PDA

View Full Version : Animating with Max or Maya- whats the difference?

Munumunup
05-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey all,

I would be interested to get your insight on this. When it comes to animation, what's the difference between 3ds Max or Maya? Specifically, what features does each software package have that are useful for animating? Are there any features that you absolutely swear by, and you couldn't live without, when animating?

I'm particularly interested in chararacter animation, but feed back about any facet of animation would be cool.

Cheers

GoldenCamel
05-25-2007, 11:30 AM
yeah, very good and inteligent question. whats the difference between a blue pencil and a red pencil for drawing?

the answer to both questions would be the same

Slugger
05-25-2007, 06:41 PM
I'd say maya is the better choice of the two for char anim(especially I miss Maya's curve editor when using Max). Iv'e used both, biped has some autogearbox stuff, nothing that I'd miss really if I would choose btw the two. Maya has a steeper learning curve. Xsi is from what I've heard from past anim workmates the "best" package for char anim(and those saying so have done char anim in all three packages), havent so much time to play with it myself but that would be worth checking out

Cheers,

K.

Munumunup
05-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your replies , Slugger and GoldenCamel.

You say that Maya is better than Max for character animation. If I may press the point again- in what ways? You mentioned the curve editor as being easier to use...any other parts of the Maya program that spring to mind as being better than Max?

Cheers fellas

Gräck
05-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your replies , Slugger and GoldenCamel.

You say that Maya is better than Max for character animation. If I may press the point again- in what ways? You mentioned the curve editor as being easier to use...any other parts of the Maya program that spring to mind as being better than Max?

Cheers fellas
The curve editor in Maya has a better performance, in Max your framerate is often going down when you have the curve editor open at the same time. So when animating in Max, it is often a good idea to toggle the curve editor.

Max has become very powerful in character animation in the past. Animation Layering was improved, new IK solutions were added and the Reaction Manager is very powerful, too. I would say you can do anything in both packages.

If you are looking for an additional plugin for character rigging and animation, you will find more choices for Max. CS, CAT, Puppetshop and Automatron are three completely different plugins that can boost your animation workflow significantly (personally I would strongly suggest to check out CAT, as it is the one with the most complete toolset for character animation).

Max also has a very powerful skinning system (Skin Modifier, Skin Wrap, Skin Morph and additional plugins like SkinFX or CATMuscle).

Slugger
05-28-2007, 05:52 PM
hard to point out exactly why I think maya works better for me char anim wise(it's could be how the app behaves, damping when moving keys/handles for ex, did have a look at old softimage 3D very long time ago, it really had a good feel to it when moving things around), but I think it has to do with that I use the curve editor much more in maya than max(I hate max's curve editor...condemn it even), especially biped system has used TCB controller for ease in/out in the past(I think that has changed so one can use euler xyz for bips now aswell wich is good) and TCB sucks a bit for char anim. Simply put if your timing(char anim wise) is good, anticipations good, follow troughs good, simply check your curves, if they look fine your animation is fine(it's not as simple as that, but to make a long story short...)

just my 2 cents

cheers,

k.

gilley
05-28-2007, 11:17 PM
and TCB sucks a bit for char anim. Simply put if your timing(char anim wise) is good, anticipations good, follow troughs good, simply check your curves, if they look fine your animation is fine(it's not as simple as that, but to make a long story short...)

just my 2 cents

cheers,

k.

For me, I think TCB/quaternion is fine for character animation. It's Euler that sucks for character animation IMHO. Having to deal with Euler wobbles and the gimbal problems all the time just makes it not worth the time of using Euler. If my timing's good, anticipations good, follow throughs are good, then I don't ever have to check any anim curves when using quaternion. It's just one less step I have to deal with.

Slugger
05-29-2007, 07:29 PM
you got a point there, gimbal lockups is at times really painful to deal with when using euler, but they can be avoided, one has to set it up proper, ie how the xyz axes are evaluated, then one can avoid most but not all gimabl problems

cheers,

K.

coop
05-30-2007, 02:14 AM
really, whatever tool you get most familiar with is best.

my take on it
max. easier to learn more aspects of the program quickly. fewer resources/tutorials/rigs to download. Not used as much in studios except for set building. Less stable, slower than maya. you need to be a pretty high level tech problem solver to go under the hood.

maya.
a bajillion scripts to download use. downside is you need a lot of them. upside is that any problem you run into, someone has probably solved. easier to be a mid level tech problem solver. faster to use the graph editor. Tons of resources to master the program.

in the end, anything can be a good tool. i can't stand the constant crashing i've experienced in max, though it may have improved since i last used it.

tyree
05-30-2007, 08:08 PM
I suggest if you havent already download the trials of both programs and see for yourself, I personally prefer max with the cat plugin. here is something realtime from max using the cat plugin, took no time to rig and animate. shockwave, should auto install http://www.bleed3d.com/wing%20skip.htm which ever program you choose, youll most likely find can fill your needs. but max is a beast, because there are so many different ways to animate whatever it is you animating. I first started using max with version 3 it took me a year to actually grasp all that I could do with it. and learn how all the different menus where connected.

Munumunup
06-02-2007, 04:31 AM
thanks for all your input guys. :) As you say the best way is to try out the different programs and I will be doing that. Looking forward to using Maya, should be fun.

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2007, 04:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.