
great emotion as well

sternio
06-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Dan, you know this rocks :)

visionmaster2
06-04-2007, 04:28 PM
:love: superb !!!

Djampa
06-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Excellent ! :scream:

Story telling is just great!
Animation is very well done, cuts are nice, colors are great, camera, everything looks so good!
Actually I would love to better express my feelings and more comments about your short, but my time here is too short, telling this just let you know how much I liked it. :)

Congratulations!

And please... provide a link with a higher res of this short, it deserves to be seen on a bigger screen. :)

Best wishes,

hinoon
06-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Superb. Very heart opening. Keep the flame burning.

japetus
06-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Beautifully simple piece! It made me feel real good. Interesting reactions to the scripture, I think it was a nice coda. Well done!

theflash
06-04-2007, 06:32 PM
That was really touching story man. I loved everything about it. Especially animation of that ship was fantastic, all subtle details in motion made it beautiful. And ofcouse color and staging works great too.

This is how a simple but sensitive story can be successful in animation. Congrats! Best wishes.

Piddu
06-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Very nice. The little sheep is lovely! :)
I like very very very much the story too.

Good job!!!

JackZhang
06-04-2007, 07:10 PM
what a lovely short! it made me watched again and again and goes "oh~" when the end the sheep cutely moves into the man's arm.

Thank you so much for sharing. 5* from me.

Markanday
06-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Its a good short. Very nice.

Winner
06-04-2007, 07:31 PM
brilliant.

as far as crits go.. there arent really many i can think of. I guess subjectivley I thought there may have been a *little* overanimation on the bits where he goes to read the letter... ( eg - how he anticipates as he brings the letter up to his eye level - felt a bit forced ) but we're splitting hairs here.

I loved the story - no gags or surprises, just a nice little moment. The camera work and editing was great. You did a good job with the AM character too - sometimes I've seen him looking very odd in a few animations, but in yours he has a nice feel, and his shapes and poses work very well... good work!

clockwerkz
06-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Gorgeous.

Dan, I loved watching the progression of your short, dude. Beautiful, beautiful work!!

-Carlos

AJ
06-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Lovely!

I really like the sheep, he's beyond adorable.

powerdan
06-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Excelent work :applause: , congratulations, I love the animation. Hope to see more of your work soon.

--<Daniel>--

AkinYaman
06-04-2007, 09:52 PM
thats realy fine work and animation skill too

StephanRiederer
06-04-2007, 10:31 PM
REALLY GOOD JOB! I really loved it! The animation arcs, the feelings, all of it! just perfect! Congratulations!

Borogove
06-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Well done! As you say, it is inspiring to see someone finish a project and have it work so well. Your animation is very subtle and elegant. Congrats!

OZAKI00
06-04-2007, 11:04 PM
I really love yr sotry and composition of the end...lovely!! :applause:

Dan_Segarra
06-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks so much everyone. :)

ROBERTO ORTIZ: I'll try to talk about my workflow soon. Here's a link to the interview from Animation Mentor. I'll post it in the first post too.

Animation Mentor Interview (http://www.animationmentor.com/newsletter/0307/shorts_sheep.html)

MATTMOS: Thanks man. I was so tired of this short MANY times throughout the process. Mainly because I wanted to change so much even when the layout stage was finished. It was tough to animate boldy and to stop second-guessing my story/acting choices.

You've finished a film before though, so you've got experience. :) You'll pull through man. Good luck with it!

LIQUIDIK: :)

GOLDENCAMEL: Thanks for the crit man. I feel the same way about the weight and contrast of timing. It's definitely something I've been consciously trying to strengthen in my work.

About the psalm at the end, it wasn't intended to smack anyone over the head. I think words can be just as powerful as visual images as long as they're not used as a crutch.

EMANUELE: Your short ROCKS!!! Everyone should watch it at LEAST twice: EMANUELE'S SHORT (http://www.emanuelepavarotti.com/marco.html)

LAMSTER: Thanks man, that's really nice to say.

VEXONA: Thanks, man. :) Before I started Animation Mentor I had this quote taped up to my desk: "Commit your works to the LORD and your plans will be established." It's something that gave me a little inspiration to push through the course and the short film.

AMANNIN: Yeah, the tired aspect of the film could have been pushed as a whole from beginning to end. Having the shepherd run in certain parts would have also added some contrast in the beats throughout the short. Since the short is done as is I'll be more aware of your thought in future work. Thanks Alvin!

NINJA DODO: Thanks Christiaan. My buddy told me the same thing. But although he didn't agree with it, he didn't think I should remove the line at the end because of his opinion about it. It is only my interpretation of it. Like you said, if it works on many levels then take it for what it is.

SCULPTER21: Thanks Alex. It's pretty funny that the talented artist that created the concept art, textures, and pretty much art direction for my film (BRUNO WERNECK!!!) is part of the Stranglehold team that was plugged in the same banner. :)

STRANGLEHOLD TEAM (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4094)

He's the artist on the 2nd photo to the right of the arcade console. You're awesome Bruno!

THOMAS MAHLER: Not so high res. 720x480 I don't have a site to host the film though... maybe when I have a little more time available I'll put one up.

STERNIO: Dude! Get your film up here, Mike! It's a 5 star in my book man. Good luck with it!

CLOCKWERKZ: You, my friend, are too kind. :)

Thanks again for the comments and feedback everyone.

cheeto_47
06-05-2007, 01:33 AM
Dan "the CG Talk featured film" Man!

Nice work dude, the only question remaining is can you win the coveted 4-square championship? ;)

But seriously, great job, I really like your film!
--Kyle

Funxer
06-05-2007, 01:36 AM
I enjoyed the story, and reading the scripture left me feeling warm.

thanx
Robert

ENL
06-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Great Story. Simple but with a great impact at the end. 5 Stars.

Anywhere to download a hi-res version for my collection?

jab
06-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Great job Dan, congrats! See you at 4-square :thumbsup:

DigitalToon2
06-05-2007, 03:34 AM
Hey Dan,

Awesome work! Congrats.

enjoyu2
06-05-2007, 04:35 AM
Good work!
just the character weights not enough,can done it better.
Hope you keep on!

Conkrys
06-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Simply splendid! Awesome mood and animation. The sheep is a scream! Are the 99 safe all alone? ;-) as for the scripture... it is in complete harmony with the story and left that nice warm feeling. 5*

shahabp
06-05-2007, 04:44 PM
simple and cool.
I enjoyed the story.

taeyoungchoi
06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi, Dan
Great Animation! I can see your passion on the film. Lovely piece.
Keep it up! I can't hardly wait for the next one... penguin?
Tae.

Dennik
06-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Wonderful story and high quality animation. Well done Dan. :thumbsup:

CarlCampbell
06-05-2007, 06:00 PM
The scipture at the end DID throw me off a bit, I guess I just don't like religion being 'thrown in my face' (sorry, couldn't think of a better expression). But as I mentioned on YouTube, it shouldn't detract from the animation and both zealots and flaming atheists should keep quiet about the religion part. Having said that, I'm not sure if removing the scripture might've made the short more 'accessible' in a way.
Somehow what GoldenCamel says makes sense to me. Religious people can reach the conclusion on their own, without the scripture, and the rest of us can just get a kick out of the lovely view (admiring mother nature, nature itself or whatever you'd like to call it). So the scripture was a bit of a put-down to me.

I'm discussing filmmaking here and audience experience, not trying to start a senseless debate.

Blabla, all in all, it's just talk, and SHEEP was a great short :)

Cheers!

enesb
06-05-2007, 06:14 PM
good scenario good animations...

mistasam02
06-05-2007, 07:27 PM
VERY well done sir! Animation style is great! Good luck with your future prospects :thumbsup:

Dan_Segarra
06-06-2007, 03:08 AM
So I was asked to give a description of my workflow. First off it can change depending on what I'm working on. Sometimes I have to skip parts of my process in order to finish something by a deadline... which jokingly was enforced on me at work yesterday. :) My Director threw a couple of us on a scene with 20 or so BG characters. He knows that I like to spend a lot of time planning and sketching out my shot. So he said, "So Dan, that means less drawings from you." Heh heh. :) So in this case, I figure out what the focus of the shot needs to be, how the characters relate to each other, and why they're on screen in the first place. I'll place all of the characters where they need to be, then after that I'll roughly sketch out 1 main pose the character will hit and animate within' that pose.

If I'm animating a main character, I'll spend some time thumbnailing, shooting reference, analyzing reference, all of the stuff necessary in getting a clear idea of your action, emotion, and personality of your character until I'm confident in my choices or until my supervisor/director is happy with my choices, then I'll start translating the sketches I've drawn out into the computer in stepped mode. (Which is the way I like to work) Since I came from a 2D background I also have a habit of making timing charts next to my thumbnails to get a rough idea of where to place the keys when in stepped mode. Don't forget your breakdowns in this step or when you switch from stepped to spline, your curves will take your animation into a CG looking realm where you don't want to get to deep into.

After getting tons of feedback from other animators, my supervisor, my director, the secretary, and the company dog, I make the changes that most if not all of them suggested as long as it doesn't conflict with the director's idea. Usually if someone sees something awkward about your animation, someone else down the road will too. So it's better to catch it ahead of time instead of waiting until your director brings it up... plus he's a busy guy and there are other eyes around that can get if something isn't quite right or believeable.

So then after I get the director's okay, I get into spline mode. I LOVE the curve editor... I was intimidated by it at first but get in there and totally figure out what your splines do. That's the way to really learn it. I could go more into it but I'd just be repeating what I've learned about it from Victor Navone's lecture at Animation Mentor. It would be better to just let him explain it. :) VICTOR NAVONE on SPLINES (http://www.navone.org/HTML/Tutorial_Splines1.htm)

So when I spline I pretty much keep going until the polish gets to the point that the director is cool with and approves. If it's my own personal work, I keep splining until my wife tells me it's time to get some sleep. At one point you just need to let it go.

So this is just the way I go about animating. It might not be for you though... and I'm still learning how to improve my process as well. I think what's most important is the feedback part of the process. It's important, as Mark Behm stressed IMMENSELY while I was in his class, to drop your ego when animating. Anyone can give you feedback on your work. Take it and learn from it.

Hope that helped some. Thanks so much guys!

CHEETO_47: I'm tellin' you Kyle, it's your height advantage that gives you that extra reach in 4-square... not fair man. ;)

ENL: Sorry man, I don't have a higher version of the file online for downloading. One day when I get to makin' a site I'll put it up. :)

TAE: Hey man! Thanks. Yeah, Bruno, Javi, and a few others with myself are trying to dish out another quick short together. We'll see how that goes since it's still in a super early stage right now. Thanks for the post man.

CARL CAMPBELL: Thanks man! I'm glad you enjoyed the short. :) And thanks for the comment on YouTube about respecting the author. Very much appreciated man.

andy_maxman
06-06-2007, 04:34 AM
Congrats Dan! and thanks for sharing your workflow..

:)

evilwabbit
06-06-2007, 04:52 AM
Very nice i think alot of people read to much into short films and animation with character weights, shadows, detail etc etc nothing is 100% perfect you need to take it for how it is and let the short tell the story and emotion.

5 stars from me was interesting reading ur pipeline.. btw sounds like your wife helped alot 5 stars goes out to her to :)

TomBurns
06-06-2007, 07:34 AM
evilwabbit said it best, Dan.

While it's nice to aim for perfection in all facets, the story is king over all and buddy, you scored bigtime with this completely charming, touching piece of work.

While I'm a pretty cynical guy, every now and then someone like you comes along and produces something so happy and beautiful that it just catches me off-guard and leaves me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Good job, Dan. There may be a huge amount of technically stunning, mind-blowing-zillion-poly films out there, but you are one of the few that made a story that left me feeling uplifted.

AWESOME, Dan!

AcmeImages
06-06-2007, 04:21 PM
excellent work Dan! The best part of making your own film is you say what goes into it. I am not a fan of the religious quotes myself, but it in no way detracted from a beautiful story, that is well told, and really well executed! Be proud of yourself!

Chris

Inchiology
06-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Love it man. The heavens do declare the glory of God.

ziomalbanan
06-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Very nice animation! You have great acting skill and timing in character animation.
God job!!

Dan_Segarra
06-07-2007, 06:53 AM
EVIL WABBIT: My wife is the most supportive and understanding woman of all time. She definitely deserves 5 stars. :) I don't know how a dork like me got so lucky.

TOM BURNS: Those are some super nice words Tom. That means a lot to me, thanks. :)

ACME IMAGES: CHRIS!!! Thanks buddy!

INCHIOLOGY: Yesiree, they certainly do. :)

Tilko
06-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Simple and beautiful ! :bounce:

paultheplumber
06-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Nice job! God Bless.

chindian
06-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Hey man... Awesome job!!! Very inspiring! Excellent animation and message! Keep it up!

God Bless,
-Thad

Voigtlander
06-13-2007, 02:49 AM
Excellent work Dan_Segarra! Beautiful lighting, texturing, characters and story.

-Rob

Ferranster
06-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Hey Dan!

It came out awesome! :) I was a fan of it while you were doing it and I love it more seeing it finished.

Outstanding work, congrats man! :)

- Ferran

cg219
06-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Nothing but the best from Animation Mentor, I love the colors and the music. Only thing that bugged me is when the Sheep was on the BIG arc shaped rock, and tyhe herder was looking up at it, The sheep looked like it was upside down.

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2007, 01:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.