PDA

View Full Version : Changing the paint layer attributes!

wartorn
06-02-2007, 10:38 AM
I painted over a certain piece of footage, and now that footage has been altered in telecine. Meaning color corrected. So now i have the same paint layer over a much darker scene. How can i affect the brightness and contrast of just the paint layer? i'm sure theres a simple way that im just not seeing. I tried everything, but nothing would affect the paint layer alone. It would affect the whole composite. Help!!

hemmerli
06-02-2007, 02:35 PM
if your paint op is on a seperate layer, change the opacity of that layer or use a cc-op.
unfortunately, it doesn't sound like that...
so, go into the paint op, select the paint objects and change, opacity, colour, whatever to make it fit again.
...maybe c/p on a seperate new layer gives you the flexibility to add a cc-op and change the whole paint-objects on the whole...

best,
rayk

wartorn
06-02-2007, 11:40 PM
hey hemmerli,

well if i want to copy paste on a new layer, what layer would that be? i need some kind of transparent layer that would only have the paint on it and nothing else. Any other kind of layer just wont help. otherwise id be color correcting the entire layer, not just the paint layer. And yes as u said, the paint layer is within the footage layer itself. If theres anything u can think of concerning how to only alter the paint layer, then we've solved it. But i really cant think of anything. Stupid combustion.... And it's about time they made a shortcut for the COLOR PICKER! (eyedropper) lots of simple little things that would just make life a whole lot easier. anyway thanks for the help hemmerli, and i hope u got some idea of how to solve this. i dont want to redo 2 whole scenes of frame by frame painting!

hemmerli
06-03-2007, 08:33 AM
a)
if you need a transparent layer, create one. for instance by right-clicking on the composite, select "new layer", select "solid", check the "transparent" checkbox (big fat button right to the "transparent" slider box). c/p the paint op on the new layer. oh, don't forget to set the length of your new layer to the length of your composite.
b)
eyedropper shortcut in paint-op is "y"

hope this helps :D

rayk

wartorn
06-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Well i tried that already copy paste. The paint layer doesnt show when i paste it on the solid. A couple of brush strokes show but not all... dont know why that is. Its as if theyre behind the footage or covered by something... but paint doesnt have z-depth so... Anyway this isnt working... HELP! Thanks for the tip on the color picker, just noticed it in the hot keys section of the combustion help files.

dg
06-03-2007, 05:51 PM
You can group your strokes and then apply a CC op's to them inside the very same Paint op.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

wartorn
06-05-2007, 01:04 PM
ok i grouped the brush strokes, but when i apply a brightness contrast operator, it doesnt always appear in the effects panel of the group. How can i guarantee that each time i want to do this, i wil get the operator to appear as an effect within the group? I sometimes manage to get it there, while other times i find it on top of my paint op, or even on top of the entire composite as a branch. any ideas on what should be done? do i double click on paint, or group or select all the brush strokes? etc..? thanks for any help.

thatoneguy
06-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Click the operator you want the cc operator to apply to. If you have the composite operator selected it'll go above that. If you have the paint operator selected it'll go above that. In the case of strokes, I think you have to right click on the group and apply it there since it's not technically an operator.

wartorn
06-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Yup that worked. Right click on the group. Sheesh.. was that tough to figure out.... Thanks thatoneguy! All the time ive been trying to click here and there and slap the operator on, and pray that it ends up within the group. The guys at combustion really should get things like that sorted out. Couldnt find anything on it anywhere. But i did here! Thanks again thatoneguy!

thatoneguy
06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Yeah combustion isn't always intuitive and involves a lot of head beating until you figure out how you're supposed to operate. The result however is that it's crazy efficient once you are working the way you're supposed to.

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.