PDA

View Full Version : 'Stranglehold' :: Production Focus

PaulHellard
06-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi there,

I had a chat to Stephan Martiniere about the work he and the Midway Games people were doing on the 'Stranglehold ' game.

Click the image to go to the story.

http://features.cgsociety.org/stories/2007_06/stranglehold/stranglehold_04.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4094)

hueyyeng
06-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Nice article! ;)

Looking forward to the release of the game when I read about it in PSM.

gaggle
06-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey great article! Looks to be a cool-looking game, they definitely seem to have their visuals covered.

But man that last sentence gets my blood boiling. Stephan Martiniere gives out advice on how to break into the game-industry, and amongst all the usual vague "work hard, stay in school!" tips he ends off with this:

"Last but not least, be prepared to bring a cot to the office once you’re in."

:O
Jesus. C'mon. Don't go telling me we have to expect to be overworked (and uncompensated at that) just to make games. We're a legitimate business model, earning more money than Hollywood last I checked, and it burns my soul when I hear how some people consider crunch periods a natural part of the play. It's not anymore. If you have to use a cot at the office you're suffering from poor management. And it's not helping anyone to perpetuate that vicious cycle in the media.

Imo.

PhuongDPh
06-02-2007, 11:56 AM
amazing concept !:eek:

DDS
06-02-2007, 12:10 PM
really loved the mood of the game, wish they posted shots with those environments in real time.

P_T
06-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Very nice article as usual. :thumbsup:

Got one request though, is it possible for CGS to provide bigger resolution pictures for some of the pictures? Like maybe a link from the smaller resolution picture or something.

VonMarsch
06-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the article. I'm really waiting this game! Those Concept images look amazing.

it burns my soul when I hear how some people consider crunch periods a natural part of the play. It's not anymore. If you have to use a cot at the office you're suffering from poor management.

So true.

Dan_Segarra
06-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Beautiful concept work! Lookin' forward to checkin' this game out when released.

snowkiwi
06-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Incredible Renderings.

Thonz
06-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Is it me, or is the "article" just a picure?
I get a link, and it leads to a picture nothing more.....
nice picture though :)

Cyborgguineapig
06-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Cool Article.

But man that last sentence gets my blood boiling. Stephan Martiniere gives out advice on how to break into the game-industry, and amongst all the usual vague "work hard, stay in school!" tips he ends off with this:

"Last but not least, be prepared to bring a cot to the office once you’re in."

:O
Jesus. C'mon. Don't go telling me we have to expect to be overworked (and uncompensated at that) just to make games. We're a legitimate business model, earning more money than Hollywood last I checked, and it burns my soul when I hear how some people consider crunch periods a natural part of the play. It's not anymore. If you have to use a cot at the office you're suffering from poor management. And it's not helping anyone to perpetuate that vicious cycle in the media.

Imo.

Thankyou! Your not alone in your thought.

wowbaggin
06-04-2007, 06:39 AM
great article. those environments are gorgeous.

Pyke
06-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Ive got a pull out bed in my office... *shrug*

Amazing imagery. Very nice article!

leishman
06-05-2007, 12:16 AM
wow.....that's about HongKong,China.........good Job...

Harryling
06-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Wow, it is so Hong Kong, love it

tororiental
06-05-2007, 12:24 PM
hello.all
very cool.project i love it .....wow wow wow
clear...

HWX
06-05-2007, 01:42 PM
wow cool like it http://www.owolove.com/bbs/UploadFile/2007-4/2007419162512187.gif

http://www.owolove.com/bbs/UploadFile/2007-5/200752712203661.gif

Qslugs
06-06-2007, 03:08 AM
Cool Article.

Thankyou! Your not alone in your thought.

Exactly. Bad Management, or companies taking advantage of the drive of the artist.

dhi
06-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Sigh - yes beautiful images... shame it is not a patch on what Hong Kong is really like.

These images are as much Hong Kong as 'Hong Kong Phooey' was.

http://www.youtube.com/v/vfeAqlYv2wQ&

The Tai O reference made me laugh - it's like calling Staten Island downtown New York... truly laughable... Or worse as it is a little little village in the middle of nowhere...

And given the number of excellent Asian artists that could have set the team right it really is a shame that none were included in the development team (at least as the photos show)

Ah well - too much to expect really.

Still it gives me hope that a real Hong Kong game really would have traction... bring on the real deal I say.

Kudos for doing something different and trying to do Hong Kong in style - brickbats for not doing research more than a millimetre deep.

David - an artist from Hong Kong

Edit: An Example required I think: -

1. We drive on the left of the road, and like New York's yellow cabs we have iconic taxis that are red - the image of the street at the top of the thread is not Hong Kong.
2. Roads are very narrow, footpaths are always crowded with people and roads with buses, taxis and minibuses no matter the time of day, and to prevent accidents all footpaths(sidewalks) have handrails. The featured image is a ghost town!
3. Tai O is a joke as Kwai Chung has the largest container terminal on the planet. The loading and unloading of barges of containers is more iconic and representative of HK than red sailed junks... the only such junk is operated for tourists to take photos of.
4. Mountains - huge mountains with people living along the edge of the sea in towers. The densest city on the planet and no images of the towers we all live in, work in and eat in?

Hong Kong? Phooey!

dhi
06-11-2007, 05:50 AM
Okay - so I'm still really intrigued at this game and been trying to find more info - and so would like to eat some humble pie.

The left side of the road thing? Well it looks like that's a one way street... spot the arrows and on my Mac the taxi perhaps looks a little red.

And John Woo is involved - and he is awesome. Totally awesome. And the chinese guy that looks vaguely like Chow Yun Fat ... he IS Chow Yun Fat.

But it still does not look enough like Hong Kong to me... but I'll admit to being impressed with the style... just don't think the real Hong Kong looks like this with red sailed junks Okay?

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=john+woo+stranglehold&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Phooey on me.

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2007, 05:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.