PDA

View Full Version : Outpost - VFX Challenge - Antilles

Antilles
03-16-2003, 05:23 AM
original

http://ali.cgcommunity.com/cgtalk1.jpg

ANIMATION HERE (http://ali.cgcommunity.com/final_small2.mov)

LARGE PICTURE
http://ali.cgcommunity.com/final_big.jpg

Mangled Poly
03-16-2003, 07:31 AM
wow that looks like fun i think it needs to be a bit less cloudy if that makes any sence.. but it has tons of form to play with

Antilles
03-16-2003, 11:23 AM
cloudy...you mean the atmospheric haze? I love that. Makes it feel kinda hot and dusty.

SheepFactory
03-16-2003, 05:54 PM
go roommate go :buttrock:

Mangled Poly
03-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Antilles
cloudy...you mean the atmospheric haze? I love that. Makes it feel kinda hot and dusty.

point taken do it then however.. can make it harder on you to make it look real :)

:zepedro:
03-18-2003, 02:47 AM
Hello, im waiting for that upload of a sketch:bounce:

:zepedro:
My thread on Outpost - VFX Challenge (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50180)

Antilles
03-18-2003, 07:10 AM
yes, thanks for asking, seriously! I'm glad that at least someone is watching this thread.

It is coming along, however, im taking a little longer than I would on a sketch, its more of a production painting type thing. Thanks for watching though! It will be up tomorrow.

EDIT: oh yes, Zepedro, your entry is so good it makes me sick. It would be a shame if something 'happened' to it. (empty ridiculous threat)

Antilles
03-19-2003, 03:15 AM
ok, heres a concept painting of the structures, of course, i might change a lot of stuff.

http://www.cgchallenge.com/entries/2771/33_large.jpg

I made a concept painting of the ship that flies past, but i decided to change the design, so im working on that now.

EDIT: if you havent figured it out already, this is the final picture, not the concept painting.

Jhonus
03-19-2003, 04:31 AM
nice, very nice conceptualizing.

lmdk
03-19-2003, 11:10 AM
that's great, nice composition !

Mangled Poly
03-19-2003, 04:31 PM
wow that could almost be final :) nice work ace

Stimpy
03-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Krugar
nice, very nice conceptualizing.

conceptualizing ? is that even a word ???

anyway, looking good so far.. i would only try to adjust the levels and colors in your background plate a bit. it looks a bit washed out right now

Antilles
03-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Thats what everyone says. However, I'm going to keep it that way, for a couple of reasons.

First of all, i dont really believe its that washed out, i think its within acceptable limits. My thinking is, the main indicator of things being washed out are the shadows, and in this environment, the shadows are getting a lot of fill light, not only from the sky, but from the canyon walls that are hit by light and are reflecting it back into the shadows. This is evident in the left concave cliff face. The area to the right of it is acting like a huge bounce card. So theres no place where there would be dark shadows, as everything is pretty much out in the open. I just dont want to pull those natural blue-ish shadows into black or near black.

Also, I think to change the levels or contrast would be to ruin the dusty, atmospheric feeling. Another thing to think about is this canyon face was photographed from a distance, and in my experience, the farther away something is, the more it can be washed out and look convincing, especially on a day like this. If it was up close, maybe I'd change the levels.

Regardless, thanks for your interest, you ever know, I might change my mind about all this in the future. On another note, I will upload a pic of the flying vehicle today.

CourtJester
03-19-2003, 10:33 PM
I do agree with you about the atmosphere, but a curves tweak in Photoshop could punch it up quite a bit without destroying it. That's what I found with my candidates for background (though the one I settled on didn't need it). I suspect you'll end up making that adjustment once you start tweaks to match up the 3D, but I could be wrong.

The test image is really promising, good work!

:applause:

Jhonus
03-19-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Stimpy
conceptualizing ? is that even a word ???

I dun noe... It is now... Antilles deserves a new word.

Antilles
03-20-2003, 01:02 AM
I deserve a new word. How about fantasticalismization.

Heres a monitoring craft, now mind you, its not a scientific craft, its sort of like a scout craft, looking for contact with life or something like that.

http://ali.cgcommunity.com/ship3.jpg

Mangled Poly
03-20-2003, 05:23 AM
Here figured i could help you fix up your image... see now you get the effect you want its the great backdrop you have wished for! :):buttrock:

Antilles
03-20-2003, 05:47 AM
lol, i love it! Im using this from now on. I can finish the challenge in a few minutes.

upon submitting:
"no, see that white shape is a spaceship, i know its hard to see but it makes a loop around the tower....the tower...that thing right there, i know its hard to see, the greyish streak"

Antilles
03-20-2003, 05:56 AM
heres my new plate.

Mangled Poly
03-20-2003, 06:07 AM
see i bring the inspiration!

Antilles
03-21-2003, 04:30 AM
ive decided my patrol craft looks too much like a tie fighter cockpit, so im going to change the window shape a little. I'm still doing a camera movement test but i dont know if I'll be able to post it or not.

Stimpy
03-21-2003, 06:40 AM
awww.. i liked it
it had a nice "captain future" 70s feel to it.

Antilles
03-25-2003, 12:21 AM
ok so the scout ship is almost done, it just needs a bit of texturing and a few minor tweaks here and there. Also, the canyon geometry is finished, now onto the structure modeling phase.

http://ali.cgcommunity.com/ship.jpg

http://ali.cgcommunity.com/wire.jpg

Mangled Poly
03-25-2003, 01:58 AM
sorry hard to crit the wire with all the white haze shit in the way :p:bounce:

Modulok
04-02-2003, 06:48 AM
About the haze....Imperfection is the key to perfection :thumbsup:

Nice work so far man!
-Modulok-

Mangled Poly
04-02-2003, 09:05 AM
UPDATE!!!!!!!!:beer:

E.Z. Schwartz
04-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Hey could you share with us how you made your mountain geometry match the photo so closely? I can't even match up a cube :)

robertp
04-09-2003, 11:04 AM
I think the lighting is coming along well as is the modeling.

Keep it going.

Rob:D

Antilles
05-01-2003, 07:26 AM
i present to you my entry.

http://ali.cgcommunity.com/final_big.jpg

And the link to the movie:

http://ali.cgcommunity.com/final_small2.mov

id like to thank everyone who helped me on cgtalk and the cgtalk irc channel, and thanks to ali for hosting it!

MikeRhone
05-02-2003, 03:38 AM
I like it a lot. I especially like the camera move in the begining of the clip.

If i were to make any suggestsions, it would be that the structures and slower ship are too bright for the back ground. I cant remember the technical name for it, but the dusty atmosphere seems to not have the same effect on the buildings that it does on the surrounding rock face. The shodaws need to be placed a little better around the main centre structure.

All in all a great piece though man...! Good work!

Mike R

Antilles
05-02-2003, 12:03 PM
thanks for the crits rhone. i understand what you mean about the whites being too white. I paid more attention to bringing up the black level and i didnt do much about the whites, though i think it doesnt stand out as much as too-dark blacks would. I am now tweaking the shot so I can put it on my reel, so I'll try to fix that, it should be easy. I am also putting in some more elements, like the hangar door in the center building opens but incredibly i forgot to add that layer, things like that.

I am also working on writing the process for what i did. I feel bad about not updating with progress, after all, it is a WIP challenge. I will post the process later.

Oh, and as for the shadows around the main structure, take a look at the shape of the structure itself, and then note how the light falls on it (the terminator line between light and shadow), then you'll realize why the shadows fall on the canyon the way they do.

onlooker
05-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Rhonedog
I like it a lot. I especially like the camera move in the begining of the clip.

If i were to make any suggestsions, it would be that the structures and slower ship are too bright for the back ground. I cant remember the technical name for it, but the dusty atmosphere seems to not have the same effect on the buildings that it does on the surrounding rock face. The shodaws need to be placed a little better around the main centre structure.

All in all a great piece though man...! Good work!

Mike R

That is what I was going to say. Just about. I noticed it on the furthest structure going up the mountain side first then it stood out a little more after looking around at it.

I however like the washed look a lot but it didn't blend into the whites that I was referring to on the pipes running up the mountain. I don't know what app your using, but if you can pull the map off and cloud it up a bit it should look pretty natural. I think your doing a great job BTW, and I love the intro flying ship.mov :applause:

JONO
05-08-2003, 09:30 AM
it reminds me of 'spaceball city' in SPACEBALLS THE MOVIE

Antilles
05-11-2003, 01:24 AM
just realized i wrote 'thats' instead of 'thanks' at the top of my last post, i edited it. I'm still trying to make at the very least a small list of what i did when working on this, though i have to say that my process is probably way different than the better VFX artists, so I dont know if i should post it if its the wrong way to do it.

Hellwolve
05-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Antilles
just realized i wrote 'thats' instead of 'thanks' at the top of my last post, i edited it. I'm still trying to make at the very least a small list of what i did when working on this, though i have to say that my process is probably way different than the better VFX artists, so I dont know if i should post it if its the wrong way to do it.

IMHO, there is no "wrong" way for anything CG. As long as it works, so I say: go ahead and post :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.