PDA

View Full Version : Can you make particles static ??

Kabab
03-17-2003, 11:49 AM
I am trying to use some blobby particles to make cartoon type looking clouds they look pretty funky but i want to make them static at the moment they keep moving.

Is there anyway i can convert them into some sorted dumb geometry or make them static ?

Thanks..

Norb
03-17-2003, 03:17 PM
you could either paint in the particles, or save the initial state at a point where you like them and then key the velocity and speed and stuff at 0..

mark_wilkins
03-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Yeah. The thing to do is get them where you want them, save the initial state (on the Solvers menu, I think) and then delete all the fields and goals.

-- Mark

alexx
03-17-2003, 09:35 PM
just deleting all the fields and goals wont help. the particles will store their last position, acceleration and velocity values and still be moving..

"keying veolcity and stuff" does not really do the job as well..

emit your particles, move them with fields and others wherever you want.
then select them all in component mode (f8) and go to the component editor.
there you can see the velocity and acceleration tabs.. select them on top and enter a zero vor the values.
now save the initial state.
now they are static.

before you save the initial state be sure you are at frame 0 (!) if yu are not, middle mouse scrub to frame zero in the timeline.
if you dont, your particle system wont react to creation expressions anymore..

cheers

alexx

mark_wilkins
03-17-2003, 10:07 PM
alexx: really? I swear I did just this recently and did not need to manually set all those attributes to 0.

Maybe I manually zeroed out the initial velocity setting and forgot?

-- Mark

alexx
03-17-2003, 10:10 PM
mark: havent checked in 4.5 but i think it is still the same, since otherwise initial state would not be what i would expect.

cheers

alexx

Jozvex
03-17-2003, 11:00 PM
I think it depends on how the particles were created?

If they were emitted with some amount of speed, then yes you do need to set all the velocity values to 0 in the component editor, but if they were created with the 'particle tool' and only get their speed from fields etc then you don't need to.

I think it's something like that anyway, because I'm using 4.5 and I know that sometimes I do, then sometimes I don't.

Kabab
03-18-2003, 01:22 AM
Great ! thanks for your help i will give it a shot tonight :applause:

kag122
03-19-2003, 02:06 AM
you could also just set the conserve to 0

:)

Jozvex
03-19-2003, 06:41 AM
If you just set the conserve to 0, the particles will still vanish when you go back to 0 on the timeline, and then they won't emit again.

wrend
03-19-2003, 04:19 PM
.. unless you've set their initial state.

alexx
03-19-2003, 04:41 PM
if you set conserve to 0 you will never be able to move them again by fields..

alexx

wrend
03-20-2003, 07:28 AM
you can move them w conserve 0, just that each frame doesnt care about what happened on the last?

what i do, and probably same reason why kag suggested, is emit the particles, they got some velocity, so set conserve to zero, advance the frame, set initial state, kill emitter. now they are frozen, not having velocity they got from emitter. if you got other forces acting on them, then this wont work. for simple population of space w particles, volume emitters w/o speed will do same thing.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.