PDA

View Full Version : Animating with max or Maya- whats the difference?

Munumunup
05-24-2007, 01:46 AM
Hey all,

I would be interested to get your insight on this. When it comes to animation, what's the difference between 3ds Max or Maya? Specifically, what features does each software package have that are useful (or downright essential) for animating? Are there any features that you absolutely swear by, and you couldn't live without, when animating?

I'm particularly interested in chararacter animation, but feed back about any facet of animation would be cool.

Cheers

DeusEx
05-24-2007, 06:52 PM
I would like to know as well. So I guess a bump is in order.:thumbsup:

ankheilw
06-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Hey guys,

I would probably try and move this out of the Animation Session Forum, but no-biggie.

As with all software packages, there are technical differences in the way that programs handle or package the animation features. Although both Max and Maya work the same way (Timeline, Curve Editor, Dope Sheet), there are subtle differences between how you set keys, how you handle the animation curves, and how you can transfer animation. There are also plug-ins and additional animation tools such as Biped and MotionBuilder which are becoming more integrated into the programs as revisions come out.

Either program you choose will work for animation, but you may be more comfortable with one or the other. For me it's Maya. Maya is awesome for character animation, and has flexible, easy to use tools that I found intuitive. But, everyone is different.

I would, above all else, make sure you are very familiar and vested in the Principles of Animation. Whether 2D, 3D, Flash, heck and bouncing ball, the principles of animation are going to be what sets yout animation bar, and they will keep you PUSHING the programs to become better and more robust. No automation or toolkit will bring life to a character like an emboldened animator who knows his/her craft.

Oh yeah and get someone who is, or become very familiar with Rigging. A good rig is one of the keys to a successful character.

Good Luck

Woodman

DeusEx
06-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Looks like I'm forced into Maya. I'm going to SCAD, lol. Thanks for the reply anyway, Woodman.

Munumunup
06-02-2007, 05:36 AM
I would probably try and move this out of the Animation Session Forum, but no-biggie

Hey,
yeah my bad. I don't know how you can move threads but I did resart this one in the "General Techniques, Animation" forum. more replies there........

MN3M
06-17-2007, 12:33 AM
it is all gray software :argh:

Romanthony
06-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Either program you choose will work for animation, but you may be more comfortable with one or the other. For me it's Maya. Maya is awesome for character animation, and has flexible, easy to use tools that I found intuitive. But, everyone is different.

I'd be interested in knowing if one program is harder to use concerning animation tools than the other. I'm leaning towards getting 3ds Max because I prefer the renders, but sometimes I feel like not choosing Maya would be a mistake, because I'm into character animation.

Frotze
06-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Both packages got fairly the same tools and I can't say they are really harder to use in one or the other. I'd say go for the one you already feel more confortable with. You'll have plenty of time later to learn Maya if you want. It's not a big deal anyway, once you know 3ds Max.

Romanthony
06-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks. I'm already pretty comfortable with 3ds Max now, so I'm going with it then.

sandeeprtk
06-19-2007, 09:48 PM
agree with ankheilw. I use Maya b'coz i pretty familier with this software. For animation i don't think that software matter more. There is nothing that u can do in maya and can't in max or viceversa. These sofware provides us tool to make our job easier. People use the software with whome they are familier. Both software containing Tools and it is up to u which tools are helpful to u then others....
"At learning time told to me that your out-put matter. Doesn't matter wheather u r using Max or Maya. "

thumbs up :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2007, 09:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.