PDA

View Full Version : Baking FG Calculations !!

Hasnz
05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
I need to render out a sequence for baking . Is there anyway i can save the FG without rendering image on every frame . There are about 500 frames

akewt
05-31-2007, 10:07 AM
hi there.

you can save out the FG map by rendering every 10th/20th frame. go to render globals common tab and enter 10 or 20 in the 'By Frame' box. doesnt matter how many frames really, whatever is best for your scene, fast motion = smaller nth frame.

techmage
05-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Be careful when doing this that you don't make the FG file to large, cause then mental ray won't be able to hold it in memory with everything else and it will fail the render unless you make some memory saving changes to your settings which can slow it down. If your scene is on the more intricate side, multiple detailed rooms or just a long travel distance through an area that will require new FG points for each step. Then it might not be a bad idea to cache the FG in 4 different chunks for the animation and set each chunk of frames to use there corresponding fg file. If you find they aren't too large to fit in memory, you can combine them with fgcopy afterwards. This can save you the time of having to re-render your FG pre-pass if it does turn out to produce an FG file larger than it can handle.

Hasnz
06-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I just wish it had an option like vray has not to render image , Even if i render every 10 th ( at some angles i need to render every 3rd frame ) frame , it takes 8 mins to calc FG and another 10 + mins on the frame with all the loaded glossy reflection .
*sigh* afraid that i will have to wait :(

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2007, 05:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.