PDA

View Full Version : Car Paint Phenomenon-How?

deltaindigo
05-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi, this may be a stupid one:sad:
I want to know how I can use car paint phenomenon,can anyone put a hypershade pic here?
Until now everything I render was black and obviously something is not well connected
Thanks

bwheels02
05-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Maybe its a simple problem. Make sure mental ray is selected in your render globals, add a light or an IBL (HDR). If you look at the car paint phen shader in the attribute editor just click on "Help" at the top of the window and select help on "car paint" (something like that). Hope this helps. :)

deltaindigo
05-30-2007, 09:03 AM
hi,
thanks for reply bwheels02 -from the begining I ve done that- the part I don't understant is:

"The mi_car_paint_phen should be applied as a surface shader in a material".

I ve try all kind of combination but nothing hapend.It works with "metalic paint" but not with "car paint phenomenon".
So, anybody can help??

bgawboy
05-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Not in the Surface Shader slot at the top of the Shading Group, but in the material shader slot in the mental ray tab under Custom Shaders.

For that Surface Shader slot at the top, Maya only knows what to do for maya standard shaders, ie shaders that have implementations for both Maya software and mental ray.

Also, keep in mind that a maya shader plugged into the Surface Shader slot really specifies three shader slots for mental ray: material, shadow, and photon.

When something is connected to the Surface shader slot, I wish it actually grayed out those other mental ray tab Custom Shader slots, similar to what it does for 3ds max.

bwheels02
05-30-2007, 06:08 PM
yes. Material slot. Really all you should have to do middle click hold and drag the material "car pain phen" onto the object in the scene. That should automatically apply the material/shader correctly. Let me know how it goes.

deltaindigo
05-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Problem solved,thanks to all for reply
I had to move Maya from D partition to C partition on HDD- anyway strange thing,now is working :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2007, 10:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.