PDA

View Full Version : 1st lo-poly "Acura RSX"

KeroSan
03-17-2003, 01:35 AM
Hi. This is my first lo-poly (or considered as mid-poly) model.

http://www.dacube.com/post/post_01.jpg

http://www.dacube.com/post/post_02.jpg

http://www.dacube.com/post/post_03.jpg

C&C are welcome.:)

KeroSan
03-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi,

Does anybody know what's the polycount range for a car model in terms of racing games for PS2/Xbox?

Thanks.

Rivendale
03-17-2003, 05:15 PM
I think I read that Colin McRae Rally 3 uses about 40000 in all on their car. It's quite a lot, but they had to model the interiors too because parts of the car can be smashed off. Quite a difference to what they had in Colin McRae Rally 1, something like 400 I think.:)
The model looks great BTW! I think it would be better if you could get some smoothing on the sides of the wheels too.

CADster
03-17-2003, 10:15 PM
I would add the seams to the map for stuff like the doors, hood, etc.

Overall, it looks really good, i personally would also model the wheels. you have a nicely detailed car with cylinder wheels, and that just kills it IMO.

as far as poly counts go. you right where you need to be for several of todays games, but your poly count is not very optimized. most cars with 4K+ have underside detail and full interiors. you dont need for the mirror to have two or three sections for the mirror arm .. the same goes for the little curve in the front spoiler... you will never see it when racing. So these things can be removed and your poly counts will fall (maybe enough to add additional detail)

KeroSan
03-18-2003, 05:00 AM
Rivendale,
Do you mean 40000 per car? That's a lot of poly count then...

CADster,
Thanks for lots good comments and suggestions.
You can tell my texture skill is not very well (beginner level)...definitely need to work on that more.
BTW, I have couple more questions regarding "MeshSmooth":
1. Does Video game use MeshSmooth at all?
2. How come when I checked the Summary Info (MAX), it shows 2594 as the Face Number....but if I applies MeshSmooth...the number drops to 1516? Really confused about that???

Hope you can answer my question. Thanks.

I'm working on the hi-poly version of the RSX. Here is the WIP. :p

http://www.dacube.com/post/WIP_01.jpg

Wintermute
03-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Another area you probably want to consider for this model are the wheels and brakes. Presently, if you rotate your wheels, your brakes will go with them.

You seem to have enough polys in your budget to allow a second group behind the wheel face, nothing fancy, just a flat plane that your brake (image) map can be applied to, with your rims on the existing geoometry, and an alpha map to make the counters in the rims so you can see the brakes.that should solve the rotating brake calipers, as well as add some more depth to your wheels.

I don't know the poly counts for cars in xbox racing games-kinda wish I did though (I play rallysport challenge, Sega GT, and Project Gotham Racing) PGR has modeled brakes, and RsC has full interiors and underbodies. I'm pretty sure they're beyond 5k triangles for the level of detail present.

also, don't forget that game engines and graphics cards like (demand) triangles.

otherwise, looking pretty sweet!

Keep it up
-'mute

:beer:

Krystman
03-18-2003, 09:39 AM
The meshsmooth stuff is weird. Try to convert it to an editable mesh after you meshsmooth and see what happens then.

I'm kinda impressed by the shader in your hi-poly version - I always failed to create that kind of reflection. Are you using Smax? Is that a plugin renderer or the standart scanline?

KeroSan
03-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys.

Wintermute,
Do you know is there a quick way to convert quad to tri?
Cuz I used to model using quad...works better with MeshSmooth.

Kvystman,
I used Brazil r/s for the reflective shader (Brazil Material).
But in order to get that shiny white reflection, I put a big self-illumination white cylinder around the car, and make it only visible to reflection/refraction.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.