PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing a Non-Organic PolyModel


MarkInTx
05-26-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm having some difficulty reaching a semi-realism with a model I am working on. I am thinking there is probably an easy way of doing this. I have an idea of how to do it, but that is by throwing a lot of subdivisions into the model and then tweaking for hours.

In case there is an easy way... I thought I would ask the XSI experts.

OK... so the goal is to model this:

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/CabModel/goal.jpg

I have the truck model (or something that will work.) I want to add the cab. After playing around, I came up with this simple Polymesh:

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/CabModel/cab34.jpg


http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/CabModel/cabSide.jpg

Problem is, that when I throw that into the model and render, it looks very splotchy and unrealistic:

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/CabModel/truckfull.jpg

I tried just subdividing... but it doesn't make smooth lines, it just makes the splotches worse:

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/CabModel/cabSub.jpg

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/CabModel/subrendered.jpg

So... is there an easier way of going about this, than subrendering and tweaking until I get it right?

McNistor
05-27-2007, 03:08 AM
bevel the edges and connect the verts at the corners. in the bevel ppg you have rounding tab... use it. hit "+" un your numPad once or twice to increase smoothing. you also might check the GeomAprox ppg.
this is just one way of doing it. i'm sure others will give even better ideas.
good luck!

peace!

mocaw
05-27-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm not going to profess being an expert in such things...but nurbs come to mind. You can do this all with sub patches though...but still splines will help. Here is an example of using nurbs/spline patching in conjunction with subdivision surfaces done by a friend of mine with very good results.

http://www.geothefaust.com/

Check out the McLaren model and its wires- you can really get a good hybrid result with this- but it's basically nurbs patch modeling as I understand it.

On your model it looks like the base shape you started with is kind of in the right direction, but then you added some extra geometry and tweaked it. You divided it, but what does it look like if you use actual sub divisional surfaces? McNistor had it right in that you'll most likely also have to add some extra geometry along the edges and subdivide. Your either going to have to add more geometry in the right places and/or go into sub divisional surfaces to get the look you need.

Also- not to criticize you in anyway, but I find it remarkable that you could model a truck like that, yet have issues with the canopy. The truck model looks really good from a modeling stand point.

McNistor
05-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Also- not to criticize you in anyway, but I find it remarkable that you could model a truck like that, yet have issues with the canopy. The truck model looks really good from a modeling stand point.

i thought of that too
maybe he didn't model it but imported the geometry from somewhere
just maybe

MarkInTx
05-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Also- not to criticize you in anyway, but I find it remarkable that you could model a truck like that, yet have issues with the canopy. The truck model looks really good from a modeling stand point.

Oh, that's easy to explain... I said "I have a model" -- not that "I have the truck finished, and now am working on the cab..." Yes, I bought the truck. (Which is why it is a dodge, and the picture is a ford...) I bought it some time ago for something else, and wanted to reuse it now.
http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/CabModel/militarydodge.jpg

But, it was a military truck, with a 6' bed and a standard canvas cab. (And a 3D MAX model I had to convert...)

So, I got rid of the military canopy, and then extended it to give it an 8' bed. (Which, interestingly enough, I don't think Dodge even makes! I looked for references on their web site, and couldn't find an 8' bed. They seem to be into extended cabs, and 6' bed trucks...)

But, anyway, That's why the truck looks good, and the canopy sucks...

I did some subdividing and tweaking. It looks about 50% better now... but I'll go back and try what McNistor suggests. To start over now with Splines would be to spend a lot of time learning a whole new modelling method -- which I don't want to do just right now.

Anyway, here is where I am currently (In case, anyone cares) The way I got here was to subdivide twice, then use the Modify->Deform->smooth. I found that by playiing with some of the settings (especially the restrict to curvature and restrict to normal direction... as well as sometimes playing with a custom filter ) I was able to get rid of a lot of the splotchiness.

I would select the offending polys, then make a subtle smooth to it. This took about four passes, and in the end I still ended up tweaking some.

I have this now...

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/CabModel/subDCabTweakWires.jpg

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/CabModel/subDCabTweak.jpg

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/CabModel/SubDSide.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2007, 01:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.