PDA

View Full Version : Rendering from Maya 8.5 to Maya 7

DigitallyReal
05-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi, I've been a member for awhile and I have had little or no issues with Maya 8.5. I have gotten much better at my modeling skills to the point where rendering has become more frequent.

I have Maya 8.5 on my New PC and on my old PC I have Maya 7. Does anyone know of a certian file format I can use to transfer some of my objects to Maya 7 so I can render some of the less intense scenes?

I figured while my main pc is rendering I could some find some use for the old Maya 7. I know Maya 7 does not have all the features as Maya 8.5 has of course but I would like to be able to still render some stuff that is less intense and that I could comp back in later.

So I tried using the obj. file format but that does not work becasue then my polygonal objects are one giant mesh, then the Maya ascii format won't read on Maya 7 so I have no clue if there even is a way to get my object back to maya 7.

If anyone knows of a way that I can transfer my objects as separate parts (like a car for example) that would be great.

Thank you for yourr time.

Jozvex
05-28-2007, 02:45 AM
What you need to do to make the Maya ASCII format work for you, is open the file up in a text editor and change the "requires Maya 8.5" type of statements in the first few lines of the file to say 7.0 instead.

Then it should open in Maya 7!

:thumbsup:

DigitallyReal
05-28-2007, 04:49 AM
oh wow cool! Thank you so much!

This will save me hours of setting scenes up, rigging my characters and models again.

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2007, 04:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.