PDA

View Full Version : What a good resolution?

X-WARRIOR
03-16-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi guys!

Today I was rendering some test anim for The Exodus...and I asked myself what was the best resolution to distribute the movie. 768x480 seem to be too big...but I don't want a 320x?? thingie cause it's too small...can anyone give me suggestion?

Thank you!

Apollux
03-16-2003, 08:37 PM
About the resolution I couldn't tell... my best educated guess is to use the PC preset at 75%, in the end it all comes to what compression codec you use.

Now, WHERE IN HEAVEN can one find the Exodus proyect on the internet ? I 've looking for it since a while. All links seems to be dead.

dani
03-16-2003, 10:15 PM
well, you sould render it at the most you're disk capacity allows you since you can rescale afterwards and compress.

If you want to pass it to VHS, use the presets on the right of the screen, yo can compress a bit.
If you want to distribute it on the Web, you'll most probably want to do it in DivX and a 480*360 might do the trick.
There is something i've got trouble to understand though...
why do you HAVE to set an aspect ration for images to appear correctly on some medias? aspect ration is something i've never understood, if someone can turn my lights on?...

JamesMK
03-17-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by dani
why do you HAVE to set an aspect ration for images to appear correctly on some medias? aspect ration is something i've never understood, if someone can turn my lights on?...

It's simply because all pixels are not square... The ratio basically corresponds to the height/width ratio of the smallest image element of the media in question.

Apollux
03-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by JamesMK
It's simply because all pixels are not square... The ratio basically corresponds to the height/width ratio of the smallest image element of the media in question.

Would you care to elaborate? Now the subject looks more obscure for me!
:shrug:

StratoS
03-17-2003, 12:37 AM
a pixel has no set size.

there can be 800 pixels in a 1 by 1 square.
or there could be 1 pixel in a 1 by 1 square.

(atleast that's what i make of it.)

JamesMK
03-17-2003, 12:39 AM
Well, assume that you're doing something on your computer screen. You scale things in various directions until you feel that it looks the way you want it. You render, and it looks good.

Now, take that same render and display it on some systems on which image elements are twice as high as they are wide. Your image, that looked OK on your screen, is now all squashed (or squished, dunno which) because of the difference in ratio. If you compensate while rendering for the target ratio, it will look funny while you render, but it will look good when viewed on whatever device it's supposed to be viewed on.

Clear? Or, what? :D

Apollux
03-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Now THAT makes sense!!! :eek:

dani
03-17-2003, 09:39 AM
thanks!

Helped my lil' brain!

Dani

burnhard
03-24-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Apollux
About the resolution I couldn't tell... my best educated guess is to use the PC preset at 75%, in the end it all comes to what compression codec you use.

Now, WHERE IN HEAVEN can one find the Exodus proyect on the internet ? I 've looking for it since a while. All links seems to be dead.

I had some trouble finding the site, I finally got through by some japanese site..

http://www.the-exodus.tk/

:airguitar is this the missing link?

--

*****... I just noticed it's in his BLOODY SIG AT THE TOP :scream:

:thumbsup:

theeth
03-26-2003, 12:27 AM
try this instead http://www.bobnet.org/~the-exodus/

Martin

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.