PDA

View Full Version : Strange behavior on 2.26

Apollux
03-16-2003, 09:19 PM
Somebody could tell me WHY and WHO put this on the new Blender 2.26

I have a not so complex model (a space ship) and was testing the Beauty fill option. So I go into edit mode, press X and erase all the faces (faces only). Then Shift-F to do an automatic fill.... looks horrible, as expected. and them... I press Alt+F for a beauty fill that is supposed to fix things a little.

Well, instead of performing the beauty fill, a pop-up comes asking 'Wanna Crash?'' and the only answer available is 'Yes, Please!'. No matters how many times you press the damm** answer, it keeps comming back. (to make it go park the mouse over the info tittle).

Private jokes like the monkey thing are ok, but this?

NOTE: In more simply meshes, beauty fill works as a charm.

Tommi
03-16-2003, 10:42 PM
:surprised You're kidding... :eek:
I must check that....

Apollux
03-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Tommi
:surprised You're kidding... :eek:
I must check that....

Nope, I'm dead serious .. here is the proof

http://www.freewebs.com/apollux/wannacrash.jpg

(Copy and paste on a new window, clicking on it won't work).

dani
03-17-2003, 12:33 AM
Hey yep!

I got this one already! I was at the university and almost died of breath shortage from too much laughing.

Oh, i can only suggest you to select only the band of faces you want to correct. Instead of using Alt-F you can also use CTRL+F on this selection to make the links between the vertices "rotate"

Most useful hotkeys while modelling:
S for Scale
Alt+S for normal scale
G for Grab
E for extrude
F for build Face/edge/loft...
CTRL+T >> triangulate
CTRL+F>>Rotate edge-links
SHIFT+J quadrangulate.

Dani

Apollux
03-17-2003, 12:42 AM
The last 3 hotkeys are totally new to me.

Thanks a lot, but still I want to know who is responsible for such a joke. :shame:

You almost died from too much laughing, I almost died from a heart atack.... haven't saved the file when the popup came.

dani
03-17-2003, 12:50 AM
Haha! there's most probably a backup file in your temp directory whenever blender comes to crash.

Oh, did it actually crash? When it occured at the university it didn't crash.

Dani

Azmodan Kijur
03-17-2003, 12:50 AM
Haven't gotten one of those yet. Gotta love a programmer with a sense of humor. :D :D :)

Apollux
03-17-2003, 01:38 AM
It didn't crash right there, but I got so pissed off and couldn'f find the way to close the annoying popup I had to kill the whole Blender process (yep, I'm running on Linux).

Lucky enough for me, from some time ago I set Blender to keep 5 versions for the file I'm working on, so no matter how bad it gets there is allways hope, but many people doesn't even know about that option.

Tommi
03-17-2003, 11:19 AM
I can understand Apollux.... I would have even suspected an evily destructive manipulated version of Blender... who knows, since it is Open Source... :surprised

ilac
03-17-2003, 12:12 PM
The 'wanna crash' has been around long before Blender went open source. It was definetly on the original Nan 2.25 publisher. I've had it appear quite a few times but I don't recall it ever actually leading to a crash - though it always took a while till I got control of the program again. So next time it happens give it some time if you feel you might be losing some important work by terminating the program.

First time, I laughed too! :p
First time only though.
:surprised

:thumbsup:

hanspb
03-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Any popup can be cancelled by pressing Esc or by moving the mouse away from the popup.

Hans Petter

ilac
03-17-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by hanspb
Any popup can be cancelled by pressing Esc or by moving the mouse away from the popup.

Hans Petter

Nope. Not the 'Wanna Crash' popup. It sticks to the mouse and esc won't do anything.

Tommi
03-17-2003, 01:20 PM
What a nasty popup :annoyed:

theeth
03-17-2003, 02:50 PM
I saw that popup once in 2.25, when using the booleans on very high geometry meshes. Fortunatly, I could cancel it by pressing Escape.

Don't know why it happens for beauty fill though.

Martin

Apollux
03-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Well... not exactly related to the popup, but didn't want to start a new thread for this.

There is another thing that really bugs me about 2.26. Did you guys notice that we no longer have the intercept option?

Yep, they took it away, the only really usefull option, even more usefull that the booleans.
:annoyed: (who allways manage to yield a different result that the one you are expecting)

Bad booleans, bad!:thumbsdow

theeth
03-19-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Apollux
Well... not exactly related to the popup, but didn't want to start a new thread for this.

There is another thing that really bugs me about 2.26. Did you guys notice that we no longer have the intersect option?

yup, it was removed because of the extreme buggyness and crash prone state of the function.

Yep, they took it away, the only really usefull option, even more usefull that the booleans.
:annoyed: (who allways manage to yield a different result that the one you are expecting)

Bad booleans, bad!:thumbsdow

Booleans are based on BSP trees, so they can be sort of impredictable when using some type of meshes.

I suggest you take a look at the explanations on how to use them starting at the bottom there: http://www.elysiun.com/specials.php?id=10&page=6

Martin

Apollux
03-19-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by theeth
yup, it was removed because of the extreme buggyness and crash prone state of the function.

Well, I must say that I NEVER got a crash due to the interception tool.

Originally posted by theeth
Booleans are based on BSP trees, so they can be sort of impredictable when using some type of meshes.

I take that you are been really really polite with the 'sort of impredictable' statment.

Booleans as they are right now sure work like a charm when it comes to 'default' meshes, but have you tryed to use booleans on hand crafted meshes (hand crafted but closed and with all normals 'normalized'). UGLY falls short to describe what you get.

Also, the fact that booleans need to be performed on closed meshes is a big disadvantage to me, real life meshes usually aren't full air-proof. (a head has eyes sockets, a vase has an opening, etc. etc.) Sure one can model stand-in 'seals', but that seems like more trouble than a solution.

In my opinion Blender should have included Booleans BUT ALSO included the interception tool, and leat each blenderhead use whatever floats his boat.

Martin. Don't take this like a personal issue with you, is just that I need to vent the steam :hmm:

Apollux
03-19-2003, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the Link, though.... It will helpme reduce the 'uglyness' of booleans until a better solution arrises.

theeth
03-19-2003, 03:54 AM
Martin. Don't take this like a personal issue with you, is just that I need to vent the steam :hmm:
no problem, it wasn't me who decided to remove it, and frankly, I don't care much, but if enough people complain at the right place (hint hint blender.org hint hint), I'm pretty sure they'll add the button back.

If I understood correctly, they just unlinked the button to the window, the function is still there.

Martin

Apollux
03-19-2003, 04:19 AM
I'll start complaining right away! :airguitar

Anyone cares to join me at the forum on Blender3d.org?

Apollux
03-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Guys (and girls, if any) I could really use your support here

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1137

The more people voice theyr opinion on the subject the more likely we could get the intercep back into Blender.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.