PDA

View Full Version : exporting patch model to 3ds max

Sangit
03-16-2003, 09:34 AM
is there any way to export an A:M patch model to Max Editable Patch ? without converting into faces and polygons etc.

mhovland
03-16-2003, 02:57 PM
You're either going to have to write your own importer using MaxScript (I started this, but it was more work than I thought. I had it to a point where I could read in a single spline from an MDL file, and redraw it in MAX.)

You can wait for DeepExploration to support the A:M file format. (A couple of programmers are working on this).

Or you can look into ghost3d http://www.ghost3d.com. Look at the pages on ResErect. A:M import for Max.

itsjustme
03-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Maybe I'm not the ideal person to answer this since I don't know squat about Max...I'm also not sure if I understand you completely, but, maybe this will help. I recently converted a few models to 3DS format, here's what I ended up having to do (I'm using AM 9.51e and 3DMax3.1).

First, make sure all of your normals on your model are facing the correct way. I wasn't sure if five point patches and hooks would translate well, so I avoided them.

I saved parts of the models out as individual models (all of the windows of the building would be a model, all of the bricks another model, etc) so that I didn't have to group them in 3DMax for applying textures...they would already be grouped.

Then I exported them out of Animation Master using the 3DS exporter. When I tried to import these exported models into Max, I got errors saying that Max didn't recognize the format.

Through experimentation I found that I could import the 3DS files I had exported from AM into Anim8or (http://www.anim8or.com) then export them out of that program as a 3DS file. If I'm understanding you correctly, you may want to convert your model to spline before exporting it. You can convert it to spline, mesh or SubD by selecting the object in Anim8or, selecting "Build" then the one you want to convert it to before exporting.

You should now be able to import the 3DS files without a hitch. I imported each part of a model, merging them into the same scene (each piece being recognized as a group) and saved the model.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.