PDA

View Full Version : Combustion 5 anytime soon?

Reality3D
05-26-2007, 02:59 AM
Combustion 4 appeared more than 2 years ago.Anyone knows if a version 5 is expected, or they are putting all their efforts in Toxik to act as more expensive replacement?

Steve Green
05-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi,

no-one that knows is saying, and people that are saying don't know :)

The only comments I've seen were over on the Creative Cow combustion forum.

It was mainly speculation after Autodesk failed to show anything new at NAB. There was a post that there would be an announcement in a few months (from what I can recall), but it was all pretty vague.

- Steve

thatoneguy
05-28-2007, 12:27 AM
All we know is:

1) Toxic is not thought of by Autodesk as a replacement for combustion.
2) Combustion has not been abandoned and the team is still intact.

These two points were confirmed by an autodesk combustion employee.

Beyond that we know nothing.

Maybe they're rewriting the core... Maybe they're downporting a bunch of new inferno tools... Maybe they're planning on bug fixing and nothing more. We don't know.

I like to imagine that a two year hiatus means we're going to get something really cool and new. But I have my doubts.

dreggsy
05-28-2007, 03:13 AM
there's a new update out now,
so i guess that somebody is still working on it

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9241498

Aneks
05-28-2007, 04:58 AM
yeah was intersted to see this. seems that Autodesk has done a lot of little fixes in the intel Mac area of this ap. ABOUT TIME !

PiXeL_MoNKeY
05-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Steve, I was the one who made that post, based on what the product manager e-mailed me. I am guessing the announcement will come around Siggraph. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

-Eric

Steve Green
05-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah, sorry Eric - I couldn't remember who had made the post.

Here's hoping for some good news at Siggraph.

- Steve

PiXeL_MoNKeY
05-30-2007, 03:53 AM
No problem Steve, I know it wasn't intentional. Lets just hope for some great goodies when it is announced/released. I am happy to see that 4.0.5 fixed 2 bugs which I have been hounding them about (EXR Alphas and 44.1khz Audio Drift). That and the fact that I recently discovered alot of my rendering slow was caused by codecs and not Combustion it self.

-Eric

Reality3D
06-03-2007, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the answers.We'll have to wait with patience :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2007, 02:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.