PDA

View Full Version : New to computer Animation-Help PLease

Bigalpimp
05-26-2007, 05:46 AM
hey guys im new to the forum..also sorta new to computer animation. ive decided this is the thing i feel most comfortable doing and plan on going to college for it here in orlando at either full sail,Dave school,DEvry or ITT tech.

Now i have a few questions for some of you guys.

Which college of those listed would be best for me?(ive heard alot of negative stuff about full sail so im pretty set on not going there)

What should i be doing now to get my self prepared for college(Fall)? sketches? learning specific programs?

if so what programs should i be learning? i have anim8or and have played around with it a lil but it seems most are using 3dsmax or maya

ANY tips would be great guys i really love what ive seen on this site and see that you pros can definitly be able to help me.im really set my mind on this i just love computer animation and would love you guys to help a lil thanks!!!

also mods if this isnt in the right forum then im sorry

GoldenCamel
05-26-2007, 01:46 PM
the only good school in florida and one worth going to and spending your money is Ringling in Sarasota. the rest are just crap and you'll be better off buying some DVDs and books and study on your own

Bigalpimp
05-26-2007, 04:32 PM
the only good school in florida and one worth going to and spending your money is Ringling in Sarasota. the rest are just crap and you'll be better off buying some DVDs and books and study on your own

really? thanks...so CG companys (like movie studios and game studios) arent looking at degrees just talent? also could you or someone else point me in the right direction to get started? i feel like such a N00b but i just wanna make sure im doing the right stuff and heading into the right direction

Bigalpimp
05-26-2007, 04:50 PM
also what laptop should i get for animating and modeling and stuff? i have an emachine desktop now lol and it sucks so im wondering any particualer sites or models you guys can recomend? Mac or PC?

sorry to ask lots of questions!

Bigalpimp
05-26-2007, 04:53 PM

so companies are looking for more along the lines or demo reels and just skill rather than a degree? thanks...also can you or someone else point me in the direction of getting started? like with books and DVDs. And is the animation mentor any good? ive looked at there site and it seems cool thanks!

GoldenCamel
05-26-2007, 05:11 PM
as far as becoming an animator, animation mentor is your best choice. for DVDs look at www.gnomon3d.com (http://www.gnomon3d.com) . books are too many to list, just go to amazon and search for animation and you'll get a lot of "so you wanna be an animator" list that has all the books you need.

as for your hardware, you gonna need a fast cpu, p4 3Ghz or higher, 1.5 or 2GB ram, good graphic card, something like Nvidia Quadro fx 1000 and a good large hard drive.

when hiring, studios look at demo reels, but it never hurts to have a degree.

Bigalpimp
05-26-2007, 06:42 PM
as far as becoming an animator, animation mentor is your best choice. for DVDs look at www.gnomon3d.com (http://www.gnomon3d.com/) . books are too many to list, just go to amazon and search for animation and you'll get a lot of "so you wanna be an animator" list that has all the books you need.

as for your hardware, you gonna need a fast cpu, p4 3Ghz or higher, 1.5 or 2GB ram, good graphic card, something like Nvidia Quadro fx 1000 and a good large hard drive.

when hiring, studios look at demo reels, but it never hurts to have a degree.

thanks alot man...i just ordered The Animator's Survival Kit and ive been reading up on DVD's and online schools...im guessing i should scrap anim8or lol ill start learning the basics of maya

Bigalpimp
05-27-2007, 11:03 PM
A lil update: I applied at AM they sound like a very good school and have only heard good things. So hopefully I get accepted

Any other tips anyone?

SueHouston
05-28-2007, 02:35 AM
Congrats on applying to AM! I'm in class 3 right now and I'm loving it! It's such a wonderful environment and everyone is so excited to learn.
Good luck on your application!

Bigalpimp
05-29-2007, 04:25 AM
Congrats on applying to AM! I'm in class 3 right now and I'm loving it! It's such a wonderful environment and everyone is so excited to learn.
Good luck on your application!

thanks man....does anyone know how long it takes to know if you get accepted? also i havent gotten the wonderlic test yet...

tmcasper
05-29-2007, 04:49 AM
thanks man....does anyone know how long it takes to know if you get accepted? also i havent gotten the wonderlic test yet...

I got notified of my acceptance in about 2 weeks. Got my 'Pass' notification about 24 hours after I took the test. The link for the test came right after applying, or a couple hours later. Make sure you check your spam folder in your email. There has been some reports of AM.com email going through to spam. Good luck and maybe I'll see you in July!

-Tom

Bigalpimp
05-29-2007, 04:59 PM
I just got the email from the school for the test...ill take it once I get off work...but the bad thing is that a lady from admissions said that applications are taking a month to go through now :( so I'm gonna have a lenghty wait...sucks cuz I just wanna know if I'm in or not but this will give me more time to fool around in maya and make myself better

DigitalToon2
05-29-2007, 10:56 PM
I'll be finishing AM in four weeks and it's been awesome. I've learned so much and I've met some incredible people. If your looking for more information on AM check out this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=147156.

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2007, 10:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.