PDA

View Full Version : soft shadows?

WChestnutt
03-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Hi,

How can i get soft shadows in my renders? as all the shadows are verry hard/sharp at the moment.

Thanks,

will

PHILL_JAMES2000
03-16-2003, 01:50 PM
try changing your ray traced shadows to shadow mapped shadows and turning the colour of the shadows from black to grey...well a softer colour anyway...thats what i do anyway :D

WChestnutt
03-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Hi,

What i mean is that the edges of the shadows are very sharp, it would look better it the edges were kind of blurred.

Thanks,

Will

terryford
03-16-2003, 02:07 PM
Either use Areal lights and size them accordingly (slow to render), or use shadow mapped spots with high shadow blur, or use spinning lights;

http://members.shaw.ca/phroggrafix/tutorials/spinning/spinning.html

which is well worth the extra effort it takes to set up, producing the realistic blur-increase-with-distance effect of area lights in much less time.

Regards,
Terry

WChestnutt
03-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Thanks!!:beer:

Will

roguenroll
03-16-2003, 05:02 PM
not sure about all lights, but for example on the spot light theres is a cone angle, ion the properties box. under it is another one, which fades over a distance. that might be worth a look.

r

Arte
03-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by PHILL_JAMES2000
try changing your ray traced shadows to shadow mapped shadows and turning the colour of the shadows from black to grey...well a softer colour anyway...thats what i do anyway :D

Phil and Unknown you do know Shadow maps have an option to set the fuzziness on bluriness right? On the shadows tab under light properties. Sorry if this is a bit basic:)

That will give you instant soft edges and look amazing but can be very memory intensive.

If you want an Area light which is far more realistic, to achieve true soft shadows you have to size up the Area light, the larger the softer, the smaller the harder...

Another very nice trick is to use a render you have made with LW saved as 24 bit with various colour tones as a backdrop image and switch on background radiosity. That looks the best, imo it renders better than most HDRI sets!

Or as mentioned, you can use Eki's plug pak and generate awesome shadows.

Eki's plug/mod pak is fantastic, I'm about to order it myself.

X

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.