PDA

View Full Version : Last Descendant, Shawnye (2D)

ShawnYe
03-16-2003, 08:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/23327/lastdescendant_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/23327/lastdescendant.jpg)

Hi Here is one of my recent work.
I'm having trouble with colours. Any advice on that would be great.
C&C welcome.

Castrol
03-16-2003, 08:32 PM
ewwaaaa uuu hi:eek: Holy shit!:love: :bowdown:

Rizzo
03-16-2003, 08:36 PM
Gooooooooodamnit !!! :drool:

rulez-rulez-rulez !!!

JonasNoell
03-16-2003, 09:02 PM
HOLY SHIT, THIS IS A DAMN NICE FORTUNE CITY SIGN :bowdown:
:bowdown: :bowdown:

JonasNoell
03-16-2003, 09:09 PM
I can see it now, and holy shit it really kicks ass! Awesome job, really breathtaking...

cANt

samartin
03-16-2003, 09:24 PM
cool as f### :beep:

Having trouble with the colours, keep as is I say...

:applause:

Dreamwave
03-16-2003, 09:26 PM
WOW AWSOME!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Dark-Angel
03-16-2003, 09:27 PM
:eek: wish i had that kind of skill... this is sweet... and what probleme with colors? extremly nice work :drool:

aneas
03-16-2003, 09:28 PM
Very nice! :surprised

I would like to see more green in the wood and grey/silver on the sword.
The fingernails on his right paw seem to be sharp, but on the left paw they're human-like.

mfg aneas

SheepFactory
03-16-2003, 09:29 PM
I also dont see a problem with the colors. Awesome piece.

:eek:

KOBALT_KORE
03-16-2003, 09:37 PM
Whoa :drool:

That's wicked!
The colours look fine to me.:thumbsup:

Hamsterhead
03-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Im having trouble with the colours, THEY ARE TOO GOOD!!!,

that is superlative!, really really nice, I thought it was just a normal tiger when it was loading, and the 'hello' theres a hand.

should be given its own tv show, and film rights

idvah
03-16-2003, 09:40 PM
first off this is awesome, just incredible, but one problem I am having with it is, that green token, it just seems out of place, maybe if you made it gold, or something. Either way, it just rules!

ed209
03-16-2003, 09:52 PM
All I see is a Fortune City ad.:hmm:

nObedienz
03-16-2003, 09:53 PM
uhm..problem with colours?

...where? :surprised

no goddamn problems with colours here! rock on! :buttrock:

BnE
03-16-2003, 10:10 PM
it's incredible... i love that !

Atwooki
03-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Really imaginative piece; well done!!!
As a minor crit, I would suggest a little more contrast/texture/specularity on the leather thongs of the gauntlet..and perhaps allowinging the back-light to catch the 'fingers' of the near paw more...

Agree with comment about the green ring-pull-like/netsuke shaped object dangling from the waist - perhaps defining the light more here (so as to define for the viewer the type of material better - ie. metal or plastic) would help....

Atwooki

Dun
03-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Wow! Beautiful work. :bowdown:

I agree with idva though. The pendant should be made to fit in with the rest of the pallete.

Also.. For me personally... the sword blade doesn't stand out enough... I actually missed it altogether at first...

Aamaaazing work!!!
:eek: :thumbsup:

John Lee
03-16-2003, 10:19 PM
excellent. It'sa funny cause i was thinking of doing a character like this. you got to him first though.

amos_chid
03-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Are you sure u have troble with the color :rolleyes: ??

This is awesome duuuude, i think the color is fine :buttrock:

Stratobrain
03-16-2003, 10:26 PM
I think it really looks great :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

This is only a suggestion: Below and to the right of the Tiger seems t be a faint blueish light source. I played a bit with this image in Photoshop (please take no offence :D) and I thought it looked slightly more balanced if this light was stronger reflected on the grip of the sword and also the closer Background. But that's probably very subjective perception, as we don't know what this light is coming from.

XerC
03-16-2003, 10:50 PM
HMPFLGRRRSTPFFFFF!!!

Translation: "Hell! This is great!!!" :argh: :xtreme:

Keep it up man!
XerC

Eh, and btw, are those gloves made of tiger-fur? :twisted: :curious:

Maria
03-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Looks very impression!
It resemble me a game character....

BiTMAP
03-16-2003, 11:05 PM
can you turn him around so i can see the back, I want him to be looking more at me, do that agian, but flatter.

;) GJ

Threedeemer
03-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Wow! That is an incredible work of art. :eek:
Great sense of motion you achieved in the pose. Perfect, can't critique, only admire.

swampthing
03-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Very cool, very everquesty as well. Could definately have been their box art for the Luclin expansion with the Vah shir cat race they had in it.

I think the sword needs to stand out more though, it's too close to the background colorwise. I'd also like to see some more clothes/armor on him, some shoulder things or something, but that's just a personal preference.

Zeio
03-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Wow, I am in awe of your skill and how perfect this painting is. Please PLEASE can you post a high res version or a wallpaper :) so it can grace my desktop.

-Zeio

eh
03-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Great work. there just the rigth arm and shoulder that seems to be alot lighter than it should be, it gives it that superimposed look, if you can ad some of that rustic colour shade onto the fur it might help unify the image and also the head to shoulder seem to be on the same plane the illusion of depth is a little bit off because the right fur having the same tint as the trapezius and shoulder, adding some shadow there could help, i could be wrong but this is my advice.

aspiretek
03-17-2003, 12:08 AM
:cry: :eek: :argh: A warm feeling wells up in me.......

Any influence from Tellos (the comic book) for this character?

PolyMangler
03-17-2003, 12:15 AM
eh it's okay...you can sooo tell that's paint by numbers though :shame:

lol just kiddin man that's awesome work...have any tutorials or some methods you follow when you embark on doing something like that?

Jonathan
03-17-2003, 12:22 AM
All I see is a fortune city add :(

stephen2002
03-17-2003, 12:25 AM
amazing work. NOTHING needs modification, looks great to me!

Mangled Poly
03-17-2003, 12:26 AM
that is to amazing for words!

ceql
03-17-2003, 01:20 AM
Looks awesomely great! :bounce:

hollywood
03-17-2003, 01:35 AM
Just I question on your procedure?

do you pencil sketch the drawing out first or do you do everything in photoshop?

and sorry if I'm repeating but I think the sword looks to much like the mountains behind him, maybe lighting it up a bit just for some contrast!

thats all I can crit, its look amazing!

its seems like its a 2 part poster, you should do the other side I'm interested to see what he so pissed at!

roguenroll
03-17-2003, 01:59 AM
killer.

BTW those colors are spot on, to me.

3Ds
03-17-2003, 02:04 AM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: awsome dude!!!! u really make us proud! keep up the good work!!!!!! POWER OF GREY SKULL!!!

lildragon
03-17-2003, 02:10 AM
GAH! jaw dropping man, simply awespiring! If you want to fix the lil green trinket, just saturate it some more. But this is first class work, no need to worry about the colors from this point on :) What was this done for btw?

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

squidinc
03-17-2003, 02:28 AM
woah :surprised

you got skills :applause:

platypus
03-17-2003, 02:28 AM
man, that fortune city ad is AMAZING!!! :buttrock:

just kidding... what happened to the image?? looks fantastic from what I can see in the fingernail on the main cgtalk page.

:curious:

tomb
03-17-2003, 02:32 AM
Truly awesome. :applause:

lildragon
03-17-2003, 02:33 AM
I just edited his post and pointed to the gallery page... So everyone should see it now. And guys don't forget to visit the CGTalk Hall of Fame gallery. Use the link above or save it as a favorite. It's really inspirational to look at

http://gallery.cgtalk.com

salud

nukee
03-17-2003, 02:36 AM
I think I might know what would help you with your colors. Best bet is to play around with the saturation of colors. Right now all your colors are at the same level of saturation. Most likely your going to want to pump up the saturation on the figure in the lighted areas, since that is your focal point. Also play with the contrast a bit and try softening and blurring some of the background or forground elements to help create more depth. Try to think of your focal area or where you want your visual pathways to go, and anything that isn't in those areas, soften up. Don't be afraid to lose some of your drawings, if it helps the readability of an image, go for it.

Make copies of the original image in layers and just try playing with it a bit, you'd be surprised how much you could learn by taking an image that you think is finished and just pushing in one direction to the max and then pulling back. Other then that, not much I could suggest, I think some of your brush work could be more economized, or that you could expand your brush set, but that would just be being picky. Overall it's a very nice image...very nice :D, I especially like how you've tilted the view to give it that extra kick :P

lildragon
03-17-2003, 02:40 AM
BTW can I have a wallpaper? :love: 1600x1200 or 1280x1024 if you have it :D

salud

Jonathan
03-17-2003, 03:02 AM
Now I can see why you have all of the "oooooooooooossssss" and "aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhssssss" Great work! :thumbsup:

BTW, I don't see anything wrong with the color. Anyway color is a subjective thing and often advice given for correction is based on personal preference. If it's technical however then yes that can be advised. I find that far too often here at CG talk corrections that are subject to the viewer and creator are given which kinda stifles eccentricity. Some like and want drab, others like and want bright and vibrant yet slightly off balance.

xasteycracker
03-17-2003, 03:17 AM
This piece of art is amazing it should be put in a art studio and be sold off. Iam glad to see that you got an award for this because this is eye dropping. GREAT WORK!!!!:buttrock::drool:

ZVAN
03-17-2003, 03:55 AM
WAHLAU eH! go dIE lar.. pAinT unTIL so chUN!!! eheh! Jk.. really nice.. SinGaPoRiaN huh! heh.. mah proud neighbour painter!:airguitar

aaron johnson
03-17-2003, 04:11 AM
Man that is great!! Do you have a pic with the full body?

Spike Siegel
03-17-2003, 04:53 AM
Sweet Fancy Moses that's Hot, keep up the good work dude:drool: :buttrock:

FatherGlory
03-17-2003, 05:09 AM
Excellent Work! I love werecat type creatures.

I really don't have a prob with most of the colors. I agree with some of the comments tho on the sword color and the saturation levels.

Well done.

lmc
03-17-2003, 05:28 AM
Wow.....pretty good, really nice....hoho:beer:

K-pen
03-17-2003, 05:36 AM
Great stuff man!! should post up some of yr amazing pencil works as well. :buttrock: :thumbsup:

Ewan Lee
03-17-2003, 05:43 AM

ShawnYe

Great Work! but since you asked for suggestions this is a quick photoshop fix... hope you don't mind... I just feel like that it would look better with a bit more contrast and separation between the various elements...

Ewan

Thanks for posting!

http://www.geocities.com/wanwoolee/lastdescendant.jpg

Aeroplane
03-17-2003, 06:21 AM
wa.............nice@@.........:eek: :thumbsup: :bounce: :airguitar :buttrock:

akela
03-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Nice work! I shouldn't make great changes in your colors... it's OK by now IMO... maybe a little tweaking on the sword and the sky... mmm... I don't know... :)
Ewan Lee: that isn't a suggestion, it's changing from day to night!! :P (hehehe, well, it seems a little radical... :) )

platypus
03-17-2003, 06:42 AM
thanks for the fix, lildragon!

beautiful work... beautiful.

manutara
03-17-2003, 10:09 AM
But I agree with Ewan Lee and his example. Your job need more contrast to realy emphasize your nice job and the composition. And the blue background make more sense with the blue light or color casting on the chest.

:drool: :applause: Very nice job.

r2d3
03-17-2003, 10:13 AM
marvevlous piece of work
just 1 thing
the swords color is the same as the background , but in my opinion needs more contrast
keep em comming :thumbsup:

haslingerDesign
03-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Fantastic ShawnYe,

the way you combined the elements of animal tiger and human.
Really clever. Especially in the stomach area where ribs and "tiger pattern" come together.

]gRe[

g3n
03-17-2003, 11:17 AM
amazing! :bounce:

wave
03-17-2003, 01:02 PM
cool,i can't say nothing.

TBKoen
03-17-2003, 05:27 PM
*right mouse click* *set as background* :P
really really really awesome

Serial Killer
03-17-2003, 05:49 PM
All I got to say is......damn!!:applause: pretty cool cha you got there, when I saw it in the front page I thought it was another nice drawing of a tiger but this is much more cool congrats!

zoso
03-18-2003, 12:22 AM
i would either brighten your character up or add more shade or neutrals to the background so that your character stands out even more than he already does.

the bg and the character don't seem to contrast enough for my tastes... but hey that's just me..

other wise spectacular!!

Reza_82ir
03-18-2003, 01:12 AM
:thumbsup:

Plasticbag
03-18-2003, 03:20 AM
Really great.. not that i can do it but i think the lighting can be better..Keep it up!

jadedchron
03-18-2003, 05:19 AM
the head seems out of place.

ShawnYe
03-19-2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. They have made me more aware of the choice of colours I have made.
I'd taken some of the suggestions and made some changes but theses are minors.
Added tint of blue to the reflections of the blade, touches of green to his loincloth to balance with the jade. A little more specularity and contrast to the leather.
I try not to let other elements overpower the face of the cat because thats where I want the focus to be.
http://www.shawnye.com/images/lastdescendant.jpg

idvah - The jade was actually an afterthought to introduce some green into the scene. Perhaps being the only green in the scene makes it seem out of place.

Atwooki - I've bring up the contrast of the leather and define the jade thing a little more.

Stratobrain - very often I put in light source to bring out more forms and depth. I think I'll need to take note on how its going to affect other elements as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

swampthing - That was what I had in mind too wanting to give him some armour/ clothes but I wanted to try painting fur this time so that explains the lack of clothing.

da_maxx_82 - I see what you mean about the superimposed look and being on the same plane the illusion of depth. Probably being lacking shadows and the colours being the same value.

aspiretek - I did a google search on it. It seems like I have a new set of comics to collect. (laughs) I remember seeing the toy somewhere tho. Could have also been insipred by Realms of the Claw.

polyMangler - Not too sure I follow any specific techniques but I'll always have my favourite artists paintings place in front of me when I paint to inspire me.

hollywood - Most times I'd have a pencil sketch or layout done but for this I started everything in photoshop. Pretty much letting myself experiment with composition, colour, lighting etc.

lildragon- That has got to be one of the biggest encouragement for me. Thanks. This was actually done as a practice to experiment on composition, colour, lighting etc.

nukee - I'm going to take note of these, you have pointed out many a things to keep in mind that I always find myself having trouble with when painting. Thanks.

Jonathan - very true that colours is actually a subjective thing. Every individuals have their own preferences. I'm still searching for it.

Ewan Lee - good point there, cool colours helps turn planes away from viewer warm comes closer. By bringing the saturation level up you have made the elements stand out more. Thanks

manutara - I think the addition of blues to the background will be great to balance things up. I tried doodling in photoshop but it seems a little to tedious to make any changes at this stage. I 'll put that in mind.

]gRe[ - That has got to be one of the most challenging part getting the stripes to flow naturally. Much changes was made before settling on the final look.

zoso - point taken.

idvah
03-19-2003, 01:37 PM
thanks for the reply, its still amazing with the green :D

Atwooki
03-19-2003, 02:18 PM
Excellent job, and careful considerations of the (numerous!) crits undertaken...
Would STILL put a little more rim light on the far side of the leather gauntlet, just to emphasise the closeness to the viewer,
and if time allows, give more of a 'flow' feeling to the cloth around his waist.
Great Stuff! especially the creature's fur.

Atwooki

Franky
03-19-2003, 11:30 PM
This is really well done.Very vivid colors and true art.:thumbsup:

Mappy
03-20-2003, 03:26 PM
ha! I like this!!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

DrakeX
03-20-2003, 09:22 PM
i love this kind of drawing! it's the kind where you can zoom it to 400x and it STILL looks good! bravo, make more :applause:

this one's getting saved to my computer..

gOat
03-21-2003, 05:51 AM
nice work man!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

BluemoonX
03-21-2003, 05:55 AM
holy shit!!! This really kick my a** man

Sp00k
03-31-2003, 07:07 AM
Looks awesome...

As with the colours, the only problem I can see is that both the tiger and the sword blend into the background a bit. Only after half a minute did i even notice he had a sword.

Maybe making the subject stand out a little more would make what is an excellent piece into a perfect one.

Keep up the good work.

bowditch
06-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Looks like you are getting there!! Everything seems set up well, motion/action/pose, great twist on the horizon, and great expression on the beast. Question of colours may arise from the fact that the figure is lost a little in the picture. There are too many similar colours ... all are tones of oranges and umbers, ochers, etc ... so it is offset toward warm colours. Cool the background down, and the warms of the character will punch out more and he will come more into center play. You could go for the colours you used in the shadow of the blue fur under the chest.

Have fun!!

Marc

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2005, 06:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.