PDA

View Full Version : have a texture on both side of an object?

theflatlander
05-27-2007, 03:26 PM
we did this in school, but unfortunately I have forgotten how to do it=(
Letīs say if I have a polygon plane, and want to have a texture on the front and one on the back, how can I possibly do this? I know that itīs possible, by connecting some kind of nodes, but I just donīt remember how!
Think there should be a tutorial somewhere on the web, does anyone know where?

Please help me!

MaNdRaK18
05-27-2007, 05:41 PM
'mib_twosided' is the answer for Your question.
You can find it in create mental ray nodes under 'Sample Compositing' tab.
You plug different textures for 'Front' and 'Back', and then plug 'mib_twosided' into color slot of any material shader including Maya ones.
Just tried it with Maya procedural 2d textures (grid&cloth) and Maya Phong, and it works.

Ash-Man
05-28-2007, 07:11 PM
if you are using Maya software render

- In the Hypershade window, create a Shading Material (any will do, but in this case, a Blinn).
- Create a Condition Utility, a SamplerInfo Utility, and create the 2 textures to be used (in this case a fractal and a Ramp).
Assign the Blinn to the geometry
- connect the OutColor (of the fractal texture) to the Color if true (of the Condition Utility). This assigns the Noise to the outside of the geometry’s surface.
- In the Connection Editor connect the OutColor (of the Ramp texture) to Color if False (of the Condition).
This assigns the Ramp to the inside surface of the geometry.
- Drag the SamplerInfo node onto the second condition node and connect second term with flipped normal
Now you have double sided shader
:)

verbal007
01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
It works. Thanks Ash-Man, that's exactly what I needed for my double sided leaf.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.