PDA

View Full Version : Instancing objects on particles

ultramedia
05-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to position geometry instances outside of PF at the position of every particle in a particle system? I know about creating shape instances inside of PF, and I know about mesher, but mesher only creates a single mesh, and I'd like a seperate object at each particle.

Specifically I'm using PF to place tree billboards over a terrain, and now I need to be able to place a dummy object (outside of and independant from PF) at the position of each particle. The objects don't have to be dynamically linked to the PF system, it can be a once off generation.

I'm using a game engine called kaneva that lets you export multiple objects as postion only information that the game engine uses to position instanced geometry at when its running.

Cheers,
Simon O

joconnell
05-23-2007, 10:16 PM
God bless bobo - http://scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs5/pflow/pflow__MovingObjects.htm

ronnieds
05-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi,

I was trying to do this excersice, but nothing happend. I can`t render, if the script has something to change, please tell me.

Thanks a lot,

Ronnie

WillRyan
06-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Bobo script: I ran into one strange little problem while going through Bobo's instructions: I'm sure I'm missing something due to my inexperience with Atmospheric Apparatus and the Fire Effect. When I render a single frame, everything is cool: fire follows along with the particles and moves the way I'd expect, but when I try to render an image sequence (quicktime as well as a png sequence), the fire effect doesn't render.

Any hints on what I'm doing wrong? I loaded up Bobo's max file in Max 9 for comparison's sake and everything works there as well. Kinda weird, but I'm sure it's on my end.

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2007, 05:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.