PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored copy of an object tree, how?

tokai
05-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

Currently I'm facing a problem here. I have a object tree (Null Object with bunch of child objects: HyperNurb smoothed meshs and primitives) and I need a mirrored copy of it.

Using Symetry Object and then "Current state to object" makes all the child objects 'editable' which is not what's wanted (I want to keep the Nurbs and Primitives). Copy + Rotating 180 doesn't work in this case either.

I really can't figure out how to do it. Any help or tips are really appreciated.

regards,
tokai

Jorge Arango
05-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Scale it to -1.

Jorge Arango

noseman
05-28-2007, 04:15 PM
As Jorge Arango mentions, group everything under a null object, and then in the Coordinates manager, type scale -1 in the appropriate axis value (depending on what axis you need the symmetry to be. One inportant thing to have in mind is the actual tool you have selected before doing this. If you have the object tool selected, the scaled objects' axis get screwed up. To avoid this, use the model tool instead.

Good luck

ecore
05-28-2007, 04:59 PM
also "character/mirror" tool:)

tokai
05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Both solutions worked like a charm (Character/Mirror is a bit more comfortably). To get the -1 trick to work I had to explicitly shift select all childs too (just selecting the root NULL Object didn't do the trick).

Thanks a lot for the help, saved me quite some head ache. :)

with best regards,
tokai

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.