PDA

View Full Version : Q: getting started in realtime 3D coding

jussing
03-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Alright folks! :)

Before y'all say "jesus, there's some noob who thinks he can code a 3D shooter in 12 hours", lemme speak my case first... ;)

I do programming for a living, so I know my way around a compiler, and I know you don't just "learn" new programming environments overnight, by just having someone tell you a thing or two...

So, what I am looking for is sort of a "hello world" example of 3D game coding...

-A simple example, that'll demonstrate something along the lines of a textured box, responding to keyboard and mouse, queued sound effects, and an MP3 or WAV playing in the background...

You know, the very basic techniques of 3D game coding. I'll worry about gameplay and animations later...

I'm downloading some "Cg" stuff from nvidia, but before I spend weeks with that, I would like to know if that's the way to go, or if there is something more appropriate for me out there.

-Also, do I need an additional development environment on top of "Cg", like Microsoft Visual Studio?

Thanks in advance for any reply!! ;)

Cheers,
- Jonas

PS: If anyone cares, my next question will be "how do I use my textured models and animations from Maya in my real-time 3D app?" ;)

CGmonkey
03-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Hm.. this may help you or not ;) Just trying to give my 2 cents!

I don't know but you could try out site like..

http://www.flipcode.net & http://www.gamedev.net

Hmm... Your question about models, textures and maya, I think you could download the Microsoft DirectX 9 SDK. It got a built in exporter/importer named X (.X)

Hope this helps mate! :beer:
Good luck!

jussing
03-17-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks! I will check that out! :thumbsup:

See ya around,
- Jonas

EvoG
03-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Most 3D game coding books will be fairly deceptive, but for the most part, any competent programmer will make more use out of them then someone with little to no programming knowledge.

With that said, you should go straight to a Direct X or OpenGl begining programming book. This is imperative, as these have very deep sdk's, so you can't assume anything, but being a coder, you no doubt know this.

Next, do as CgMonkey suggests and go to both Flipcode and Gamedev and make friends. Lot and lots of threads, tuts and papers can be found on nearly anything you can possibly ask. Boat loads of reading.

Finally, when you become proficient with the API's in either or both, grab yourself a copy of the Graphics Gems series, and I recommend all the books, but make sure you definitely get the latest. They're hardcover and not cheap, and vol. One or Two may be more difficult to locate ( amazon ).

Just to note, you may be inclined to pick up the DX books that pertain specifically to game development...these are misleading...as they give the impression you'll be making anything of any real value. Unfortunately they use their own libraries to make the 'game' contained in the book, and you usually never delve deep enough into them, or even at all. So you're left with a general concepts, logistics, organization and rudimentary implementation. The value is in just that, concepts, but unfortunately you're gonna have to read a lot of different books to acquire all the information you'll eventually need.

To be perfectly honest, if you're an efficient programmer, make strong use of and understand classes, and have organizational skills, then focus on understanding realtime 3D, and get 3D models up and running with DX (or OGL of course ), and understand how to call them and manipulate them. Beyond that, a vast majority of game coding revolves around concept, like any programming, and understanding 'why a game works and does what it does'. Thats where those 'halfway', programming 3D games books come in, as again, they give your head a taste of what to 'think' about when organizing the functions of your game.

Hope that helped.

Cheers. :)

jussing
03-17-2003, 12:51 PM
You've been tons of help, both of you!

So far it looks like all the info I need right now need is on this page (http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/) at GameDev, including everything from 3D to 2D, keyboard, mouse, sound, AVI, etc...

Thanks!!!

Forever grateful,
- Jonas

MySpleen
03-18-2003, 08:34 PM
There's two routes here. First you gotta decide if you wanna start purely from scratch and make your own engine, or get one of the manymany engines already cheaply available. I personally would reccommend buying one, but you still may need to know engine coding anyway, its always helpful. Anyway, you could take a look at the nebula engine if you can find it, its the engine used to make project nomads, and its completely free and open-source so it might be good to learn from...

jussing
03-19-2003, 08:16 AM
Muchas gracias!

I will try that direction, too!

Toodlepips,
- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.