PDA

View Full Version : Vue 6 and C4D

Oli4D
05-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Hi everybody!
Does anyone know if Vue 6 has a PlugIn to Export Scenes out of Cinema4D and load them into Vue?
For example: I have a Scene (Landscape) with a mapped photograph on it.
Is there (and where ;-)) a PlugIn with which I can export this Cinema4D Scene and load it into Vue and the mapping of the texture is still there and visible?
It is quite important because that photograph is the reference for me where to 'plant' trees in Vue :-)
Thank you very much,
Oli4D

coldbrynx
05-31-2007, 11:56 PM
you can export objects to c4d but you can't import from. just export the scene in obj format. hope this helps.

cheers

kerbouci
06-01-2007, 08:17 AM
a far as I know, You can't do that..
you can just export objs to be imported and mapped within Vue .

AdamT
06-01-2007, 02:50 PM
It's a shame that Xtreme doesn't work both ways. As the OP points out, it's very handy to have the reference geometry in Vue for landscaping and especially for setting up building/road foundations.

govinda
06-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Anyone with a good recipe for bringing animated cameras into Vue via XStream along with C4D geometry via OBJ or 3DS, and having them line up, and having the cam's focal length be right, my blessing to you and your offspring, and please enlighten us. I'm not the Vue guy, so I can't vouch for how it's being done over at the PC ten feet away, but so far as I've been able to glean, it hasn't worked without resorting to eyeballing.

Jorge Arango
06-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Anyone with a good recipe for bringing animated cameras into Vue via XStream along with C4D geometry via OBJ or 3DS, and having them line up, and having the cam's focal length be right, my blessing to you and your offspring, and please enlighten us. I'm not the Vue guy, so I can't vouch for how it's being done over at the PC ten feet away, but so far as I've been able to glean, it hasn't worked without resorting to eyeballing.

I have imported still C4D scenes into Vue 5 with the export plugin. The camera's focal length was doubled or halfed in Vue (don't remember which). This focal length in Vue's camera was called Scale.

Hope this helps

Jorge Arango

govinda
06-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks Jorge, I'll look over our Vue guy's shoulder while he works and make some suggestions.

Your focal length works out completely different from mine however. My 39.998 focal camera needs to be changed to 2.2 focal lenth prior to VueSynching, if you can believe that.

The whole situation is a headache, and then there are the 2am calls from the render farm in France...'We've stopped your render because it's 4 hours per frame!'

Lovas
06-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi everybody!
Does anyone know if Vue 6 has a PlugIn to Export Scenes out of Cinema4D and load them into Vue?
For example: I have a Scene (Landscape) with a mapped photograph on it.
Is there (and where ;-)) a PlugIn with which I can export this Cinema4D Scene and load it into Vue and the mapping of the texture is still there and visible?
It is quite important because that photograph is the reference for me where to 'plant' trees in Vue :-)
Thank you very much,
Oli4D

Scenes: no, objects: yes. But scenes are maid mainly of objects ;), so...
when exporting a textured object to the OBJ format, the UV coordinates are retained. So the recreating the correct texturing in Vue, even though not automatic, shouldn't be such a problem. Just make sure that the object you want to export use UVW mapping (and not Spherical, Cylindrical, Flat etc.). Here's the procedure:

1. Check the objects texture tag. If the object uses a mapping projection other than UVW Mapping, select the texture tag and in the object manager select: Tags - Generate UVW Coordinates. That will generate UVW coordinates from the current projection type.

2. Export the object to OBJ format (I recommend using the Riptide plugin - but the default C4D exporter will do the job as well.

3. Import the object in Vue. The mat file is ignored and the object will have a default material, named "Vue_6_Xstream"

4. Switch to the Vue material tab, right-click the material and select Edit Material from the menu. The Material Editor window will open.

5. Click the Advanced Material button. In the Colour&Alpha tab check the Mapped Picture Option. Click on the small yellow arrow underneath the tex preview to load the texture. You can adjust the mixing of texture and a plain colour in order to match the Mix setting in the C4D material. Make sure the Automatic option is selected in the Mapping area of the same tab! Also set the tiling option to match the Tiles settings in the texture tag in C4D.

6. Repeat the procedure for other textures that the material uses (Bump, Transparency...) by editing appropriate tabs in the Vue material editor. Note, that you'll have to switch back to the Basic Editor in order to select eventual bump and alpha textures.

7. Click OK and you're done.

Perhaps sounds complicated, but it is really simple. Of course, this is a simple example - but the Vue material editor also lets you create mixed or layered materials etc. Cinema 4D procedural shaders (noise etc.) can not be recreated that way, of course - but you can try to match the Vue shaders to them. Important thing is, that by using the Automatic mapping option, the UVW Mapping from C4D is recreated in Vue, so correct re-texturing can be done in most of cases.

Hope you or someone else find(s) this useful...

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2007, 06:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.