PDA

View Full Version : New user looking for quick fix

DrAdamDinosaur
04-04-2002, 06:58 AM
Ok, i've worked through Max and Maya during study and am now a confident modeller in then but not i want to learn lightwave because of all the cool things i hear about it. I am having trouble getting my head around a few basic features that will help me understand. Can someone tell me how to switch between vertex/face and edge modes and good ways for cutting up polys, not really into splines for modelling.

Mike RB
04-04-2002, 07:03 AM
The manual is a good place to start. There is no edge manipulation in LW and I'm not sure about your 'cutting'.... what do you mean?

Mike

DrAdamDinosaur
04-04-2002, 07:23 AM
In max its "cut", in maya its "split poly". Dividing on edge into 2 across a face. I use the knife tool but i get edges going halfway through a face. Bandsaw sort of does the job but always cuts one face into four. I was trying to put off the manuals (i'm using at someone elses work), thats why this is called a quick fix.

CIM
04-04-2002, 09:21 AM
Do a search for "Edge Tool" at www.Flay.com. This plugin will do what you want, and is more powerful than LW's Split tool.

cerreto
04-04-2002, 11:10 AM
also u can use band saw to split only selected polys by hiting f to flip the polys us selected then use band saw to cut them this will only cut the slected flipped polys giving you more control

add edge is a great plug in also !

DrAdamDinosaur
04-04-2002, 05:36 PM
Ok guys, thanks a lot. I'll have a look at edge tools. The flipping idea sounds useful to.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.