PDA

View Full Version : Go to a school and learn? Or teach myself and study hard?

abowler
05-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Hopefully this is the right place to post this..

I'm having trouble choosing which way to go to "get in" to animation. Do I enrol in a course at a school and pay those nasty fees, or do I teach myself using books, dvds, internet etc.

Have people found one way better than the other?

What program/s would I need to buy to have the industry standard, which I will then learn everything there is to know about the program.

I know the basic 2d Flash animation type stuff, and love drawing, and now ready to hit it hard with "professional" 3d animation and just the whole animation/illustration/art lifestyle.

I'm pumped and ready to go, after I've just passed this first initial hurdle. Please help me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Bigalpimp
05-28-2007, 03:59 PM

I'm having trouble choosing which way to go to "get in" to animation. Do I enrol in a course at a school and pay those nasty fees, or do I teach myself using books, dvds, internet etc.

What program/s would I need to buy to have the industry standard, which I will then learn everything there is to know about the program.

I know the basic 2d Flash animation type stuff, and love drawing, and now ready to hit it hard with "professional" 3d animation and just the whole animation/illustration/art lifestyle.

I'm pumped and ready to go, after I've just passed this first initial hurdle. Please help me.

Thankyou.

bro you are in the SAME EXACT situation i was in a few days ago...ive decided to go to Animationmentor(ive applied and am waiting for conforormation) or another online school to zone in a focus on ANIMATION an no all that other stuff. imo theres no sense in going to a 4 year college for CG when most of the stuff you can teach your self. like my plan right now is to read up on a few books people here have recomended Illusion of life and animators handbook sketch a lil more and hope i get into animation mentor...once i complet that course in a year+ ill study up a lil on modeling and other stuff and should be ready to send out demo reels and stuff..friom what ive heard companys dont neccasary require degerrees for the jobs just a nice demo reel and exp. hope i helped a lil...the nice people on this board helped me so i thought i could do the same to someone else

sorry for the spelling errors im lazing and am about to go to work

GoldenCamel
05-29-2007, 12:41 AM

Thankyou.

i'll give you the short answer becasue this subject has been brought up a thousand times and you should have done a search forum instead of posting a new topic.

if you wanna become an animator, go to animationmentor.com, if you cant afford it, stay home and teach yourself, and read below while youre at it

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4413221#post4413221

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4378744&postcount=8

abowler
05-29-2007, 02:37 AM
Thanks heaps for the replies. I guess the first part is learning the software. Once you've done that.. it will never end.

Animation Mentor looks amazing. Don't quite have the money for it yet though. That's exactly what I want to be doing.

focus on ANIMATION an no all that other stuff

i know what you mean.

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2007, 02:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.