PDA

View Full Version : simple not statement error.

godolinium
05-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Hi there, I hope someone can spare me the time of day for a rather noob question.

Ive been using mel since I started using Maya years ago but never more than to replicate functions I was seeing printed in the script editor window.

Im now trying to write a script to automate part of the animation process and keep finding holes in my mel vocab.

If I have a group in my scene called theGroupInMyScene (at the root level in my outliner)
and run the folowing script...

if( !`objExists ("theGroupInMyScene")` );

{
group -em;
rename"null1" "theGroupInMyScene";
};

rather than skiping the mel (like I would hope) it executes and creates a second group called theGroupInMyScene1.

If someone can shed some light on how to write an if else statement with a not opperator, inorder to test if a group exists I would really appreciate it

Ta

Robert Bateman
05-30-2007, 09:55 AM
if( !`objExists ("theGroupInMyScene")` )
{
group -em;
rename"null1" "theGroupInMyScene";
}

The ; after the if statement was the statement to be executed if the expression was true. The other code was therefore out of scope of the if statement and was always executing.

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2007, 09:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.