PDA

View Full Version : blendshapes moving base object (used TSM2 for rig)

amannin
05-29-2007, 02:53 AM
i've read all the other threads that might pertain to my problem, but none seem to help...

my character is already rigged (rigged with TSM2) and now I'm going back and trying to add blendshapes. When I apply my blendshapes it moves the baseshape up exactly 14.096 in Y -- which is exactly the number of units my character was moved upward to align to the grid at 0,0,0. Everytime I apply a blenshape, it causes my base shape to move 14 units upward (so 14 + 14 + 14 etc...)

even if I detach the skin or set the envelope value of the skinCluster (TSM2 node) to zero, the problem still remains. All I did to move up my character, was move his main control (the big main one at the bottom of the feet).

I have tried moving my rig back to its originally bind position at 0,0,0, but it didn't seem to do anything. I've also tried moving the blendshape nodes to the bottom of the hierarchy of deformers.

What is causing this, and what might be a solution?

EDIT: i dont think TSM2 has anything to do with it, but thought I would mention it just incase. if i try copying my blendshapes from the current file into a file before being rigged, I get the same problem :shrug:

EDIT 2: just thought i would mention that if I go to the file before it was rigged and copy that mesh for blendshapes, I dont have any problems -- but I would still like to figure out what's going on.

Nenox
05-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Bad reply. Misunderstood your post.

scroll-lock
05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
ok how do you apply the blendshapes ? You duplicate your rigged mesh , modify it and apply it as a blendshape? If that`s the case check the translation values of that mesh. If they are 0,0,0 then, that`s the case - just move it down 14... bla bla units and freeze its deformation/important!/ that way when you apply this mesh as a blendshape it won`t move your character.

refract
06-01-2007, 08:21 AM
I've noticed this in Maya,.... go to bindpose.. then delete the bind pose. Then you can add or change influences. If you change or add more influences without doing this,... skinning does not behave. Maya's skin clusters have history where they were born.

What is the error from the maya mel window?

Keep in mind, deleting the bind pose, may require you to reskin.

(and if you need to reskin, save a copy of your skinned mesh and reference it in later.. you can "copy skin weights" in later to it.)
And if it does not align up with ur mesh,.. rotate the bones to fit.. then copy skin weights.

amannin
06-02-2007, 06:52 AM
thanks for the replies

unfortunately I just built a new computer so I am currently reinstalling everything and haven't had a chance to reopen this scene -- but i will definitely try what all of you have suggested.

as far as saving the skin maps, i can't -- i never layed out my UVs -- i basically selected faces and manually applied shadders (turned out rather nice). but i'll give the bind pose thing a try...

i'll post what happens once I get everything settled back in and situated...

thanks...

Ramteen
06-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Stange :-? Try to make sure that you haven`t moved any pivot point ( Neither Skined geometry or the blendshape target). And also freezing the tagets makes the same trouble! That`s what I always face since I have that bad habbit to freeze the transformations a alot.

refract
06-04-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm using Maya 8.5.... You may need to use the "skinXfer" script to transfer weights since you are using Maya7.

Maya 8.5 has copy weights which will transfer weights via raycast, nearest bone, etc. Not sure if 7 has this.

amannin
06-04-2007, 08:12 AM
okay, weird -- i opened my file in Maya 8.5, checked the hierarchy of deformers one more time, change the blendshapes to be on top of the skinCluster (essentially after it) and now........dun dun duuuuu, it worked!!! :surprised:

for whatever reason, doing this in version 8.0 did nothing, but doing the exact same thing in 8.5 did -- not sure what was going on, but got it to work...

guess now i can re-import the blendshapes i made in a previous file, back into this one and not have to re-rig (well, paint weights) for my character again. YAyyyyy :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2007, 08:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.