PDA

View Full Version : nCloth Help!!

jackpheah
05-24-2007, 07:43 AM
So I'm trying out nCloth and it seems no matter what I do I cant make the cloth stay colliding with anything. I make a poly plane into an nCloth object, then make a cube into a passive object but when I simulate, the cloth passes right through. It deforms as if being affected by the cube, but continues right through. And i make sure they have the same solver. Also, the simulations are REALLY slow! I have an intel quad core extreme, 4 GB ram, and an nvidia quadro fx4500 in my computer, and yet when I do a simple simulation with just a plane and a cube, it just LAGS big time. And doing the interactive playback is out of the question. HELP!!

Duncan
05-24-2007, 09:12 PM
First off.. change your font color. (I have to highlight the text to read it)

A default plane falling on a cube should be fast and interactive( and should not fall through)
What is the resolution of your plane? (10x10?)
For very high resolution you may need to increase the substeps and also the stretch resistance. Also set solver display to self collide thickness to make sure it is not really large for some reason ( this can be very slow ). As a rule of thumb the collision thickness should significantly less than the triangle size.

One other thing to check is that the normals on your cube face outwards. (the trapped check attribute, which is on by default for passive objects, uses the normal)

Duncan

jackpheah
05-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks Duncan,
Yeah, sorry about the font color, that was unintentional. Those are all great pointers. I think it may also be a hardware issue as well, which I'm looking into. I'll keep working on it.
kind regards,
-Jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2007, 10:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.