PDA

View Full Version : Hmc 9 : Atst

octopus7
05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Hi all, i'm just saving a place as i'll be starting work on my project this weekend. What i'm doing is based on an incident that happened here in Melbourne yesterday. When a guy on his way to a star wars photo shoot for a free newspaper. Got arrested by the cops because he had a replica blastech stormtrooper rifle (lucky bastard for having the replica. not for getting arrested!) I thought of a nice gritty dirt graffitied alleyway in the city with an unexpected visitor. An ATST scout walker or a smaller personal transport version. not sure what they are called as i'll have to look in my star wars fact files. Will be using 3D max, Photoshop and rendering with V-ray.

Stay tuned for more

michaelshippy
05-25-2007, 03:34 AM
This is an excellent idea - I look forward to seeing it fleshed out in the next few weeks.

FYI, the AT-RT is the smaller cousin to the AT-ST, and is a single-trooper walker. This might be what you were referring to in your post. It was seen primarily during the Battle of Kashyyyk in Episode III.

octopus7
05-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Here's today's work so far. Only started on the head of the AT-ST. this took about 3.5 hours
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP002.jpg
And a wireframe
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/wire001-1.jpg

psebesta
05-26-2007, 04:15 PM
looks great so far nice detail good luck

octopus7
05-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Today I managed to get in about 5 hours worth of modelling (never realised just how tricky an AT-ST really is!) I did the reactor cooling fans and radiators on the back of the cockpit module. was rather hard to do as most of the reference stuff i have doesn't have the back view. Had to use a photo of a scale model and base it on that instead. Also added rear-side armour plating and extended the nose area were the twin blaster cannons are situated.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP003.jpg

I also started work on the two side turrets for the blasters and concussion grenade launcher. The blasters are going to be a pain as I can't find any really good close up shots of them.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP004.jpg

octopus7
05-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Just spent a couple of hours being frustrated trying to model the side mounted weapons of the AT-ST. The concussion laucher was easy, but the blasters were another matter as i had a mongrel of a time finding any good refs for it. Ended up working off a pic from the Star Wars fact files that I have.

View of the concussion grenade launcher and mounting, which started as a spline and then collpased to an editable poly.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP005.jpg
Here's a pic of the side mounted blaster. I only have the chin mounted blasters to go and then it will be onto the drive train and hip area of the walker.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP006.jpg

simjoy
05-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Cant help with any blaster pics, but it's looking pretty good so far ...

Keep it up ..

PKT
05-31-2007, 11:31 PM
This is really looking good man. Keep thouse updates coming.

Athidi
05-31-2007, 11:34 PM
I love the details man. keep it up :)

monotoon
06-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Cool model man! I modeled one AT-ST 2-3 years ago but my harddisk died and now itīs gonne forever.

Good Luck!

octopus7
06-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks a ton for the support everyone:thumbsup: The AT-ST is certainly pushing my modelling skills, definetely the hardest thing I have attempted so far. Sorry for not posting an update over the weekend but I had the unthinkable happen! Windows XP decided to die (lucklily all my MAX stuff is on another HDD partition!) and I had to re-install it along with everything else. Just glad I make backups of my stuff.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP007.jpg

As you can see I have modelled the chin mounted blaster and now I have also modelled the drive train and and the main hip joint area, hoping to post some more pics tonight. Also have completely finished the head of the walker. Not sure how I'm going to texture this at the moment. May use quickdirt etc as UV-unwrapping something like this gives me the shivers. And seeing i'm still learning it'd take me ages to do.

monotoon
06-03-2007, 11:22 PM
As i said! Modeling an AT-ST seems to destroy something........

Good Luck, you need it! ;)

PKT
06-05-2007, 12:21 PM
This is very cool, I'm looking forward to see how the legs are going to turn out.

shahabp
06-05-2007, 07:55 PM
wow,
this is getting cool.

Projectkmo
06-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Looking real good man! Keep it up.

Will it be getting smashed by trees?

octopus7
06-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys:thumbsup:

ProjectKMO: My AT-ST is going to be residing in a dirty gritty alleyway. I wanted to bring something from Star Wars into our world. Just for something totally different!

I will definetly post some more pics tonight of my progress. I'm hoping to have the model fleshed out within the next week. Then I can concentrate on doing the scene, also the model will not be rigged as I wouldn't have a clue how to do it:sad: SO I will have to build it as it will be posed.
Anyway thanks for the support!

octopus7
06-06-2007, 10:06 AM
As promised an update showing the drive-train section and the start of the hip area. This has been a real challenge and I had to use a bit of "artistic-license" as refs were extremely hard to find of this area of the walker.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP008.jpg
Also modelled the pivot between the head and body of the AT-ST
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP009.jpg
I have already started doing the legs and will post some more when they start to look decent!

octopus7
06-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Here's another update on the progress of the AT-ST. I have completed the main hip area and am now starting on the actual legs themselves.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP012.jpg
I will be making the legs in modular sections so I can either learn how to rig them or manipulate them by altering the pivot point.

Projectkmo
06-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Look awesome!

Are you using a model for ref? I ask because looking at what you have so far is bring back a lot of memories as a kid making my own SW movies and modding some models to have articulate legs/parts etc..and them blowing them up.

anywho...looks great!

darklopium83
06-09-2007, 04:08 PM
looking good, i like!
wainting for see it textured!

Boone
06-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Looking very good. You're nearly there so keep at it.

octopus7
06-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks a ton guys:thumbsup: this is definetly the best thing I have ever modelled!

ProjectKMO: I haven't got a model though I have been working off some pics of a scale model from both the net and in my Star Wars fact files.
Boone : I intend to finish this! I only have a couple of models I never finished. Mainly because I hadn't learnt enough to finish them or that they were just plain crap.

Here's another pic of the leg assembly with the head as well so i could see what it looks like all put together. Only one leg done so far as I will be cloning each piece and by using pivot points will pose the legs so it looks like it's taking a step.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP014.jpg
I love the effect of the AO pass so will definetly use one in the final image.

Whyst
06-10-2007, 06:51 PM
wow the model's lookin great =) and yes I agree after I discovered the occlussion pass, that's how I render all my models :D

octopus7
06-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Well the walker model is finished. and I may have to rethink my initial entry idea (walker in alleyway) as even with 1gb of ram my computer is slowing down when all the model is displayed. So eventually (when I get more ram) I'll do the full scene as intended.
I will most likely texture this model and display it suitably for the challenge as I have a few ideas.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP015.jpg
A posed pic
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP017.jpg

PKT
06-11-2007, 09:20 AM
oh man! this is looking great!
Are you going to put it into a scene or something?

E_Moelzer
06-11-2007, 09:45 AM
This is looking really great!
I might be wrong, but I think that the "feet" are a little small though...
CU
Elmar

octopus7
06-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback:bounce:

The feet are scaled from a side view blueprint and according to the blueprint are correct but I will check it out to make sure. This AT-ST is actually the version that saw action at the battle of Hoth, as it has the longer legs (longer ankle struts) than the standard forest version seen in the battle of Endor.
I'm thinking of making a scene of it in the snow walking past a knocked out rebel laser turret. As long as the scene doesn't kill my computer I should be right. I will also do some orthogonal clay renders as well.

Yav
06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Excellent stuff, man. If by any obscene chance you finish a week early, could you model the wheel-bike for my General ;) I won't tell anyone it was you. Money is not an issue, pick your price (try not to go over 50 bucks, please)

Whyst
06-15-2007, 10:32 AM
very cool can't wait to see this put in a scene :thumbsup: as for the render, maybe you can just render them in separate passes and then comp it all together?

Boone
06-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Good model, but the feet are definitely wrong. Certainly in size if nothing else...have a look at ROTJ movie to double check. It would be a shame to cut corners at the final stretch mate...:)

RedRepublik
06-15-2007, 06:52 PM
awesome work!

octopus7
06-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks again guys and Boone, I will be checking the feet properly because after having a good look they are too small and I need to scale them up a bit. Which I have now done!
I have deceided to hell with it and am doing my original scene idea. Even if I don't get around to texturing it (which i'm hoping I will!) it's a modelling challenge anyway. Here's what i've come up with so far.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP018.jpg
It's only rough at the moment but I reckon it will work out ok.

WyattHarris
06-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Bend those legs! Looks like a stork from the front. :D

Just kidding, awesome work bro. You look to be the front runner so far.

octopus7
06-16-2007, 05:20 AM
Yeah it certainly needs to bend it's legs. Poor thing will get a cramp :D I imagine an AT-ST would be a bit of a rough ride!
Anyway another update as i've finally sussed out Vray sun for the lighting that I wanted. The buildings will be getting a bit more detail as well as the structures I still have yet to do for the left side of the alley. Very happy at how this is going.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST001_WIP019.jpg
Note: the feet are now fixed up.

Airflow
06-16-2007, 05:37 AM
I like it, but I think your better off using a hdri map, also if you did endor it would be real cool, epecially the traps...

Yav
06-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Oh, man, I can visualise the finished scene so well. I'm imagining the atmosphere a bit like Half-Life 2...futuristic streets with telephone cables and peeling paint of the building walls, roof tiles faling over, not a living soul around. This is where I have to mention that the Art Director for HL2 was a fellow Bulgarian and much of the atmosphere in the game is derived from the city I was born in....Sofia :)

octopus7
06-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Yav, Thanks for the idea it helped immensely! As I was wondering about what to put on the left hand side of the alley. And the minute you mentioned Half Life 2 (one of my favourite games) I instantly thought about the huge protective walls around the citadel. So I guess you could say this is Star Wars meets Half Life:D So now I only have to UV-unwrap the buildings :banghead: Which I can hardly wait to do! and texture my walker.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/AT-ST_Clayrender.jpg
I wonder who would win if an AT-ST and a strider duked it out?

KevinFlynn
06-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Dude, your work is sick! Very nice! Seeing your work develop is a great inspiration.

Love it man.

Yav
06-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Glad I could've helped, mate :) I don't know why, but looking at the picture now, I'm thinking that maybe you could extend the wall behind the ATST, creating something like a long and desolate alley. When you're setting up your final render, you could adjust your camera to have a shallow depth of field and that way, you'd have the robot in focus and the dissaperaing alley in the background blurred. There's also a ton of things you could do with lighting and mood...this scene is happening definately early in the morning or better yet, rainy and cloudy late afternoon.

To be honest, it is looking good as it is at the moment as well. The ATST feels kinda lost and out of place and I really like this. There's a sense of claustrophobia, which is good as well :)

octopus7
06-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Once again thank you for the positive words everyone:)
Back again with another update as I have started to throw myself into UV unwrapping the buildings, signs, sections of the AT-ST (not done that yet!). Some of the textures are made in quickdirt, but the building on the right hand side's textures. Were all hand drawn in Photoshop and have spec and bump maps.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST00_textureTest002.jpg
I have also named one of the businesses with my user name, mainly cause I got sick of trying to think of a name!

sapienz
06-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Pardon me for saying this. imho...
That AT-ST looks cramped up in that composition. Theres 1 too many things in the scene that steals the attention away from it.

Since the AT-ST is such a tall walker, why don't you try a looking up camera and capture a better perspective?
Its feets are abit thin, if you look up from the bottom, it should look more menancing than it looks now.

octopus7
06-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks!
I actually have rigged up another Vray camera at a lower level that gives the scene a lot more depth. I'll do a render and see what it's like. Using a lower angle I will actually be able to put in part of the citadel tower (from HL2) to go behind the citadel wall.

darklopium83
06-21-2007, 02:23 PM
i like your composition, great details and great mod.,can't wait to see it textured with snow and a with a good lightning...

Whyst
06-21-2007, 06:12 PM
wow your environment is looking awesome! I like how the sign on the left there says Octopus :thumbsup:

octopus7
06-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Thanks again guys:thumbsup:

I will hopefully post an update tonight as I have taken Sapienz suggestion and altered the camera angle to show the size and menace that an AT-ST would appear to a normal person.
I have frustratingly been trying to learn how to use Mudbox in the short time I have left. As I wanted to roughen up the surface of the street. But instead I think I will opt for making a displacement map and using that instead. Mainly because the street isn't seen that much with the lower camera angle, and all the mudbox tutorials I could find were video tutorials which kinda suck when you only have dial up 56K still:eek:

Yav
06-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been struggling with Zbrush, as I haven't used it in ages and have forgotten it quite alot.

So....56k, eh? Well...I am truly lost for words. I thought I had it bad with 512k. You have given me a new reason to appreciate my internet service provider, who I usually hate and often verbally abuse on the phone. For that I thank you.

octopus7
06-23-2007, 12:07 AM
hey Yav see you haven't got it that bad after all mate! Mainly due to an old bill that i'm slowly paying off. The phone co. won't let me connect to broadband until I have the old bill paid off. Now if only some nice person gave me a nice job in CG:deal: Then I could have broadband quicker!
Anyway an update on the camera angle with some DOF added. The sky is black but it won't be staying that way as I will be compositing the sky in, using Photoshop when the main image is finished. My next update will show more stuff textured and the citadel tower.
This render with DOF on took about 50 minutes.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST00_textureTest003.jpg
I will most likely close the viewport shutters on the AT-ST as it's gonna look crap if I just paint the viewports black. I never stopped to think of that when I built the model.

RedRepublik
06-23-2007, 12:38 AM
wow this is really coming along. something about the legs looks weird to me. maybe they need to bow out a little? they look so ridgid compared to the way they look in the movie

Yav
06-23-2007, 03:13 AM
It's coming along really, really well. Much, much better camera angle. I took the liberty to suggest a thing or two in terms of composition.

I really think you should try and obey the "rule of thirds", which would mean that in your case, the main subject should NOT be in the centre of the composition. I also think you should change the proportions of your render frame to a something more of a portrait view. Here's an example of what I mean:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb137/yavbonev/example1.jpg

As you see in the above example, the ATST's head is somewhat in the centre, but the legs lean towards the right side of the frame, creating a nice balance. Stretching the frame, would mean you could also show the legs, as I think they are pretty vital for the final image. The problem with this composition is that you would lose some parts of your scene, but I think you could fix that by zooming out a bit to show the wall on the right side, possibly capturing the ground as well. Hope this helps :)

phix314
06-23-2007, 03:23 AM
As i said! Modeling an AT-ST seems to destroy something........

Haha yea I was just about to say... maybe modeling this beast isn't windows friendly. What a curse.

Even though this thing is pushing your skills it looks like you are keeping up with it!

simjoy
06-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Really good work ..

I would agree with Yav though. Pull the camera back slightly to show the feet, and cut a chunk off the left of the scene. As the AT-ST is the focal point the buildings to the left are unimportant. The camera angle and the buildings you have left will convey the scale of the vehicle ..

A dark, rainy alley would be cool, but hard work to pull off ......

octopus7
06-24-2007, 12:25 AM
I'd be lost without you guys:)
The advice that you have all given me has proven to be invaluable and I would most likely not have this scene up to the stage it's at now, without the feedback and suggestions.

Yav : thanks for going to the trouble of putting together an example of composition for me. And I will be fixing up the camera to a more suitable view and will experiment with different image sizes as well.

Phix314: This has definetly been a test of my skills and it has improved my poly modelling a tonne. Not to mention I may have gotten over my fear of UV unwrap as well!

Simjoy: thanks mate! I'd love to do a dark rainy view but I wouldn't have a clue how to go about it. Maybe I can experiment with it after the challenge is over.

Fess
06-24-2007, 06:26 AM
J, the model looks wonderful, love the detail!

It's coming along really, really well. Much, much better camera angle. I took the liberty to suggest a thing or two in terms of composition.

I really think you should try and obey the "rule of thirds", which would mean that in your case, the main subject should NOT be in the centre of the composition. I also think you should change the proportions of your render frame to a something more of a portrait view. Here's an example of what I mean:

Yav, that's a interesting point you make. I was reading about the rule of thirds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds) in one of my photography books & I see how it can be applicable in the above image, kinda gives me a better understanding of the rule as well....

Fess

octopus7
06-24-2007, 10:31 AM
After taking Yav's guide to the rule of thirds into consideration I came up with this. And have to admit that it looks 100% better than what I was going to do before. This image also features an occlusion pass (to bring out AT-ST details) and was put together in photoshop. Also have more stuff textured as well.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST00_textureTest004.jpg

Boone
06-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Now that is looking really nice. Always good to see a finished scene:thumbsup:

PKT
06-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Haha, this is really cool. This is going to be a strong entry.

Yav
06-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Excellent stuff. I really like the angle of the shadow. I still think you should extend the frame verticaly, to show more of the sky and the ground, in order to let your ATST "breathe" a little :) If you could texture the ground as wet asphalt with random rain puddles, showing a reflection of your ATST, the scene would REALLY come to live :)

P.S.

"They live, we sleep" - Which vampire movie is that quote from? It sounds so familliar.

cosmonaut
06-24-2007, 07:15 PM
"They live, we sleep" - Which vampire movie is that quote from? It sounds so familliar.

Heh, nice reference to John Carpenter's They Live, starring the amazing Rowdy Roddy' Piper. Great looking scene...

RobinAlexander
06-24-2007, 08:31 PM
looks good, tho a bit miniature like, dont know why, maybe because of the softness of the scene.

and "They Live" has one of the best fight scene.. mano a mano.

octopus7
06-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Hi all

I write this in a really peeved off mood:eek: But I don't know if I will be able to get this scene finished on time now. You see last night one of my hard drives (the one that has all my textures & UV unwrap maps) decided to give up the ghost. Tonight I will try and recover what I can off it and most likely reinstall everything. Thank god MAX was installed on another drive so at least my scene file should be ok. Gonna get myself a USB drive and back up everything so this never happens again. Anyway I will know tonight how bad the drive is corrupted.

Hoping I can finish this as it's my best work I have ever done.

Boone
06-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Well, Oct, your picture is actually now at a finished state. And one you can most certainly be proud of. If you can just whack out the wireframes that are required it will be a finished entry atleast.

From me at least: Thats a good effort mate.:thumbsup:

octopus7
06-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks Boone!

there are still a couple of untextured things in the pic, one building, windows and the dumpster but If I can't recover anything I will enter it as a final. Anyway I will know tonight what can be recovered and what can't.

cheers and thanks for the support mate!

KevinFlynn
06-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah Brother! Your post was exceptional! Sorry to hear about the HD crash. I know how bad that can be. Hope you get it fixed! or at least recover what you want

Firerbert
06-27-2007, 02:48 AM
That totally sux man! I feel your pain! I agree, your scene looks good and feels like it could be used for a final entry. Hope you get that HD working because it would be awesome to see how far you can take this thing! BTW, is that the HL2 Citadel in the background?!?

Yav
06-27-2007, 03:20 AM
Absolutely awful timing. I really hope you can recover everything. A year ago, someone broke into my appartment while I was out drinking and stole my laptop along with my Casio Exhilim Digital camera and my Canon SLR. Literally, two days before this happened, I had a weird feiling and decided to back everything up on the server at work. I had something like 8 gigs of memories ranging from trips around the world to let's just say some more explicit stuff, involving loads of vodka, Latin music and some random girls :P Anyway, what I'm trying to say is...BACKUP everything on DVD, place the discs in a metal box and bury it in your garden. It's literally, the only way to be safe :)

John-S
06-27-2007, 06:22 AM
or online storage : )
(for the smaller, important files)

Great Job on this though! Hope to see it finished...

octopus7
06-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Well some good news:) I got home from work last night and switched on my computer and it started ok. A few files were corrupted on the hard drive. But I only lost one texture map (the building on the right hand side) which I will be re-doing. So I quickly filled up about 6 DVD's with all my important downloads. textures, mp3's etc and now will be keeping a USB drive closeby for making constant backups of my scene texture maps and MAX files. Once again thanks for the positive support and take heed. If you don't want to be pulling your hair out, yelling and screaming at your computer then don't model an AT-ST, they are just evil:twisted:

Firebert : Yep that's the citadel in the background. Yav gave me the idea for it.

octopus7
06-30-2007, 02:38 AM
After the dramas I have gone through to get this rotten thing done. I have finally reached a stage where I can say that I have just about got it finished! Over the last few days I have made maps for the road and all the other buildings. I am still contemplating putting in some blown about bits of newspaper, smaller rubbish bins or plastic garbage bags..I'll see how I go. I'm very happy with this pic.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST00_textureTest005.jpg

Airflow
06-30-2007, 03:01 AM
Its come a long way, Nice to see you have color corrected it.
No crits, exept the back orange grid thing could do with some rust streaks...
Great stuff.

KevinFlynn
06-30-2007, 04:22 AM
Dude,

First let me say I wish I had something like this I couild call mine. Looks Fan-friggin-tasic! I've been following your posts and loving it. I do have one crit. It looks like everything in the scene has texture to it but the AT-ST. I don't know if that was the way you wanted it or if you're going to texture it.

Great, and I mean GREAT job!!!

octopus7
06-30-2007, 07:05 AM
KevinFlynn: Thanks a tonne mate:applause: Glad you like my work. Regarding the AT-ST it's the way I want it, though it does feature very subtle texturing that was done using the Quickdirt plugin. As well as an ambient Occlusion pass to bring out the detail. Mainly I wanted the AT-ST to look really clean and efficent (like most things that the empire has) and the enviroment
to be filthy, grotty and graffitied.

Airflow: I took your advice and rusted and dirtied up the rear wall grid..thanks for the help.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/AT-STfinalsml000.jpg
Also added some bin bags and a scrap of wayward paper. Here's some wire frames I made up, will do some viewport captures for my entry though.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/wiremesh.jpg
One question, can we submit our finished works to the CGtalk gallery once they are finished?

Yav
07-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Brilliant stuff, mate :)

I don't see what the problem with posting in CG Gallery would be. It's your work and you can post it wherever you want.

RobertoOrtiz
07-03-2007, 03:49 AM
Brilliant stuff, mate :)

I don't see what the problem with posting in CG Gallery would be. It's your work and you can post it wherever you want.

What he said..
:)

-R

octopus7
07-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Well My work is now at a finished stage that I am happy with. I will also be posting this in my portfolio and submitting it to the CGtalk gallery. I have really enjoyed this challenge and seeing the great work from everyone else here. Thanks for the support as well as the many hints and tips, Big thanks to Yav, Airflow, Sapienz, Boone and anyone else that gave me advice.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/ATST_final.jpg
(http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g16/tigertank88/?action=view&current=ATST_final.jpg)

Theerapol
07-07-2007, 02:32 AM
really nice rendering and modeling detail. great work!

KevinFlynn
07-07-2007, 03:26 AM
Looks awesome man! Very Inspiring! Can't say enough, I really liked this design from the first time I saw it in Empire, for about 2.3 seconds, and you did a great job of modeling. I love the environment, great idea.

You get my vote, I'm still new, do we vote?

octopus7
07-07-2007, 06:20 AM
Looks awesome man! Very Inspiring! Can't say enough, I really liked this design from the first time I saw it in Empire, for about 2.3 seconds, and you did a great job of modeling. I love the environment, great idea.

You get my vote, I'm still new, do we vote?

Thanks mate! that means a lot to me, When I first started doing 3D graphics earlier this year (though I had used GMAX and truespace earlier) I never would have thought I could've made a work like the one I have donefor this challenge. I am actually getting brave and starting to have a go at character / organic modelling so i'm looking forward to see how my work improves in the next 6 months.

Yav
07-07-2007, 07:02 AM
Yeah, your work is really awsome and I can't believe you've been doing this only for a year. I started with truespace myself. I was about 12, when I saw it as a free demo on a Computer magazine and as they say the rest is history :) To be honest, these challenges are SUCH a good way to make you work well. Literally, before starting the General, I had NO idea how I was gonna pull it off. In the past month, I have learned things, that I barely at all explored in my three year course at uni. It's all about the motivation :)

rustyboi
07-11-2007, 10:41 AM
great entry and good luck in your career

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2007, 10:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.