PDA

View Full Version : Porcillain can look funny.

John Keates
03-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Here is a render of a floating cat that I have made (yes, he is supposed to be ugly). I made him with biased normals on and porcilain set at 0% (my vaverite setting).

Has anyone else noticed the defects allong the side? They are quite marked and unacceptable. They happen where you use thin patches.

Biased normals was good for making a low patch model as I idn't have to tweek any bias handles to see what he looked like.

pequod
03-18-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi John,:wavey:

What do you mean by thin patches? Small and narrow maybe. Perhaps we need to see a shaded wireframe example.
10.5 doesn't like my 5pt patches with porcelain on full whack, they render almost totally black. But it's still only an alpha afterall.
(Have you sold anymore paintings at your exhibition?)

-Stephen.

Kalimol
03-19-2003, 01:25 AM
Porcelain caused odd shading in 9.5 and total blackness in 10 on 5-pt patches in "Shift + Q" render, but final render caused no problems. Normal patches at edges or on the verge of creasing will sometimes cause black edges in any render mode on any patches. They're two unrelated issues.

pequod
03-19-2003, 10:00 AM
No, actually I get the black 5-pt patches in 10.5 alpha with the final render, but not all 5-pt patches:shrug: Yes, you can get odd shading on the edges of hooks and 5-pointers and this is what I was wondering whether John's cat had.

Dearmad
03-19-2003, 09:23 PM
It goes without saying your normals are all facing out, right?

Or should that have gone without saying...:shrug:

John Keates
03-21-2003, 01:36 AM
Here is the shade/wire. Sorry it is late but theres a lot on my plate. I havn't sold any more paintings :thumbsdow and I quit my job because I hate it :annoyed: . all in all a bit of a bad week.

no0ne
03-21-2003, 08:45 AM
jobs suck anyway :buttrock: :beer:

could the problem be those bias-handles?

when a spline is stichted onto a surface
me sometimes gets some unwanted bias-freakin
selecting the cp(s) in question one after the other
gets rid of this problem,
from time to time them bias-handles won't show up
even though the cp is selected
mostly deselectin & reselectin solves that one as well

when bias-handles show up finally,
the surface should be smooth again

hope that helps

btw freaky cat :thumbsup:

John Keates
03-21-2003, 10:41 AM
I am aware of the bias handle quirkyness. It is one of those bugs that gets put on a back burner because it isn't fatal, but it is v. annoying. Closing the modelling window then opening it again also solves the poblem (as well as de selection - re selection). I have played with the model on several ocasions and the problem stays. I have noticed it also on a face model with thin patches where the smile lines are and I can make it happen at will. I have tried copy/pasting the geometry into a new modelling space which usually solves issues related to CP curroption (at the expence of loosing bone information), but it remains the same.

I have sent this in to hash so hopefully they will fix it.

KenH
03-22-2003, 12:51 AM
I have also found that the thin patches look funny. However, it seems to be just in Opengl and looks ok when rendered.

HellBorn
03-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Hey!
There is nothing funny about porcelain.
It's Hash solution to the creasing problem and it works like crap!

zandoria
03-23-2003, 02:13 AM
It doesn't look like crap anymore--at least not in the alpha version of 10.5...

My Fault
03-23-2003, 02:42 AM
Yeah, the latest incarnation of porcelain is far superior to the old pre-10.5 alpha version. Plus a little birdie, we'll call him "Joe" :p , said that some of the stuff being worked on behind the scenes is looking very promising.

HellBorn
03-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Yee..found that one out yesterday. And one can also set the amount. I works a lot better than before.

KenH
03-23-2003, 10:27 PM
How do you implement porceline? It just says it's not on in the manual, but it doesn't tell you how to turn it on.

My Fault
03-23-2003, 10:55 PM
Porcelain is a material. Just do a search on your Hash CD. In 10.5 once you put the porcelain.mat on your object or object group you can then adjust the weighting.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.