PDA

View Full Version : Render Layer Shadow Pass AA

silver6161
05-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Hello all,

I have setup a scene and I am rendering using render layers and a shadow preset on one of the layers.

The shadows come out in the alpha alright, but they are heavily jagged, no matter how high I push the AA settings on that particular layer or which renderer I use.

Any help on that?

Thanks
s61

silver6161
05-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Partially solved the problem. It seems that Mental Ray is not too happy with Shadow passes, the Maya renderer performs better and can be controlled through the AA settings.

I am still having some problems with fine geometry features but am pushing those to post.

MaNdRaK18
05-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Mental ray depends more on shadow sampling settings than on AA settings 'per se'.

silver6161
06-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Although I HAVE managed to get the shadows more or less ok, thanks to your input, now I have a new, severe problem...

The shadow pass and the diffuse pass don't seem to line up correctly. When I project the shadow of an object onto the ground, I noticed that there is a thin line between the object and the ground in the shadow pass, usually one or two pixels.. Moving the shadow around in post doesn't help at all, as it puts the selfshadowing parts out of place which are fine...

Any ideas???

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2007, 10:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.