PDA

View Full Version : a good file synch utility?

gustojunk
03-17-2003, 03:32 PM
Hi All,

Iím looking for a good file sync utility. I have a few files/folders in my C drive (OS and Appz. Drive) that Iíd like to sync up with a backup of them on my D drive (data drive).

I really want a simple utility that can do the sync operation at shutdown and not being operational in the background in any way. I use Norton Ghost to back up an image of the C drive and since C contents donít really change much I rather keep up to date just the files in C and do change (things like photoshop actions and palettes, Palm desktop entries, IE bookmarks, Rhino3D workspace and some material libraries) that making new ghost images just for those simple things.

I looked for shareware but itís just hard to know whatís good and whatís hype from those downloads websites. If anybody can recommend something they use I would really appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Gustavo

LeeTN
03-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Actually I use the Windows backup utility to keep my files sync'ed and safe.

It can be scheduled, it works, and it's already on your hard drive.

gustojunk
03-18-2003, 12:37 AM
Hi Lee,

I tried that but I could not figure out how to make backups of a few files located in different places. I only managed to do only one file folder or a whole drive. Did I miss something? You don't have to explain how to do it, I just want to double check that backing up multiple files can be done and then I'll give a closer look to it.

Thanks,

Gustavo

LeeTN
03-18-2003, 12:43 AM
Yep, it can be done...just spend a little time on it and you'll find it. Also the help is not much use for this, but can provide some info.

If you have problems, let me know and I'll see if I can't help you out.

Regards.

gustojunk
03-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Thanks Lee, I'll try again when I get some time.

BTW, I love the Formac display, you were right when you say I would not be dissapointed. I'm still triyng to get a a better match with my epson photo printer, colorwise the match is right on, but the brightess and costrast is a bit off. Have you experience something similar?

Take Care,

Gustavo

LeeTN
03-18-2003, 04:46 PM
It's expensive, but the color matching system available through Formac is (I have read) superb. I believe it's $250 USD.

I decided against it for now (my software RIP emulates Pantone and offset presses pretty well so I didn't see the need because the Formac's come color calibrated to Pantone specs).

Anyway, good luck with MS backup, it's not the most robust solution out there, but it's free and it will do what you need it to.

Regards.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.