PDA

View Full Version : Homelander, Blackarts (2D)

Blackarts
03-16-2003, 04:24 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/763/homelander_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/763/homelander.jpg)

hey all,

Here is somehting I finished today, it was all done in Painter. Spent a little longer than normal polishing this one... I hope I didn't overdo it.

Comments always welcomed and encouraged.

Cheers,

DM

SEL
03-16-2003, 04:35 AM
Really great! I love the style and colors very much, superb...

im just wondering what the US flag in the background is representing with this piece???

SEL

.FX.
03-16-2003, 04:45 AM
Holy shit, nice!:buttrock:

DangerousLlama
03-16-2003, 04:46 AM
nice :thumbsup:

interesting armor

the gun in his right hand looks a bit off

Dun
03-16-2003, 04:47 AM
I love it!

Blackarts
03-16-2003, 05:21 AM
DangerousLlama you are right, the gun was off and you are the second person to mention it. I attempted a fix, I think it's looking better now. You might have to hit f5 to refresh the link...

DM

Agent D
03-16-2003, 06:19 AM
It looks very good, but it's hard to tell what you're saying with this image. The Japanese styled armor and swords don't help either. :shrug: Interesting weapons on his belt... are those RPGs, or some sort of grenade/remote bomb?

Array
03-16-2003, 06:53 AM
nice avatar. chaos undivided? :beer:

KolbyJukes
03-16-2003, 07:01 AM
The leg armour looks rushed, not nearly as impressive as the torso and head.

I really like the face.

JohnD
03-16-2003, 07:09 AM
Well the image definitely rocks. Great job...yet I too am just curious as to what the U.S. flag in the background represents. Is this a political statement?

Astral
03-16-2003, 07:30 AM
UH OH

I fear Retribution Mr. Vancouver

You better hide all the moose :rolleyes:

Nice picture none the less

moovieboy
03-16-2003, 07:37 AM
It's Saddam Hussein after suffering months of nuclear radiation and mutation... He's back in America and he's P*ISSED! :D

Very cool and worthy of a cover/splash page. More please!

-Tom

Astral
03-16-2003, 07:41 AM
:applause:

Blackarts
03-16-2003, 07:49 AM
Astral: There is nothing more deadly than a hidden moose. Didn't you know that?

John D, Agent D: Not really a political statement...more like a "I'm a crazy ass demon with guns and and swords in a post-nuclear landscape" kind of statement.

Kwak: Agreed, I'll clean it up a bit.

JohnD
03-16-2003, 07:52 AM
Gotcha. Just curious. :beer:

Astral
03-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Blackarts
Astral: There is nothing more deadly than a hidden moose. Didn't you know that?

I do now :beer:

aenema
03-16-2003, 08:48 AM
looks great, the only thing that catches my eye is that gun on the right seems bent a little, other then that its awesome :thumbsup:

Sketch23
03-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Nice job man. Cool skirt armour design. Those spike things are cool too. I think a different bg would be cool though. Anyways sweet ass job as usual:airguitar

souleage
03-16-2003, 09:35 AM
very nice!!!

Emmanuel
03-16-2003, 10:19 AM
Amazing !!!

KolbyJukes
03-16-2003, 11:04 AM
Hey Blackarts.

I read on your site that you mentor at a local film school, that wouldn't happen to be VFS would it?
Maybe I'll see you around, I start the 3d animation/SFX program there in May.

-Kol

And....um, I still love the face :eek:

nObedienz
03-16-2003, 11:41 AM
thats the best piece ive seen in a long time now..
what can i say? grats!
:scream:
my new wallpaper :beer:

eLm0
03-16-2003, 12:16 PM
blackart i love that point of view hehehe
big ass demon with guns no poltics involed hehe

deeper meaning my ass heheh:beer: :beer:

gr8 art work

Bladestone
03-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Very cool, I love the small attention to details... great chest, the um, stretch marks? (in the middle) looks cool, like the veins / arm details to... hmm painter. Haven't really tried that one yet, seemed like so many different inks and brushes to choose from. Looks like it gives more real paint / options then photoshop?

ZVAN
03-16-2003, 01:23 PM
phWoaR.. very NicE styLe! bettEr if he'S modeLLeD in 3d.. thaT'll be suPErB!:D

Rizzo
03-16-2003, 02:36 PM
great-great-great, its so evil !!! :thumbsup:

shambler
03-16-2003, 05:33 PM
awesome character design - keep that shit up!:buttrock:

Blackarts
03-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the comments.

fakie: I see what your talking about...I'll have to make some minor adjustments there. Good point.

KWAK: Yeah it's VFS....is it the Maya program you are taking? That's the one I mentor (sometimes). If not you probably won't see me around since I suck at XSI. =)

Regnan: If you havent tried painter I highly reccomend it. PS I feel has stronger tools for image editing and such, but you really can't beat the paint engine of Painter. They improved the brushes in PS 7, but they still arent really on the same level IMO. And little things like the ability to rotate the canvas, and use watercolor brushes make all the difference.

eLm0:

haha....ok- maybe a little bit of politics.

-D

Bladestone
03-16-2003, 06:33 PM
hmm, sounds like a good program then, specially if you can break out of the usual photoshop brushes... I'm using 6 and I'm finding the brushes are hard to manipulate, to get natural looking effects. They come across so soft for some reason.....

Not sure if you posted it on this forum yet but that other picture on your site is wicked.... that big guy with the wings and the bio-electric blades.... very cool :)

Blackarts
03-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Thanks John, I posted that one on here a while back. Nice to see you have been keeping your site up to date, and your new character is looking cool. If you are using PS 6 there is a tendency to overuse the airbrush, and everyhting starts looking soft and fluffy. Try using the regualr paintbrush and just blocking in color instead, It usually looks better I find.

Khannalxy'tys
03-16-2003, 07:47 PM
yeah .. whats with the US flag if you are like from vancouver?

flags usually raise so many political problems especially on an international board :P

LPlasma
03-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Who cares about the flag. :P It's a cool image. I think this summed it up nicely:
"John D, Agent D: Not really a political statement...more like a "I'm a crazy ass demon with guns and and swords in a post-nuclear landscape" kind of statement."

That's exactly the kind of logic i'd have if I was making a piece like that. I really like this piece as well btw, I'm a sucker for crazy things and akimbo pistols. GJ.

akela
03-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Who cares about the flag. :P It's a cool image.
LPlasma, you're right, man :) We all at this forum care about CG art (I hope...), so let's talk about this image...
Daryl, you got a nice piece of art here... but, as a couple of people said, what I found a little strange is the bending on the gun (the one on the character's left hand)... apparently there's actually a little bending that's more evident because of the reflections on the guns. It seems that it still need a little work... The other issue is that you put less details on the lower part of the armor, but it's a great image.

I like very much your portfolio. :)

shashi
03-16-2003, 10:50 PM
something with the angle at which his face and neck are turned hmmmm
maybe its just me and the fact that i need some sleep

natdogmmx
03-16-2003, 11:15 PM
Wow! really great work. It looks to me like a guy ready to kick butt after september 11.

BTW what kind of tablet are you using?

Blackarts
03-16-2003, 11:19 PM
i use a cheap ass wacom graphire. It's great, does everyhting I need it to do. In fact, I prefer it to the larger tablets which take up too much desk space, and require too much arm movement for my taste.

RIpsTer
03-16-2003, 11:38 PM
I really like this pic a lot. It has a very "strong" feel to it. I love the style too. If you dont mind my asking what's are some general tips to achive this coloring style in painter. Do you start with watercolors or acrylics or maybe pastels? I'm trying to convert to painter from photoshop and I can see the immense power this program has to offer but I'm having a hard time getting it all to come together right. The coloring style of this pic is wonderful and I would really like to know how to achieve that "painterly" look to my pictures too.

igotit
03-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Nice paint work. :)

I agree re-arm movement and Wacoms, I too use a graphire and it works like a dream. :thumbsup:

lildragon
03-17-2003, 02:06 AM
What can I say Daryl, you really out did yourself this time m8! I love the look, the colors, and even the character himself. I would just love to model it :) you've been doing alot of concept work lately and it's really paying off. Good for you :thumbsup: How long did this one take? You should make a vid or tut sometime ;)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Blackarts
03-17-2003, 02:18 AM
lildragon,

thanks! People have been asking for a tutorial for a while now, so I think I will sit down and put one together when I have some time. This one took about a week, mostly working a couple hours a night, and then a full saturday to complete.

Cheers

D

natdogmmx
03-17-2003, 06:23 AM
agian great work! about the tablet...you made that with a
Wacom Graphire2 WOW! now ill feel good about myself if i get the $80 cheap tablet. What do you think do i need to go with the
cheap one $80 or the $300 usd Wacom Intuos2 :shrug:

anyway keep it up :buttrock:

Bladestone
03-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Heya Daryl , glad you liked that model.... I'll try the new brush settings in pshop, thanks for the info :)

Blackarts
03-17-2003, 05:25 PM
natdogmmx:

Go with the 80$ one and save yourself a few bucks. They are almost identical except for a couple inches of space which you don't really need.

have fun!

Fellow
03-17-2003, 08:13 PM
just thought I'd drop in here and say great work, I love the character and the coloring that you did on him, very inspiring, also noticed you're from vancouver too, did you go to school/university/college out here?

Blackarts
03-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Fellow,

yeah, I went to art school out here for a bit, then dropped out and started working. Before that I went to the university of alberta.

zoso
03-18-2003, 12:25 AM
i like the tone, feel, costume, and setting...

i'm just not keen on the guys head. :hmm:

great work.

Reza_82ir
03-18-2003, 01:33 AM
:thumbsup:

natdogmmx
03-18-2003, 06:11 AM
Thanks! Blackarts all buy the $80 one

LATER!

Maximillion
03-20-2003, 07:32 PM
WHAT! I can't believe you posted that! Did you paint it with your butt? Jeeze man, maybe take a couple lessons!
And to think I have to work with you.... rough.
Well, I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it...:scream:

Blackarts
03-20-2003, 11:36 PM
maximillion, you just shattered my confidence. I will never do art again. Thanks for ruining my life!

As revenge I will destroy you in Puzzle Fighter... ;)

motion_82
04-03-2003, 10:00 AM
love everything but the head

change the head and it will be perfect

_________
Motion2082 :bounce:

Jokke
04-08-2003, 02:14 PM
really nice :D love your style! wicked! ...but awesome!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.