PDA

View Full Version : Which NForce2???

3dpixle
03-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Hi All,

This is my first posting in this forum, please if you can answer to my questions: I know the nForce2 currently is the best chipset for Athlon XP processors, But there is a confusing point for me. Some board use nForce2S, other nForce2ST other nForce2-G and other nForce2-GT to nForce2-SPP chipsets. Could anyone out there let me know What are the difference of these chips and thier applications, I mean which one is best for CG, which one for Game, and which one for Multi task desktop Pc?

Thanks for your help.

elvis
03-17-2003, 01:45 AM
from what i understand, S is sound (nvidia soundstorm), G is onboard graphics (geforce4mx) and T is TV-Out (not entirely sure about this one however).

all nforce2 chips are virtually identical bar the extra addon features. as to which brand of board is best, that's an entirely different question that i'm not even going to try and start on. i suggest you do some reading online and check out the reviews of various boards from around the place.

CgFX
03-17-2003, 02:28 AM
I would check www.anandtech.com

The Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard was an easy call for me because of all its features, performance, and rock solid support of 400 MHz FSB and DDR400.

3dpixle
03-17-2003, 02:48 AM
Thanks Elvis,
But, What is MCP and SPP?

Sieb
03-17-2003, 03:37 AM
All your answers should be here: http://www.nforcershq.com/

There are three different boards, Gaming, Multimedia, and Desktop. Each one comes with different addons, like firewire, svidio, NIC. The chipsets are the same, I think they all come with 5.1 surroundsound and USB2.0. The only main differences are some have built on Video (And I think some are DualDDR and stock isn't). You can go to Newegg.com and seach for nforce2 boards then look at the specs of each (and pics) and decide what you want option wise. They are all sportscars, same model, same engine, just different colors and options, thats how I look at it.

Asus has like 10 different versions of the same board, just different addons. Asus and Leadtek are the best two boards to look into.

SPP = System Platform Processor (Base Model)
MCP = Media Communications Processor (firewire, NIC)
IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor (Gforec4MX)

elvis
03-17-2003, 04:56 AM
i'm about to buy myself an abit NF7-S rev 1.2 board as soon as i can find one locally. at stock these boards aren't as good as the asus boards (adminttedly only by less than 0.1% in any test you can throw at it), but these babies can be tweaked above and beyond any other nforce2 chipset on the market.

Sieb
03-17-2003, 10:26 PM
http://www.amdworld.co.uk/a7n8.htm

DeathCarrot
03-18-2003, 03:51 PM
i recommend the abit nf7-s r1.2, got all the features of the much more expensive a7n8x deluxe except for dual lan, it's also a great overclocker if you're into that kinda stuff... if you want integrated graphics (i dont recommend it but it's better for some) get the abit nf7-m r1.2 or the epox 8rga+ :thumbsup:

GregHess
03-18-2003, 04:01 PM
I've got two nforce2 Asus boards at work, running 24/7 iterations of dna analysis. Not only that, but people use them WHILE the dna tests are running.

Flawlessly stable machines. They make the Mac's and the Intel machines look unstable by comparison.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.