PDA

View Full Version : Viewsonic VX2000?

dmeyer
03-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Viewsonic VX2000 LCDs? Any thoughts, pro/cons?

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vx2000.htm

ToddD
03-18-2003, 03:54 AM
Dmeyer, I don't have experience, but I had read that response time on all LCD's is not quite where we need them to be. I say "we" because CG artists are not your typical users. Here's what I've read. Response time-----length of time it takes LCD to turn its pixels on and off is currently (February PCworld Mag) 25 MillSec. 25 MS translates to 40 FPS. Newer LCDs boast 16MS response which translates to a little over 60 FPS, this is the magic number for fluid response in video games. However, response time on CRT monitors is several orders of magnitude faster than the fastest LCD. The result, blurring in DVD tests, and fuzzy text display on LCDs. In the article I am looking at as I write this, they say that within the next 2 to 3 years Reponse time will drop to 7MS for LCDs. I want to get 1 of these as well, but I don't think now is the time. Be patient, better products at a lower price point are on the horizon. I currently have a Viewsonic CRT, I may be partial, but when I have seen LCDs side by side, the Viewsonics' have by far the best picture quality. That may change, but I like their products. Hope this helped a little:beer:

elvis
03-18-2003, 03:58 AM
Tbonz816 couldn't have put it better. While i love the flicker-free and slim design of LCDs, they really suck for anything other than your average cubicle-farm employee who spends all day reading emails and typing letters due entirely to their low response time.

one other thing to note is colour correction on LCDs is terrible. if you're doing any serious 2D art, i'd suggest you stay away from these and spend your money on a good quality flat-screen CRT instead.

give it 12 months and things may change, but for now it's not worth it.

ggg
03-18-2003, 04:22 AM
the technical reasons may be strong to wait but from a pure user point of view I can sit many many more hours comfortably at an lcd. crts are simply blurry and even at the highest refresh i find them more "buzzy", I'd rather sit at my worthy sgi lcd from three years ago than the best crt of today especially for long hours.

CgFX
03-18-2003, 02:45 PM
There are LCD's that have color correction capabilities (e.g. ajustable white balance).

There are also LCD's that have very fast pixel response (sub 20 ms).

However, these are not your average $500 or less 17" panels.

elvis
03-18-2003, 10:11 PM
typical case of you gets what you pays for. :)

ToddD
03-18-2003, 11:54 PM
While Sub 20MS might be quick for an LCD, still isn't close to a CRT. As of the publish date of the test I quoted when I responded, they claimed 16 MS to be the fastest they had seen. I think this is a situation where if you buy 1 now, in a short while, you will wish you waited. A good LCD can run into the thousands pricewise. In a year or more I'm sure you will be able to buy 1 at a much lower price, and it will most likely outperform the current higher priced models.:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.